By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - “The new console war will reinvigorate the industry” says Playstation America CEO Jack Tretton

I disagree with that statement, "the games industry is healthier then ever". Way to many consoles are on the market and many like me are tired buying a new console ever 5 to 7 years. Some developers want the consoles to only last five years. Other developers look at the rising development cost and want the consoles to stay a long time. I don't have it in me to fork 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a new console. I will buy one more next generation console to company the Wii U and I am never buying another console again. My money will go to games from there. The elders can't see spending 400 dollars, and the young can't afford it. The way the Wii U is selling, this is not the end.

Around the Network

Dear Sony and also Microsoft

Thank you for killing the industry with your long console generation in the first place.

PigPen said:
I disagree with that statement, "the games industry is healthier then ever". Way to many consoles are on the market any many like me are tired buying a new console ever 5 to 7 years. Some developers want the consoles to only last five years. Other developers look at the rising development costt and want the consoles to stay a long time. I don't have it in me to fork 3 to 4 hundred dollars for a new console. I will buy one more next generation console to company the Wii U and I am never buying another console again. My money will go to games from there. The elders can't see spending 400 dollars, and the young can't afford it. The way the Wii U is selling, this is not the end.

it's less often than any other device is at the forefront of the industry.  Buy a phone?  It's outdated in a year at most by the newer model.  Buy a tablet or computer?  Same story.  Game consoles are well supported for years and years.  They provide awesome value and are continually giving you reasons to buy through new software.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

BasilZero said:

Giant Enemy Crab, is that you?

BasilZero said:

Tretton also threw down the gauntlet to the PC and handhelds: “This will be the biggest launch in history, and you are going to see validation that gaming is healthier than it’s ever been, and the console is at the top of the entertainment pyramid”.

*facepalm*

Scream louder Jack, Valve can't hear you over the sound of actually making profit every quarter.

Having about 1000 games at 1080/60fps helps too though!

Around the Network
badgenome said:
BasilZero said:

Giant Enemy Crab, is that you?

Lol

The controller looks better looking at it from the top.

Define "healthy". We have more choices than ever before, but there has been a strain on many developers and publishers in this era of competition. I am curious as to emerging markets in Asia and South America and how they will effect the industry.