By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 'Nintendo could be on a path to irrelevance', says Atari founder

Out of curiosity Snyps (Want to know if this is worth continuing).

If WiiU sells 30M and PS4 and/or XBone sells 100M and PS4 and/or Xbone has 90% of the 3rd party titles while WiiU does not, and WiiU makes the most overall profit, would the WiiU be the next gen King?

I truly hope you do not say "Yes".

Remember, successful king or failure of a king, you are still a king. (Talking about overall customer market and mindshare)

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:

Euphoria14 said:

You can bring your profits argument all you want, but if you even try to argue that N64 and Gamecube dominated PS1 and PS2 you are 100% wrong. Come on now, you're talking about the (2) best selling gaming home consoles of all time! PS1/PS2 didn't have all the profitablilty of Nintendo (Mainly due to the handhelds) but who had the customers? Who had the games? Who controlled the market?

That is what makes you king. Not who made the most money while controlling little to nothing of the home console space.

What happens when you wage a war of attrition? You deplete your war chest, borrow money, and hopefully enjoy your reign for a little while before you're thrown into exile. Ps1/2 controlled the console space for 10 years, yes. What happened to the profits? They're GONE! only 1 billion profit left to show for it. What do they have to show for it? Credit! in the minds of fans and supporters. The next phase is the eventual exile. The tortoise and the hair.

That's all great, but before that time came that person was still the king, which means Nintendo was not king for the last 30 years.

You're talking about market dominance of consoles between 95-05. Of coarse i agree with you. Im not thick. Our definitions of what make a true king are different. As the most powerful man in history once said. ~"As long as i control a nations currency, I care not who makes their laws." This thread is about longevity, longevity is about profits.

snyps said:
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:

Euphoria14 said:

You can bring your profits argument all you want, but if you even try to argue that N64 and Gamecube dominated PS1 and PS2 you are 100% wrong. Come on now, you're talking about the (2) best selling gaming home consoles of all time! PS1/PS2 didn't have all the profitablilty of Nintendo (Mainly due to the handhelds) but who had the customers? Who had the games? Who controlled the market?

That is what makes you king. Not who made the most money while controlling little to nothing of the home console space.

What happens when you wage a war of attrition? You deplete your war chest, borrow money, and hopefully enjoy your reign for a little while before you're thrown into exile. Ps1/2 controlled the console space for 10 years, yes. What happened to the profits? They're GONE! only 1 billion profit left to show for it. What do they have to show for it? Credit! in the minds of fans and supporters. The next phase is the eventual exile. The tortoise and the hair.

That's all great, but before that time came that person was still the king, which means Nintendo was not king for the last 30 years.

You're talking about market dominance of consoles between 95-05. Of coarse i agree with you. Im not thick. Our definitions of what make a true king are different. As the most powerful man in history once said. ~"As long as i control a nations currency, I care not who makes their laws." This thread is about longevity, longevity is about profits.

Then Microsoft and/or Apple are King.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

@Snyps

It is 2:00am where I live, so I am off to bed. Will check responses in the morning.

This is was a fun conversation. I had a good time debating with you.

Good night.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:

Out of curiosity Snyps (Want to know if this is worth continuing).

If WiiU sells 30M and PS4 and/or XBone sells 100M and PS4 and/or Xbone has 90% of the 3rd party titles while WiiU does not, and WiiU makes the most overall profit, would the WiiU be the next gen King?

I truly hope you do not say "Yes".

Remember, successful king or failure of a king, you are still a king. (Talking about overall customer market and mindshare)

If all that matters is that PS & XBOX have 90% of 3rd parties and 100m sold. Why doesn't sony & ms give their systems away for free? They are mega corporations. They can afford it.

In terms of market dominance: No. But market dominace means little to me as a Nintendo fan. I care about their longevity.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:

Not of the games industry.

You guys making the argument that "nobody" cared about the N64 really need to stop. Nobody cares, yet Ocarina of Time regularly tops greatest game of all time lists.

If "nobody" cared, that wouldn't happen. Basically, speaking in absolutes is a really silly thing to do.

VGChartz

snyps said:
Euphoria14 said:
snyps said:

Not of the games industry.

Nintendo are purely a video game company. So their profits have to come from the hardware and the software. Sony and MS on the other hand use their consoles to push other aspects of their companies. That's why Nintendo will most likely alway have the highest profit margins. I'm not downplaying though, it is a great achievement. I'm just saying that looking at the profit alone when it comes to Sony and MS tends to be misleading.

milkyjoe said:
You guys making the argument that "nobody" cared about the N64 really need to stop. Nobody cares, yet Ocarina of Time regularly tops greatest game of all time lists.

If "nobody" cared, that wouldn't happen. Basically, speaking in absolutes is a really silly thing to do.

It's obviously an exaggeration. I myself had a N64.

Currently playing:

I don't get the point of this thread. You could make the same argument for any company that has to do with anything. People and taste change and nothing is forever. So,what exactly are you trying to prove?