By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hot Chips: Xbone Silicon (5b transistors, 363mm2, 8GB Flash, 1.31TFlops, 204GB/s peak BW)

oni-link said:

so how much more powerful will this be compared to  my X360S?  Is it going to be like a Xbox to X360 level leap; or like a DC to Xbox jump?  Also how does this compare with the Wii U? 

Ok, pulling this out of some of the referance numbers here, so subject to change, but roughly the stand alone Xbox One is ten+ times more powerful than the Xbox 360 with 16 times as much RAM.

Now if you add the cloud,  in these numbers, doubles. 

So, it looks like about 4 times more powerful than a WiiU.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
walsufnir said:

WTF is that shit?! Seriously! Where does it come from?!

Some of it's kind of been rumored for a while.  But you seemed so happy when you preordered your PS4 I didn't want to be a downer on it.

Appropriate use of musical reference:

Funny Girl - Don't rain on my parade by guy-paul

Oh no problem, Zappy! :D I am happy about technical stuff *always*! :D

Updated with high quality slides from here: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20130827_612762.html

The new slides not posted yet.

ethomaz said:

Updated with high quality slides from here: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20130827_612762.html

The new slides not posted yet.

All this stuff, I have to say it for the thousandst time: Real world performance is more than just specs! Freeing GPU and CPU from critical computing and offloading it to specialized processors make it really hard to judge the gaming-performance and might lead to a closer gap than what we would expect between 1.83 TF and 1.31 TF.

Zappykins said:
oni-link said:

so how much more powerful will this be compared to  my X360S?  Is it going to be like a Xbox to X360 level leap; or like a DC to Xbox jump?  Also how does this compare with the Wii U? 

Ok, pulling this out of some of the referance numbers here, so subject to change, but roughly the stand alone Xbox One is ten+ times more powerful than the Xbox 360 with 16 times as much RAM.

Wow 10x more powerful than my X360S that is CRAZY!!! Are you sure it's that much more powerful?  Well I guess to make up for the law of diminishing returns they would have to be at least that much to make a diffrence.  The console version Bulletstorm and Castlevania on X360 already look great I can't wait to see what the system can do as none of the launch games for PS4 and even XB1 shows anything more than a slight boost in terms of visuals.

Around the Network
oni-link said:
Zappykins said:
oni-link said:

Wow 10x more powerful than my X360S that is CRAZY!!! Are you sure it's that much more powerful?  Well I guess to make up for the law of diminishing returns they would have to be at least that much to make a diffrence.  The console version Bulletstorm and Castlevania on X360 already look great I can't wait to see what the system can do as none of the launch games for PS4 and even XB1 shows anything more than a slight boost in terms of visuals.

Yea, well some of the numbers I crunched put it closer to twenty.  (Which goes along with what some MS Guy said at E3, but can't think of his name right now.)

It's going to be a fun launch isn't it! Also, early numbers had it about 8 times more powerful.  The CPU seems to be running at around the best of the rumors + a whole bunch of co-processors (15!) and I do not know if that includes the 2 extra in Kinect or not. Hopefully, and I think they will, have all this covered by DirectX and the programers will not care which is doing what.

Yea, that diminishing returns thing.  Basically, you need to double the power to make it look significantly better, then double that again to make it look better again.  So a bunch of power gets eaten up quite quickly.  Wasn't the PS3 something like @30 times more powerful than the PS2? Which would make it about 5+ times better - some of that was eaten up by the format going from SD interfaced to HD and progressive scan.  But just about anyone can see the games look nicer.

But remember it's not all about hardware power.  They are all running different operating systems and different API, etc.  It's like a car needs a good engine, but if it has a lousy transmission, it can't use it's power.  So it makes it harder to compare PS4/Xbox One.

But for the Xbox 360, yes, I think you will be very please with the power upgrade. (Also, have you tried the new controller yet?)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

walsufnir said:

All this stuff, I have to say it for the thousandst time: Real world performance is more than just specs! Freeing GPU and CPU from critical computing and offloading it to specialized processors make it really hard to judge the gaming-performance and might lead to a closer gap than what we would expect between 1.83 TF and 1.31 TF.

You think that PS4 won't have specialized processors? ))

PS3 have those, PS4 will have too.

Putin said:

It's been confirmed that the PS4 does as it uses custom silicon to handle downloading/uploading and social features and another chip for Audio tasks, which free's up compute time on the CPU and GPU.

oni-link said:

If you look at specs, I can see how easy it would be to come to that conclusion.

However, do keep in mind that the hardware is also more efficient, so it can essentially do more per "gigaflop" than the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 can.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Putin said:
walsufnir said:

No I don't but this doesn't mean we know what they are doing. Thus read my text again.

ethomaz said:
endimion said:
I wouldn't be proud to be quoted on the GAF... it's like a troll Vs orc fest over there... with a bunch of pseudo insider that must be nothing more than the janitor or the guy that must debug code like a chinese shoe maker....

Proud? I just posted that because the guy saw SATA 2 before me lol and it is true.

And what's the problem with SATA 2? Neither the HDD nor the BD drive are fast enough to max that connection.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.