By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Namco Arcade System 478 coming.

If this is true, (I'm sure it is, because of PS4 coming) It's good for lots of new games.  Including Tekken.

For those that don't know, the Namco arcade systems, starting with 246, where designed with Playstation technology.  The first number indicated which PS it was.  For example, 246, was for PS2.  Meanwhile, 357 and 369 were developed with PS3 hardware.  Specifically, 369 was developed based on the slim PS3 to reduce heat.  357 is also the arcade system for Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion, and 369 was used for Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Unlimited.

Judging from the naming aspect, I think it's safe to assume that 478 is being developed with PS4 in mind.  Anything different and I'm sure they would have named it differently  Boards before 246 weren't developed with PS1 hardware and used single and double digits.

This is good news, because it means that TxSF, (which Harada stated probably wouldn't be on current gen) will be on this board and Tekken 7 will surely be on this board or at least a variant.

Obviously, as seen with Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2, it doesn't mean Tekken will be exclusive to PS4, only that the arcade versions will use PS4 hardware, making the PS4 versions identical to the arcade.  I just hope it doesn't take an additional year to port it to xbox.  That's why we waited 2 years for Tekken on home consoles.  Namco wasn't willing to give it to PS3 users a year earlier.  But, it isn't likely for a two year wait, considering the two consoles have a lot more  in common than 360 and PS3.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2013/8/27/rumor-new-namco-arcade-system-478-to-be-made-title-featured.html

Around the Network

System 146 is also a PS2-derived board, and comes before 246 in the numbering scheme (used in Pac-Man Battle Royale, for one), but post-dates the ones you mentioned.

You also left out the PS1-derived NAMCO arcade boards: System 11 and 12.

/anal completist

ECM said:
System 146 is also a PS2-derived board, and comes before 246 in the numbering scheme (used in Pac-Man Battle Royale, for one), but post-dates the ones you mentioned.

/anal completist

Oh well, I was just making sure to not get banned for stating fact about namco arcade boards again.  What I have should be good enough.

I wonder how it would look like Tekken 7 , imagine if it looks like those two fist on the beginning of Tekken 6 :O

ECM said:

/anal completist

I was going to post exactly this. It's the reason why almost all Namco games were Sony exclusives in the 5th gen.