By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - HDMI 2.0 Standard Just Announced!

BERLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

HDMI Forum, Inc., a non-profit, mutual benefit corporation, today announced the release of Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification. This latest HDMI Specification, the first to be developed by the HDMI Forum, offers a significant increase in bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) to support new features such as 4K@50/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution; 32 audio channels; as well as dynamic auto lip-sync and extensions to CEC. The complete Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification is available to Adopters on the HDMI Adopter Extranet. HDMI Licensing, LLC will host a press conference to discuss the new features of the HDMI 2.0 Specification at IFA 2013 in Berlin on Friday, September 6 at 12:00pm in the TecWatch Forum area of Hall 11.1.

Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification, which is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification, was developed by the HDMI Forum’s Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components. The HDMI Forum currently has a membership of 88 companies.

“The introduction of the HDMI 2.0 Specification represents a major milestone for the HDMI Forum,” said Robert Blanchard of Sony Corporation, president of the HDMI Forum. “Our members collaborated closely to take the highly successful HDMI Specification to the next level by expanding audio and video features for consumer electronics applications.”

The HDMI Forum has chosen HDMI Licensing, LLC to be the Agent to license Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification. In this role, HDMI Licensing, LLC will provide marketing, promotional, licensing and administrative services, as well as education on the benefits of the HDMI Specification to adopters, retailers, and consumers.

“We are pleased to continue our work in supporting the HDMI Adopter base as well as the entire HDMI ecosystem,” said Steve Venuti, president of HDMI Licensing, LLC. “Adopters can now continue to develop new product functionality over the HDMI interface as well as look to HDMI Licensing, LLC as their single contact for all their licensing and administrative needs.”

Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth.

The HDMI 2.0 Compliance Test Specification (CTS) is expected to be released before the end of 2013.

For more information about Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification please visit http://www.hdmi.org.

About HDMI Licensing, LLC

HDMI Licensing, LLC is the agent appointed by the HDMI Forum to license Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification and is the agent appointed by the HDMI Founders to license all earlier HDMI Specifications. The HDMI Specification combines uncompressed high-definition video, multi-channel audio, and data in a single digital interface to provide crystal-clear digital quality over a single cable. HDMI Licensing, LLC provides marketing, promotional, licensing and administrative services, as well as education on the benefits of the HDMI Specification to adopters, retailers, and consumers. HDMI Licensing, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Silicon Image, Inc. (SIMG). For more information about the HDMI Specification, please visit www.hdmi.org.

About HDMI Forum, Inc.

The HDMI Forum, Inc. is comprised of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components. An open trade association, The HDMI Forum’s mission is to foster broader industry participation in the development of future versions of the HDMI Specification and to further expand the ecosystem of interoperable, HDMI-enabled products. For more information, please visit www.hdmiforum.org.

HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing, LLC in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners in the United States and/or other countries.

http://globalfinance.zenfs.com/en_us/Finance/US_AFTP_BUSINESSWIRE_LIVE/CTidbwnewssty20130903006846r1sidyaho3distronx" width="1" height="1">

.yom-art-content .bwalignc {text-align: center} .yom-art-content .bwuline {text-decoration: underline}
HDMI Licensing, LLC
Gabriele Collier, 408-616-4088 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 408-616-4088 FREE  end_of_the_skype_highlighting
gcollier@hdmi.org

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hdmi-forum-releases-version-2-050000380.html

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Here is my 2.5 cents (Adjusted for inflation.)

The good: 4K60/50P 4 times better than 1080P/60p

significant increase in bandwidth (up to 18Gbps)

Backwards Compatible (I just hope they shield it better)

dynamic auto lip-sync (I hate it when the video and audio are a bit off.)

Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience

Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity

The Maybe:

Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen

Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (up to 4)

Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio

CEC extensions provides expanded command and control of consumer electronics devices through a single control point

The Bad: no 1080/120P or 240P for 120 frames per eye in 3D

No 4K/120P

No 4K/240P for 3d with 120 frames per eye in 3D

Note: And I think they added a 3D 1080P/120 so that each eye could get a 1080P/60 signal, but I'm not seeing it the standard.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

The adopter extranet full spec link requires a log in unfortunately.
Do you know if 48 fps will be supported? No news about 10 and 12 bit color too yet I see.

1536khz sample frequency sound, now that is overkill. 192khz is still understandable in a surround setting. It allows finer timing between speakers to create clearer harmonic effects. Also more data points will better represent the original sound curve and introduce less errors during mixing. Yet 1536khz, that's one smooth sound curve, and quite the data rate. 35.1 mbps uncompressed per channel for 1536/24 sound. Though with an 18gbps pipe, 32 1536/24 channels still leaves you with almost 17gbps for picture. I guess they thought why the hell not.

4K 12 bit RGB at 60p is 16.7 Gbps, looking good for 12 bit support, not for 120fps support.
Even at 8 bit RGB 4K120p would be 22.2 Gbps, too much, so no 3D 4K at 60 fps per eye.
(3D 1080p at 60 fps per eye should be in there. That was the reason for the 1.4b spec that morphed into 2.0)

I wonder what support for 21:9 will entail, 5040x2160 spec maybe? Won't fit in the pipe at over 8 bit at 60p.

