By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do people care so much about the last guardian? Would it actually even sell well?

How would it sell?

2mil + 77 38.12%

1mil+ 50 24.75%

900k 10 4.95%

800k 6 2.97%

700k 5 2.48%

600k 5 2.48%

500k 16 7.92%

400k 2 0.99%

100-300k 11 5.45%

Wonderful 101 levels! xD 20 9.90%

Total:202

Gee, this reminds me. Any word on Agent?

Around the Network

oh man i made a thread like this a few days ago!

@OP

You want to know the honest answer? Because in an industry now saturated by "realistic" games that more often than not revolve somehow around shooting things with guns, The Last Guardian seems DIFFERENT.

And different is a valuable commodity to a lot of gamers these days. I know it is to me. I'm very bummed that it won't be coming to PS3, because I do not plan on buying a PS4 any time within the next couple years.

kupomogli said:
Th3PANO said:
Probably because important key persons left.....

A few did, but you've got many different franchises that were good that went down hill.  The Seiken Densetsu franchise, the Front Mission franchise(although I've heard 5 was good, FM4 sucked,) the SaGa Franchise, Brave Fencer Musashi, etc.  It wasn't just the main franchise those few key members worked on, it was just about every single franchise that Square Enix owned, going from really good to garbage. 

As good as Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was, it had some very poor design decisions.  The key Final Fantasy members that left didn't work on Final Fantasy Tactics.

Why do you ignore every other good title they've developed or published since the merger?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

Why do you ignore every other good title they've developed or published since the merger?

I'm not ignoring anything.  They've made "some" good titles, but they've also made a lot of crap before and after the merger, and this is all compared to the PSX where every game that Squaresoft released was quality.

I'm only pointing out that even a company that has a long list of amazing titles can release crap eventually.  There nothing to say how many games are going to be good before one is crap.  That's the point I'm making.  Don't judge a game based on just a CG video or even if it's a good developer because it's not guaranteed to be good.  

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

I personally don't care and no one else should either.  

I stopped reading what you were saying after this sentence, and everyone else should do so as well.

kupomogli said:
outlawauron said:

I'm not ignoring anything.  They've made "some" good titles, but they've also made a lot of crap before and after the merger, and this is all compared to the PSX where every game that Squaresoft released was quality.

I'm only pointing out that even a company that has a long list of amazing titles can release crap eventually.  There nothing to say how many games are going to be good before one is crap.  That's the point I'm making.  Don't judge a game based on just a CG video or even if it's a good developer because it's not guaranteed to be good.  

unless its made by naughty dog. thats just TRUTHFACT

bananaking21 said:

unless its made by naughty dog. thats just TRUTHFACT

Jak 2 proves that even Naughty Dog can make a shitty game, and after only one good game for that IP.

kupomogli said:
outlawauron said:

But this isn't true. Plenty of Squaresoft titles got averages in the 70s or below.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
kupomogli said:

But this isn't true. Plenty of Squaresoft titles got averages in the 70s or below.

Searching Squaresoft as a company on Metacritic, there is no score on PSX below 79.  All PSX games are not reviewed through Metacritic, games like Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier, Front Mission 3, etc.  So let's just use IGN, as garbage of a site as it may be.  Nothing is below a 7 and many people will argue the 7/10 scores that both SaGa Frontier scores received because the games are amazing. 

Looking around elsewhere, Gamespot gave Ehrgeiz a 5.8 and while I didn't read the review, it's probably some biased review bashing the game just because it has Final Fantasy characters so it must not be much of a fighting game.  However, Gamespot gave Tobal No. 1 a 7.4 and that's a piece of shit.  A Squaresoft game I actually forgot about even though I own it.

Okay, so one bad game on the PSX and debatable another.  That proves my point even further.  Squaresoft was able to make all those great games on the PSX and still made one bad game.  Not even 10 years later they release garbage left and right.  You can't guarantee the Ico Team won't make a bad game as well.