By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA still has faith in Dead Space

Tagged games:

Vetteman94 said:
kupomogli said:
Slimebeast said:
I hope they still have Dante's Purgatory for Visceral in rotation too.

Dante's Inferno was better than the game it ripped off.  Too bad it didn't sell well.

What game did it rip off that it was better than?   I enjoyed it but not better than some of the other hack n slash games that were available.

Devil May Cry was the first, and God of War is pretty much a DMC clone, but Dante's Inferno copied God of War and not DMC.  Take everything that God of War added in and how Kratos did it, then swap it with Dante from Dante's Inferno as it was the exact same thing.  Broken walls that you could climb up turned into bodies on the wall that you could climb up.  In Athens where Kratos traverssed the rope with his hands, Dante did the same in Gluttony(?,) the dodge roll using the right analog, the QTE kills when enemies got close to death, doors opened the same where you repeatedly hit o, and the treasure boxes were replaced with fountainss of life, magic, or souls which you again repeatedly hit o to acquire them.  If you held trianglee, Kratos would whip them up with his blades and if you kept holding he would follow the enemy up where in Dante's Inferno he would slam the spear downward to knock the enemies upward the exact same way, kept holding the button he would automatically follow them up for a follow up combo, exactly like God of War.  There's other s tuff too, but you get the idea.  You could literally replace Kratos with Dante and no one wouldn't believe that it wasn't God of War.   

Dante's Inferno had a better storyline and better gameplay though.  Where the gameplay in God of War was blande and boring in comparison.  I mean come on.  Square x 1-4 and then Triangle was nothing more than the exact same attack that's slightly more powerful across three different games and Kratos didn't have much else beyond L1 + X, L1 + Square, some other stuff, etc.  Even if you were using the Death's Scythe, Dante's Inferno's combat system was just more diverse, as it copied a bit of how God of War worked everything then they added a lot mroe to it.  Then when you add the cross into the mix, while I'll agree is a bit overpowered in comparison to the Scythe, you had far more verssatility in combat than all the God of War titles combined, even if you add the meager offerings the extra weapons in God of War brought to the table.

Visceral ripped off the God of War series and made a much better game.  God of War is an incredibly overrated Playstation franchise.  I might be a Playstation fanboy but I call it as I see it.  I'm not going to praise every game a company releases just because I prefer that company's games.   If you look at my trophy list you'll see I played and completed the first three God of War titles, even platinumed the first one, so it's not that I didn't play enough of them, they're just not the games Playstation fans make them out to be.

Around the Network

The problem of course is that what EA wants from the franchise is not what fans want from the franchise. Dead Space 3 lacked that tension Dead Space 1 and 2 had.

Good for them. I don't.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

kupomogli said:

Devil May Cry was the first, and God of War is pretty much a DMC clone, but Dante's Inferno copied God of War and not DMC.  Take everything that God of War added in and how Kratos did it, then swap it with Dante from Dante's Inferno as it was the exact same thing.  Broken walls that you could climb up turned into bodies on the wall that you could climb up.  In Athens where Kratos traverssed the rope with his hands, Dante did the same in Gluttony(?,) the dodge roll using the right analog, the QTE kills when enemies got close to death, doors opened the same where you repeatedly hit o, and the treasure boxes were replaced with fountainss of life, magic, or souls which you again repeatedly hit o to acquire them.  If you held trianglee, Kratos would whip them up with his blades and if you kept holding he would follow the enemy up where in Dante's Inferno he would slam the spear downward to knock the enemies upward the exact same way, kept holding the button he would automatically follow them up for a follow up combo, exactly like God of War.  There's other s tuff too, but you get the idea.  You could literally replace Kratos with Dante and no one wouldn't believe that it wasn't God of War.   

Dante's Inferno had a better storyline and better gameplay though.  Where the gameplay in God of War was blande and boring in comparison.  I mean come on.  Square x 1-4 and then Triangle was nothing more than the exact same attack that's slightly more powerful across three different games and Kratos didn't have much else beyond L1 + X, L1 + Square, some other stuff, etc.  Even if you were using the Death's Scythe, Dante's Inferno's combat system was just more diverse, as it copied a bit of how God of War worked everything then they added a lot mroe to it.  Then when you add the cross into the mix, while I'll agree is a bit overpowered in comparison to the Scythe, you had far more verssatility in combat than all the God of War titles combined, even if you add the meager offerings the extra weapons in God of War brought to the table.

Visceral ripped off the God of War series and made a much better game.  God of War is an incredibly overrated Playstation franchise.  I might be a Playstation fanboy but I call it as I see it.  I'm not going to praise every game a company releases just because I prefer that company's games.   If you look at my trophy list you'll see I played and completed the first three God of War titles, even platinumed the first one, so it's not that I didn't play enough of them, they're just not the games Playstation fans make them out to be.