Not everything I hoped about got announced, I wonder if the PS4 will have it.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:

From what it looks like here any current device with HDMI can. well as long as the CPU can handle the extra information but I'd say all current consoles should be able to with an update to the software. It looks to be using the same HDMI we already have

Around the Network
eFKac said:

No, neither new system will have it nor will they have h.265 streaming format.

Tell me a funny joke!

ListerOfSmeg said:
eFKac said:

From what it looks like here any current device with HDMI can. well as long as the CPU can handle the extra information but I'd say all current consoles should be able to with an update to the software. It looks to be using the same HDMI we already have

You sure? as alot of current devices cant even do 1.4 as you need a new controller behind the port. 

SvennoJ said:

Do you know if 48 fps will be supported? No news about 10 and 12 bit color too yet I see.

1536khz sample frequency sound, now that is overkill. 192khz is still understandable in a surround setting. It allows finer timing between speakers to create clearer harmonic effects. Also more data points will better represent the original sound curve and introduce less errors during mixing. Yet 1536khz, that's one smooth sound curve, and quite the data rate. 35.1 mbps uncompressed per channel for 1536/24 sound. Though with an 18gbps pipe, 32 1536/24 channels still leaves you with almost 17gbps for picture. I guess they thought why the hell not.

4K 12 bit RGB at 60p is 16.7 Gbps, looking good for 12 bit support, not for 120fps support.
Even at 8 bit RGB 4K120p would be 22.2 Gbps, too much, so no 3D 4K at 60 fps per eye.
(3D 1080p at 60 fps per eye should be in there. That was the reason for the 1.4b spec that morphed into 2.0)

I wonder what support for 21:9 will entail, 5040x2160 spec maybe? Won't fit in the pipe at over 8 bit at 60p.

oh, 48FPS so we can watch The Hobbit!

Hmm, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to downscale, but I don't know of any TV that could match that.  The closes would be 50p which is more common in Europe.  Do you think a 60P TV could adjsut to 48P? (or 96p for 3D)  I just don't know enough about the current interals and limits.

"1536khz sample frequency sound, now that is overkill."  Well, you know, they want to keep the dogs, dolphins and bats entertainerd. lol.  Plus, if you smile next to the speaker it could give you an ultrasonic cleaning. :D

It was supposed to do Deep Colour 30/36/48-bit up to 4K60, but I don't see that confirmed.  Also support for xvYCC, but not sure about that either.

Seems like they kind of overkilled in some areas, and missed the mark in others.  It will probably be a while before I get a new device and by then it will probably HDMI 2.2 or something.

So are you happy? Sad? mixed? 

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
SvennoJ said:

oh, 48FPS so we can watch The Hobbit!

Hmm, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to downscale, but I don't know of any TV that could match that.  The closes would be 50p which is more common in Europe.  Do you think a 60P TV could adjsut to 48P? (or 96p for 3D)  I just don't know enough about the current interals and limits.

"1536khz sample frequency sound, now that is overkill."  Well, you know, they want to keep the dogs, dolphins and bats entertainerd. lol.  Plus, if you smile next to the speaker it could give you an ultrasonic cleaning. :D

It was supposed to do Deep Colour 30/36/48-bit up to 4K60, but I don't see that confirmed.  Also support for xvYCC, but not sure about that either.

Seems like they kind of overkilled in some areas, and missed the mark in others.  It will probably be a while before I get a new device and by then it will probably HDMI 2.2 or something.

So are you happy? Sad? mixed? 

A 240hz tv should have no problem with 48fps, that's simply repeating every frame 5 times. Although most tv's can do 24hz with a normal maximum of 60hz, adjusting the timing logic to 48hz shouldn't be a problem I think.

It's a shame 1080p120 or even 1080p240 isn't supported. It would help with games, instead of dropping from 60 fps to 30 fps with vsync enabled, games could also do 40 fps with a 120hz mode or 48 fps with 240hz mode. It would be even better if there was a mode to unlock frame rate completely. Send the frame when it's ready, and the monitor updates the screen as soon as the frame has been received, end of screen-tearing once and for all. The days of fixed refresh rates from CRT are long gone.

Dogs and Dolphins needn't worry, most speakers only go up to 42khz at most. The higher sample rate is beneficial to the timing between speakers, gives a more accurate representation of the sound waves, and introduces fewer artifacts with further signal processing and during DA conversion. There won't be any ultra sonic sound coming out of your speakers.

48 bit (16 bit per color) is also too much bandwidth for 4K60,  36 (12 bit per color) for 4K would be very nice anyway.
Mixed feelings indeed, everything still locked to max 60hz means screen tearing in games is here to stay. Anyway at least 4K60 is coming.

So wait, you're telling me that people will still need to use dual link DVI for 1080p@ true 120hz refresh rate? HDMI 2.0 doesn't support it? What am I saying...its got to support it.