Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo: CE vs. Metroid Prime

Tagged games:

Which one?

Halo: Combat Evolved 28 28.28%

Metroid Prime 61 61.62%

Too close to call 3 3.03%

Haven't played them 7 7.07%

Total:99

So I wanted to make a thread comparing two contemporaneous games with similar features (story, gameplay, setting, etc.) to get a sense of which is the fan favorite.

This inagural thread is Halo: Combat Evolved vs. Metroid Prime. If this is at all popular, I'll post some more threads with new head-to-head match-ups.

So why Halo and Metroid Prime? They came out around the same time -- November, 2001 for Halo and November, 2002 for Prime -- they share a similar aesthetic, and they both feature an epic sci-fi storyline and a first-person perspective, although, obviously, they belong to different genres. Also, they're both critically acclaimed: each earned a 97 on Metacritic. And, finally, they were both marquee games for the Xbox and Gamecube. They showed off the processing power of each system and demonstrated the creative talent working for Microsoft and Nintendo, respectively.

So which do you like best?

P.S. Please obscure any spoilers with the spoiler_text style.

Edit: check out Super Mario World vs. Sonic the Hedgehog, too.

Around the Network

I haven't played metroid 1 but I played 3, and its story was almost non-existent and when it did make an appearance it was horribly told. Would have better as something more abstract and silent.

I prefer metroid for its atmosphere and sense of discovery but halo has the more interesting combat.

Really hoping to see a metroid 4 this gen, hopefully they learn how to deal with stories and emotion this time.

Metroid Prime (arguably) has a better Single Player

Halo CE has a better multiplayer

So I like them both for their own reasons...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Metroid NES is my favorite game of all time. (Have to make that clear before I pull samus' ponytail.)

Halo CE has the best physics, AI, vehicles, music, multiplayer, and wider spaces.

Metroid Prime has the best puzzle, retraversal, color & art, atmosphere, and upgrade system.

I'v beat them both at least 4 times. On my own I'd sa Metroid Prime is the best. But because of co-op and secrets I'd say Halo CE is better. Halo 2-4 are worse than Metroid Prime 1-2 however.

What seals the deal in halo ce as no. 1 for me is the gameplay. The fire fights are the very best in any game i have ever played. Halo 2-4 had aweful firefights compared to combat evolved. It's a masterpiece that will never get fully replicated.

I played both of them but I didn't beat them. I definitely prefer Metroid Prime!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

Metroid Prime. But oh lawdy that mp in CE...

snyps said:

Metroid NES is my favorite game of all time. (Have to make that clear before I pull samus' ponytail.)

Halo CE has the best physics, AI, vehicles, music, multiplayer, and wider spaces.

Metroid Prime has the best puzzle, retraversal, color & art, atmosphere, and upgrade system.

I'v beat them both at least 4 times. On my own I'd sa Metroid Prime is the best. But because of co-op and secrets I'd say Halo CE is better. Halo 2-4 are worse than Metroid Prime 1-2 however.

What seals the deal in halo ce as no. 1 for me is the gameplay. The fire fights are the very best in any game i have ever played. Halo 2-4 had aweful firefights compared to combat evolved. It's a masterpiece that will never get fully replicated.

Great point. A big part of what makes Halo so legendary are those firefights. They require you to be smart and tactical, and improvise with the weapons and items at hand. 

Tough one. Both are great for different reasons, but since I prefer the campaign element in games since I'm mostly a solitary gamer, I would have to go with MP since I had a bit more fun with that one (but Halo CE was great too).

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Metroid Prime is my all time favorite game. The atmosphere, feeling of being alone, exploration, having to discover the story instead of it just being told to u, weapons, boss fights are the things that stood out for me.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

teigaga said:
I haven't played metroid 1 but I played 3, and its story was almost non-existent and when it did make an appearance it was horribly told. Would have better as something more abstract and silent.

I prefer metroid for its atmosphere and sense of discovery but halo has the more interesting combat.

Really hoping to see a metroid 4 this gen, hopefully they learn how to deal with stories and emotion this time.

@bolded: Yep, that's exactly how the first Metroid Prime's story was and it was done spectacularly. Prime 3's storytelling was abysmal, IMO.

OT: Prime wins easily for me but it's also a contender for the single best polygonal-based game ever made along with Zelda:OoT, Majora's Mask and the original Bioshock.

I still think the first Halo was a terrific game.