I figured you meant God of War because it is a shameless rip off of the game, but God of War still far exceeds what Dantes Inferno is.  I loved the game but it wasn't even close to God of War in terms of being a great game.  Its not the games fault that you couldnt find more diverse attacks to use in God of War.  And to say that the additional weapons offered very little in combat shows you really dont know what you are talking about, considering they all had a complete move list that was as large as his original weapons.  Then you add the various magic powers the you got from Gods and its becomes a far more diverse weapon and moves list than what Dante's Inferno had.  Which as you said, had one weapon and a cross. 

And also while he isnt a great character, Kratos is still a better character than Dante was. And to say they are interchangable is pretty ignorant.   And the story of the God of War games were far better as well.  When you say that they are just not the games Playstation fans make them out to be, it sounds like you are bitter towards Playstation fans and what they like or just Playstation in general. And your claims that playing it give validity to your comments is quite BS.  Chanecs are you were never intereted in the games and played them just to say you played them so you could trash them.  Games like God of War arent as critically acclaimed as they are and be completely replaceable by a game thats a shameless rip off of it.  

One of my favourite new franchises this gen. Keep working on it please and try not to fuck it up like you did with command and conquer.

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:

And also while he isnt a great character, Kratos is still a better character than Dante was. And to say they are interchangable is pretty ignorant.   And the story of the God of War games were far better as well.  When you say that they are just not the games Playstation fans make them out to be, it sounds like you are bitter towards Playstation fans and what they like or just Playstation in general. And your claims that playing it give validity to your comments is quite BS.  Chanecs are you were never intereted in the games and played them just to say you played them so you could trash them.  Games like God of War arent as critically acclaimed as they are and be completely replaceable by a game thats a shameless rip off of it.  

Kratos is a better character sure, doesn't mean the storyline is any good.  There are plenty of games that have garbage storylines in games with likeable characters.  Example:  Hyperdimension Neptunia is a garbage game, storyline and gameplay, but IF, the character in my PSN avatar, is an awesome character.

To say they are interchangeable is me basing it exclusively on the gameplay.  The fact that the game was such a blattant God of War ripoff that the only major differences were the characters and story. 

I must be truly bitter towards Playstation fans when my favorite consoles are all Playstation.  It's obvious me being a Sony fanboy is a charade and I clearly only played God of War because I'm a Nintendo or Microsoft fanboy that wants to shit on a Sony exclusive franchise. 

Yeah they are, when they're only critically acclaimed because they were overrated as an exclusive.  Same with games like Mass Effect.  Mass Effect has some good qualities, like the dialogue and story, buthe gameplay is absolute shit, retarded AI, etc.  This game received massive praise for no reason other than it being exclusive, and while better games, the second and  third were still crappy  third person shooters with RPG elements and good dialogue and story, because Sony fans got what was once an Xbox exclusive, they also overrated these garbage titles.  Microsoft fans, Playstation fans, Nintendo fans.  Doesn't matter who they are, most of them follow the hype.  That's why such shitty games are held with high regard and such great games get overlooked and then later on are praised by fans who finally play them and realized they skipped out on such a greatgames(I could name plenty.)  Then these same fans bitch about not getting a sequel because they never supported the original game in the first place.

Back to God of War, it's not like I don't enjoy these styles of games either.  Prior to the release of God of War, I already finished Devil May Cry 1-3 and Castlevania Lament of Innocence on the PS2. God of War is just an overhyped game with pretty graphics.

kupomogli said:
Vetteman94 said:

Kratos is a better character sure, doesn't mean the storyline is any good.  There are plenty of games that have garbage storylines in games with likeable characters.  Example:  Hyperdimension Neptunia is a garbage game, storyline and gameplay, but IF, the character in my PSN avatar, is an awesome character.

To say they are interchangeable is me basing it exclusively on the gameplay.  The fact that the game was such a blattant God of War ripoff that the only major differences were the characters and story. 

I must be truly bitter towards Playstation fans when my favorite consoles are all Playstation.  It's obvious me being a Sony fanboy is a charade and I clearly only played God of War because I'm a Nintendo or Microsoft fanboy that wants to shit on a Sony exclusive franchise. 

Yeah they are, when they're only critically acclaimed because they were overrated as an exclusive.  Same with games like Mass Effect.  Mass Effect has some good qualities, like the dialogue and story, buthe gameplay is absolute shit, retarded AI, etc.  This game received massive praise for no reason other than it being exclusive, and while better games, the second and  third were still crappy  third person shooters with RPG elements and good dialogue and story, because Sony fans got what was once an Xbox exclusive, they also overrated these garbage titles.  Microsoft fans, Playstation fans, Nintendo fans.  Doesn't matter who they are, most of them follow the hype like they're sheep.  

Back to God of War, it's not like I don't enjoy these styles of games either.  Prior to the release of God of War, I already finished Devil May Cry 1-3 and Castlevania Lament of Innocence on the PS2. God of War is just an overhyped game with pretty graphics.

Kratos being a better character has nothing to do with it being a great story. All the characters in the game,  the game settings, and the actual story have to do with it being a great story, which it is.  Doesnt matter what other games fail to do when this game didnt.  

