By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Angry readers want Gamespot reviewer fired after her GTA V review

Zekkyou said:
iceboy151 said:
It wasn't so much the score, it was the negatives she brought up.

That's the impression i got. The matter of sexism towards either men or woman is a rather touchy subject these days, since everyone is offended by damn near everything...

My buddy is a gamedev and they get regular emails demanding females in their game. Him and I had a few whiskeys and talked about it and in the end it just came flooding out of my mouth:

"If they want fucking females in games then they should go and make their fucking own!"

Perhaps a little crude, but WHAT THE HELL is wrong with these feminists!? The MAJORITY of gamers are male, and the overwhelming MAJORITY of gamedevs are male.

Around the Network

Well duh, Carolyn, the whole context of GTA games lends itself to demeaning women..while I agree about issues of sexism in the industry, etc...not every game has to start, from now on, pandering to more demographics.As more and more women start playing (console) games and join the industry, perhaps some of those issues will correct themselves, but again, not every game has to, and GTA, due to its very nature, is one of them.

I'm a huge GTA fan and I would give GTA V 8.5/10. A 9/10 from gamespot is a very good score for the game. Be happy about it.

Funny how the angry idiots did not even play the game and still demanded 10/10. Lowlifes.

Dr.Grass said:
Zekkyou said:
iceboy151 said:

That's the impression i got. The matter of sexism towards either men or woman is a rather touchy subject these days, since everyone is offended by damn near everything...

My buddy is a gamedev and they get regular emails demanding females in their game. Him and I had a few whiskeys and talked about it and in the end it just came flooding out of my mouth:

"If they want fucking females in games then they should go and make their fucking own!"

Perhaps a little crude, but WHAT THE HELL is wrong with these feminists!? The MAJORITY of gamers are male, and the overwhelming MAJORITY of gamedevs are male.

In many gaming media outlets and places, it's the hot topic at the moment, one side of the coin says 'Why are there not more female leads in games?' The other side says 'Female leads do not sell.'

Jim Sterling has talked a lot recently about both issues. He highlighted how Remember Me developers had to argue their point to make sure a strong female character was the lead role as publishers didn't like the idea as male protagonists sell. Even in one of his most recent videos he goes on about how Puppetteer developer was asked why players are not offered as choice at the start if they want to play as male or female. That to me makes no sense to me as it shouldn't matter, it's not like Bioware games where even the choice/design of your character can influence other characters decisions. It's a self contained story with a cute character as the player controlled character. But the question didn't come from a female gamer, it came from a male.

Men also have this concern but it's a matter of taste sometimes in where it fits. Remember Me was probably better with a female lead, for Puppetteer it wouldn't matter however if the creator wants a the lead to be male in gender. Leads in a game may matter to the creator, story and/or interaction. Yet just ironing out portrayal of female characters, making sure they aren't just there for the male gamers to oggle and they aren't over sexualised.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Dr.Grass said:
Zekkyou said:
iceboy151 said:

In many gaming media outlets and places, it's the hot topic at the moment, one side of the coin says 'Why are there not more female leads in games?' The other side says 'Female leads do not sell.'

Jim Sterling has talked a lot recently about both issues. He highlighted how Remember Me developers had to argue their point to make sure a strong female character was the lead role as publishers didn't like the idea as male protagonists sell. Even in one of his most recent videos he goes on about how Puppetteer developer was asked why players are not offered as choice at the start if they want to play as male or female. That to me makes no sense to me as it shouldn't matter, it's not like Bioware games where even the choice/design of your character can influence other characters decisions. It's a self contained story with a cute character as the player controlled character. But the question didn't come from a female gamer, it came from a male.

Men also have this concern but it's a matter of taste sometimes in where it fits. Remember Me was probably better with a female lead, for Puppetteer it wouldn't matter however if the creator wants a the lead to be male in gender. Leads in a game may matter to the creator, story and/or interaction. Yet just ironing out portrayal of female characters, making sure they aren't just there for the male gamers to oggle and they aren't over sexualised.

You sound like an anthropology student.

Around the Network
Equinoxe said:
I'm a huge GTA fan and I would give GTA V 8.5/10. A 9/10 from gamespot is a very good score for the game. Be happy about it.

Funny how the angry idiots did not even play the game and still demanded 10/10. Lowlifes.

No, they're actually pissed because they believe (and perhaps they're right) that the reviewer has a case of the penis-envy and therefore slighted the game because of that.

I know a few German woman (unfortunately I might add) that daily go into tantrums about feminism and racism. They're fucking bonkers sometimes.

She should've just ignored her sexism angle and reviewed it as a friggin' videogame then she could've continued the dream of hanging out with the boys and playing videogames. I mean, that's all she really wanted isn't it?

GTA V fan stabbed and robbed of game by another GTAV fan

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/506759/20130917/gta-5-colindale-stabbed-robbed-game-asda.htm

Dr.Grass said:
She should've just ignored her sexism angle and reviewed it as a friggin' videogame then she could've continued the dream of hanging out with the boys and playing videogames. I mean, that's all she really wanted isn't it?

Apparently she has the xy chromosome...

Viktor said:
GTA V fan stabbed and robbed of game by another GTAV fan

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/506759/20130917/gta-5-colindale-stabbed-robbed-game-asda.htm

nothing to do with this thread at all