By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese milestones

Will Wii hit 3 million sold in Japan before PS3 hits 1 million sold?

Currently Wii is over 2.2 million in Japan, while PS3 is at 889,000.

Given sales of 80,000 vs. 11,000 per week, for 10 weeks, they would reach the respective milestones at the same time.  However, for the next ten weeks I think sales will be within the following ranges:

Wii - 63,000 to 87,000 for the next ten weeks (Golden Week, DQ Swords in July) .

PS3 - 8,500 to 28,500 for the next ten weeks (Ninja Gaiden is in June right?, if not more like 8.5 k to 14k).

I'm guessing an average of 9,000 for PS3 and 72,000 for Wii, putting Wii at 3 million within 11 weeks, while PS3 will reach 1 million in 12 weeks.  We'll know in about 3 months which milestone happened first.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Ninja Gaiden is released June 14th.  Should give PS3 a little boost, but little boosts every couple months isn't going to get it done.  They need a constant stream of games.  Last PS3 release: March 31st.  Next PS3 release: June 14th.  that's 2 and a half months.

I basically agree with your predictions because there is no new game for 7+ weeks, and sales will fall below 10k. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Surely there are PS3 releases - just not big games? They can't seriously have a gap in their schedule where ZERO titles are coming out? Didn't Sony's schedule have 20-30 games over the next quarter?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

There are games being released I dunno what you're talkin' about.......

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Actually, Wii is at almost 2.3M already, so it only needs to sell just over 700k to get to 3M. With the higher production Nintendo has promised I think they should be able to at least reach the 70-80k level on a weekly basis, so if we include some higher sales for Golden Week it should take them somewhere between 8 and 10 weeks. I don't think PS3 will drop to an average of 9k a week, it's still selling about 20 to 30% above that level so far. Going for about 10-11k average weekly sales and then adding Golden Week, Ninja Gaiden and any other positive news released which could increase sales I think it will also take them 8-10 weeks to reach 1M. So I think it will be very close and even possible they will reach the milestones at the same week.

Around the Network

ckmlb --> there aren't any BIG games released in JAPAN during that timeframe.

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------

From IGN.com here is the Japaneese game release schedule for the PS3 ... This is probably not accurate much past June because more games will be announced at E3 (June) and TGS (September).

date game titlepublishergenre
June 14,2007 Ninja Gaiden Sigma [JA] Tecmo Action
June 30,2007 EyeCreate [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Productivity
July 05,2007 Boku no Natsu Yasumi 3: Summer Holidays 20th Century [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Adventure
July 31,2007 Hot Shots Golf 5 [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Sports
Action
September 30,2007 Home [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Productivity
December 30,2007 Beautiful Katamari [JA] Namco Bandai Action
December 30,2007 Devil May Cry 4 [JA] Capcom Action
December 31,2007 Afrika [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Action
December 31,2007 Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War [JA] KOEI Strategy
December 31,2007 Castlevania PS3 [JA] Konami Action
Adventure
December 31,2007 Fatal Frame PS3 [JA] Tecmo Adventure
December 31,2007 Fatal Inertia [JA] KOEI Racing
Action
December 31,2007 Folks Soul: The Lost Folklore [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Adventure
December 31,2007 Goodnavigate Mystery Adventure [Working Title] [JA] Goodnavigate Adventure
December 31,2007 Gradius PS3 [JA] Konami Shooter
December 31,2007 Jikkyou Pawafuru Puro Yakyuu PS3 [JA] Konami Sports
Action
December 31,2007 Konami PS3 Action Project [untitled] [JA] Konami Action
December 31,2007 Konami PS3 RPG [untitled] [JA] Konami RPG
December 31,2007 Marionette PS3 War Simulation [untitled] [JA] Marionette Simulation
December 31,2007 Martial Art [JA] D3 Publisher Action
December 31,2007 Monster Hunter 3 [JA] Capcom Action
December 31,2007 Ni-Oh [JA] KOEI Action
TBA 2007 Romance of the Three Kingdoms PS3 [JA] KOEI Strategy
December 31,2007 Soulcalibur IV [Untitled] [JA] Namco Bandai Fighting
December 31,2007 Square Enix Next-Gen MMORPG [untitled] [JA] Square Enix RPG
December 31,2007 Team Siren Project [Untitled] [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Adventure
December 31,2007 tri-Crescendo PS3 Project [untitled] [JA] *TBA RPG
December 31,2007 Way of the Samurai 3 [JA] Spike Action
Adventure
December 31,2007 White Knight Story [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment RPG
December 31,2007 Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer PS3 [untitled] [JA] Konami Sports
March 31,2008 Gran Turismo 5 [JA] Sony Computer Entertainment Racing
December 31,2008 Final Fantasy Versus XIII [JA] Square Enix Action
RPG
December 31,2008 Final Fantasy XIII [JA] Square Enix Action
RPG
December 31,2008 Resident Evil 5 [JA] Capcom Action

From the looks of it, over the next 10 weeks there is really very few games released and we could see the PS3 weekly sales numbers drop below 10,000 (or even 5,000) units per week. I'm leaving the Wii release list off (mainly to prevent scrolling) but the releases for the Wii are far steadier and interest in the Wii should remain high; I suspect the Wii will sell nearly as many systems as they can produce.

I would say the Wii will pass 3 Million before the PS3 passes 1 Million by a couple of weeks.

I just checked sales numbers for the original Ninja Gaiden in Japan. And although it did around 45k units in its first week, which must be very impressive for an XBox title, XBox sales where only around 700-800 units for that week. So I doubt Ninja Gaiden will be able to move a significant amount of PS3s. Seems like one less reason to see PS3 reaching 1M before Wii reaching 3M. Btw, Wii is still trailing PS2 if you allign both launches, but its weekly sales did fall down to around 60k by this time and in 5 weeks it will drop down to around 40k and below, so Wii could actually start to catch up with PS2 sales soon.

That can't be all the PS3 games in 2007... can it???

Is it just me or is the Golden Week over hyped? I am looking at the lifetime sales for PS2, and assuming the Golden Week falls roughly the same time every year then it doesn't seem to have that large of an impact. It's no Christmas.

http://www.subodesign.com

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Guitar Hero III, Ghost Squad, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Wii Play