By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Breaking Even, Profits with Software!

Xenostar said:
Seece said:
Xenostar said:
Seece said:
bobgamez said:
so...why isnt it cheaper?

Because MS are a very money minded company, whereas Sony's aim is to sell hardware being strcitly a hardware company.

Do you know Sony?

Strictly Hardware my ass.

What software do they sell? Other than life insurance I'm not sure what sony do other than hardware. Regardless that's their main staple and that's why they're so intent on shipping the most.

Biggest Music Producer

Big Film Producer

Loads of software studios all around the world, you remember naughty dog right?

Why would shipping the most reguardless of profit make any sence, if they were just a hardware producer, profit on hardware would be the only consideration. 

lol I actually forgot about their music and film studios so yes shame on me. Game studios I was factoring in as part and parcel of gaming hardware.

They are still more a company focused on hardware than MS however, up until recently I don't think hardware was a main focus of MS as long as the software (on Xbox) sold and made a decent profit.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
mutantclown said:
I find hard to believe a single word that comes out of MS' mouth, I don't know why...

you dont?  really?

probably because of the confusing pr ever since E3, one day they say something the next you hear the complite opposite

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

kowenicki said:
chapset said:
kowenicki said:
mutantclown said:
I find hard to believe a single word that comes out of MS' mouth, I don't know why...

you dont?  really?

probably because of the confusing pr ever since E3, one day they say something the next you hear the complite opposite

no, i dont think thats the reason.

And I know the reason my comment hurts your butt so much, so whatever...

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags

Wht a surprise statement...
It's not like a big investor recently suggested to remove the XBox/EDD division from MS. Oh, wait....
And you expect an MS bigshot to announce that XBox One will lose money in the beginning? Now that would give a sign to other investors to not thnk about getting rid of edd.
Of course MS is losing money on XBox One initially, just like Sony is with the PS4.

Can we cut the immature crap out and get back on topic?

Around the Network

Sound strategy by MS. I said this before price at $500 in 2013 really doesnt matter. They will sell out. It is in 2014 where price could be an issue and MS will be in a position to change prices faster than Sony PS4 if the need arises.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

MonstaMack said:
It's a total 180 in terms of past console launchs. When your profiting at launch and Nintendo isn't... lol is all I can say.
Gives strong hope for people who want a price cut, but I hope it sells very well at $500.

Wasn't it the same deal with Nintendo? Didn't wii u only need one software sold for it to break even?

Comparing XBox with XBOne, it looks like after all making a PC-like console can actually be a good and profitable idea, as long as you don't buy the CPUs from Intel and you don't sign horribly one-sided deals with NVidia for the GPUs. Otherwise, better sticking to PowerPC, without adding too many funny things to IBM's fine design (and Motorola's too, credit due for the original PPC project).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I always try to interpret the Gif in your sig and I can't do it. Care to explain?

Goatseye said:

I always try to interpret the Gif in your sig and I can't do it. Care to explain?

I suppose you quoted me..?

In that case, the point is that Nintendo just does their thing and goes full steam ahead. And then Microsofts car, which almost hits Nintendo, gets overrun by Sony. The gif was made right after E3 (I believe) if that helps understanding the whole Sony crashing MS thing :p

Also, I think the cycle represent that Nintendo have a weaker console. I'm not sure though.