At a very basic level, yeah maybe. 

Thats basically what I was getting at yeah.   

Thats complete bullshit.  Games may be hyped before release for being exclusive, but once the ratings start coming out that doesnt matter.  Games reviewers could give less than shit about whether the title is exclusive or not.  Do you think reviewers cared that Gears of War was exclsusive when they were rating them as one of the best TPS in recent history?   Or Uncharted's exclusivity is what made it one of the greatest Action Adventure experiences on consoles today.  Or that Halo's exclusivity is the reason it is still the defacto standard for FPS games?  

And while they are both hack n slash games, I have a tough time putting Devil May Cry in the same category as God of War.  They are both great in their own right,  but other than the basic hack n slash premise, they couldnt be more different.  Bayonetta is more like Devil May Cry.

Vetteman94 said:

Thats complete bullshit.  Games may be hyped before release for being exclusive, but once the ratings start coming out that doesnt matter.  Games reviewers could give less than shit about whether the title is exclusive or not.  Do you think reviewers cared that Gears of War was exclsusive when they were rating them as one of the best TPS in recent history?   Or Uncharted's exclusivity is what made it one of the greatest Action Adventure experiences on consoles today.  Or that Halo's exclusivity is the reason it is still the defacto standard for FPS games?  

And while they are both hack n slash games, I have a tough time putting Devil May Cry in the same category as God of War.  They are both great in their own right,  but other than the basic hack n slash premise, they couldnt be more different.  Bayonetta is more like Devil May Cry.

Journalists usually review games for their preferred platform.  You'll see the same journalist or journalists reviewing all the Xbox exclusives, Playstation exclusives, or Nintendo exclusives.  Most journalists are going to have some sort of bias.  Aside from that, you also have ad revenue which further increases the score for fear of getting the ads pulled.  Additionally you have reviewers giving high scores for no other reason other than to appease the fanbase and to because they're hyped about the game themselves.  Let's not forget that journalists now days don't score anything atleast playable below a 6/10.

Uncharted is and the rest of the franchise is a good.  When they overrated every decent exclusive that comes along, they're bound to get it right once in awhile.  Uncharted is a franchise deserving of its praise. 

As for DMC and God of War couldn't be more different.  You're right.  One series is good, one not so much.  They're both the same style game, because they play slightly different doesn't mean anything.  In both games you string both single and preset combo attacks together.  Devil May Cry 2 sucks, but let me just brush it aside and say it's good "because it's different."

kupomogli said:
Vetteman94 said:

Journalists usually review games for their preferred platform.  You'll see the same journalist or journalists reviewing all the Xbox exclusives, Playstation exclusives, or Nintendo exclusives.  Most journalists are going to have some sort of bias.  Aside from that, you also have ad revenue which further increases the score for fear of getting the ads pulled.  Additionally you have reviewers giving high scores for no other reason other than to appease the fanbase and to because they're hyped about the game themselves.  Let's not forget that journalists now days don't score anything atleast playable below a 6/10.

Uncharted is and the rest of the franchise is a good.  When they overrated every decent exclusive that comes along, they're bound to get it right once in awhile.  Uncharted is a franchise deserving of its praise. 

As for DMC and God of War couldn't be more different.  You're right.  One series is good, one not so much.  They're both the same style game, because they play slightly different doesn't mean anything.  In both games you string both single and preset combo attacks together.  Devil May Cry 2 sucks, but let me just brush it aside and say it's good "because it's different."

And again it just completely baseless to say those things as there is nothing to back those statements up with any proof.  

So basically they got it right for a game you like,  but for every other game they are so blatantly wrong and biased.  

And I agree one series is good and the other isnt.  DMC hasnt been relevenat for years, where as God of War are critically acclaimed games that are considered to be some of the best in their respective genre.  

Vetteman94 said:

And again it just completely baseless to say those things as there is nothing to back those statements up with any proof.  

So basically they got it right for a game you like,  but for every other game they are so blatantly wrong and biased.  

And I agree one series is good and the other isnt.  DMC hasnt been relevenat for years, where as God of War are critically acclaimed games that are considered to be some of the best in their respective genre.  

And Call of Duty is the best FPS series according to critics.  Both your opinion and mine are baseless because there's no proof to back any of it up other than the games themselves, and it seems to me that selling good and being overrated by journalists and consumers alike means that it's the better game.

Oh, and God of War Ascension's Metascore is 80 while DmC Devil May Cry is 85/86.  DmC Devil May Cry still bombed.  So much for being  the better game according to critics right?

It's not an exclusive but Mirror's Edge got has a 79 on Metacrtic.  70-79 is your average score for a decent game.  The game didn't sell well, didn't receive any massive hype prior to release, but it's a great game and you constantly see it on underrated gem lists as one of the best games this generation.  With how much fan hype it's been getting because of the first game, as long as the game is decent, I'd bet that we'll see 85 or better on Metacritic after its release.  I don't think it's an 85, but my scoring also doesn't coincide with the "never rate anything marginably playable below a 6 either."