By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - [UPDATE] Xbox One Could Possibly Feature a Powerful Discrete GPU + APU rumor - New Sources and Info!

This thread really got out of hand. I maintain my belief that this is highly unlikely.

There are clearly those in this thread that want it to happen. There are also many who've obviously made a console purchase decision and don't wish to see it undermined in any way by the X1 suddenly getting a power boost.

To them I repost this quote, which I believe effectively sums up the situation:

"People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…"

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
This thread really got out of hand. I maintain my belief that this is highly unlikely.

There are clearly those in this thread that want it to happen. There are also many who've obviously made a console purchase decision and don't wish to see it undermined in any way by the X1 suddenly getting a power boost.

"People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…"

Lol that quote is from a Microsoft PR spokesmen. Sums up the situation hahahahah

riderz13371 said:
starcraft said:

Lol that quote is from a Microsoft PR spokesmen. Sums up the situation hahahahah

I know, as does everyone else...it has been attributed to him all over the page?

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph, then relate it to your experiences over the previous two generations.  This is about as even-handed a comment as you're ever going to get from Sony and Microsoft.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
riderz13371 said:
starcraft said:

I know, as does everyone else...it has been attributed to him all over the page?

Pay particular attention to the last paragraph, then relate it to your experiences over the previous two generations.  This is about as even-handed a comment as you're ever going to get from Sony and Microsoft.

I remember back when Sony was hyping ps2 saying it would render  "Toy Story 2 quality graphics"..... Still waiting  

First of xbox live is better and preferred, even when psn was free.second most people already pay for live so who gives a crap if u need it for netflix are u telling me u got a console to just for Netflix? second ms has big studios as well working on games like I dont know maybe respawn with titanfall, 343 and halo,  remedy with quantum break, lionhead and with fable legends, and even more games that have not been announced yet from blacktask, Microsoft Victoria, and some other one I forgot , point is as it stands now only advantage ps4 has is a slightly more powerful hardware and a cheaper price, that can still change when the cloud or this rumor turns out to be true

Around the Network

Our competitors log onto the internet (referring to Dreamcast) - PS2 will have it's OWN INTERNET!

That's our Sony!

If anything, Pennello downplayed his statement. Classy.

Actions speak louder than words. Sony love to over promise, MS like to manage expectations - generally speaking.

Personally I prefer the MS approach. Be upfront about what you're bringing, then over the course of a generation - refine and improve the user experience from OS level upwards. A bit like Zappy's dodgy cousin, Sony promise you cross game chat, Gaikai and a six-pack of the finest ales and show up with an apology for no chat, a vague promise of Gaikai sometime down the track then hand you a warm bottle of generic brand beer with a triumphant cheer of "I brought them brewskis though! Last one - all yours cause I love you man!"

Gee thanks.

riderz13371 said:

Dude, seriously? That's just uncalled for putting that guys face up on VGC.

You can hate was someone says, but come on, stay classy.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

that would explain why the launch games of x1 look better than ps4's...

fighter said:

They do? Funny that most people on this site and other will disagree with you.

fighter said:

Except they don't...