By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Angry readers want Gamespot reviewer fired after her GTA V review

nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:
gwrath said:
killerzX said:
nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:
nuckles87 said:

i identify as the color blue. please respect that.

and as long as he has an X and Y chromosome, he's a guy. deal with it.

People like yourself with no tolerance for others are becoming the minority. Deal with it.

oh i torerate people like him, but just because he has a disorder that inspired him to cut off his penis, doesnt mean i have to call him a girl.

I like being scientificly and biologically correct with my pronouns.

Nsanity said:

Sorry for being off topic, but what restrooms would she be allowed to use?

Given that she identifies as a woman....the women's restroom, obviously.

bold: sweet, i identify as a little girl. I guess that means i get to use the female locker room.

unfortuntately, this is actually the case. All i have to do is say im a women, and the PC, anti-science police/politicans will allow me to use the women's locker room.

Around the Network
misterchoc90 said:
Fayceless said:
misterchoc90 said:

But in the male-dominated sub-culture of gaming, it would appear that feminine-biased opinons are utterly unacceptable.  I find that to be unacceptable.  It's fine to disagree, but this outcry is ridiculous and appalling.

Her bias was as bad as for example me (a PS3 fanboy) saying "Hey, Halo is only for XBox and I don't really like that particular console, so it's going to get a 90". For a reviewer like her it's unprofessional and something I didn't really expect from Gamespot. Probably from IGN lol.

It's nothing the same as console fanboyism.  Not at all.  It's a perfectly valid opinion.  Anything that legitimately detracts from the reviewers enjoyment of the game should be considered in the final score.  And her complaint is legitimate.  Just because males are less likely to be offended doesn't make it any less legitimate.  It may be some people's opinion that Rockstar has some literary geniuses on staff and the game is one big, deep allegorical commentary on society, but obviously some reviewers think otherwise, and they have every right to think so and factor that opinion into the game's review.  It's not unprofessional, it's honest.  And that's all I really expect from reviews.

-insert Captain Picard facepalming here- Some people need to re-evaluate their lives.

Read his review. I think if he is foing to have a job as a reviewer he should know definitions of words. Like misogyny and hypocrisy. Hilarious as my first post in this thread said these are the two most commonly misused words that i see around here. It isnt hypocritical thinking that torture wont work but when you torture someone it actually does. And having characters treat women like shit doesnt make the game misofynistic either.

killerzX said:
nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:
gwrath said:
killerzX said:
nuckles87 said:
killerzX said:
nuckles87 said:

i identify as the color blue. please respect that.

and as long as he has an X and Y chromosome, he's a guy. deal with it.

People like yourself with no tolerance for others are becoming the minority. Deal with it.

oh i torerate people like him, but just because he has a disorder that inspired him to cut off his penis, doesnt mean i have to call him a girl.

I like being scientificly and biologically correct with my pronouns.

Nsanity said:

Sorry for being off topic, but what restrooms would she be allowed to use?

Given that she identifies as a woman....the women's restroom, obviously.

bold: sweet, i identify as a little girl. I guess that means i get to use the female locker room.

unfortuntately, this is actually the case. All i have to do is say im a women, and the PC, anti-science police/politicans will allow me to use the women's locker room.

I like that you think someone psychologically thinking they're something, is the same as you telling a bold faced lie to try and make a flimsy argument. 

Around the Network
RenSuzugamori said:

I like that you think someone psychologically thinking they're something, is the same as you telling a bold faced lie to try and make a flimsy argument. 

Okay, i know a bum who thinks he is God. Should i call him god and worship him? No, because he isnt god.

Max King of the Wild said:
Read his review. I think if he is foing to have a job as a reviewer he should know definitions of words. Like misogyny and hypocrisy. Hilarious as my first post in this thread said these are the two most commonly misused words that i see around here. It isnt hypocritical thinking that torture wont work but when you torture someone it actually does. And having characters treat women like shit doesnt make the game misofynistic either.

Precisely. Maybe the game is misogynistic; I don't know. Maybe the game is wish-washy on the characters' politics; again, I don't know. But none of the examples she brought up correctly embody those ideas. If these were genuine issues present in the game, she needed to take the time to demonstrate that.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mythmaker1 said:

Precisely. Maybe the game is misogynistic; I don't know. Maybe the game is wish-washy on the characters' politics; again, I don't know. But none of the examples she brought up correctly embody those ideas. If these were genuine issues present in the game, she needed to take the time to demonstrate that.

Yeah, last GTA game I played was Vice City too. But the reviewer brought up a radio ad saying for a perfume said "smell like a bitch" and then she points out masculinity is sterotyped by fast cars.... Then says that its not satire... again, I think the reviewer needs a dictionary because I'm pretty sure the game is making fun of consumerism and how companies sell their product with satirical ads.

Only way, in my opinion, you can classify a game a misogynistic if the point of the game was misogynistic. For example, a game where all you do is go home and beat your wife or you can only kill women. But honestly, its a game about crime. I doubt the criminals are going to be hanging out with a strong female role model. It would be like watching Saturday Night Fever and saying the movie is misogynistic because John Travolta calls women bitches, cunts and lets his friends rape a woman. The character may be misogynistic but it doesn't make the movie that. That is the story that someone decided to tell and if you are so naive to think people like that dont exist then I don't know what to say.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Serious_frusting said:

wow she looks very manly.

If she should die its because of her looks, not her opinion on a game that is probably way overated anyway. I aint played it yet so I cant say for sure. All I know is, I'm not buying this game until I try it. Not after GTA4.

Thats because shes a transgender. Have a heart, bro.

Well then people are still getting upset over nothing, as he did give the game a good score.

Mythmaker1 said:

Yeah, last GTA game I played was Vice City too. But the reviewer brought up a radio ad saying for a perfume said "smell like a bitch" and then she points out masculinity is sterotyped by fast cars.... Then says that its not satire... again, I think the reviewer needs a dictionary because I'm pretty sure the game is making fun of consumerism and how companies sell their product with satirical ads.

Only way, in my opinion, you can classify a game a misogynistic if the point of the game was misogynistic. For example, a game where all you do is go home and beat your wife or you can only kill women. But honestly, its a game about crime. I doubt the criminals are going to be hanging out with a strong female role model. It would be like watching Saturday Night Fever and saying the movie is misogynistic because John Travolta calls women bitches, cunts and lets his friends rape a woman. The character may be misogynistic but it doesn't make the movie that. That is the story that someone decided to tell and if you are so naive to think people like that dont exist then I don't know what to say.

I more or less agree. For me to consider a game misogynistic, it would have to do two things: one, present women (not just a woman, but women in general) in a negative or legitimately disempowered fashion; two, present that as somehow being okay. Without both, it's simply representing misogyny, not promoting it.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.