By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hot Chips: Xbone Silicon (5b transistors, 363mm2, 8GB Flash, 1.31TFlops, 204GB/s peak BW)

Imaginedvl said:
ethomaz said:
Nsanity said:
Give credit where it's due: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=662197

That's because my post are linked there... the second picture I shared with GAF... see the "Credit from here" before post... anyway I posted the picture here first and you can look at the post timestamp.

And that is not the original thread lol.

PS. You see how you fail everytime?

wow you should really calm down now.
This thread is mainly copy pasting from other sites... not that it is bad but Nsanity was just stating it...

No. Nsanity has been on Ethomaz's case for quite some time now. Ethomaz's reply is very much deserved.

Around the Network

Imaginedvl said:

wow you should really calm down now.
This thread is mainly copy pasting from other sites... not that it is bad but Nsanity was just stating it...

Of course it is most things from twitter... now how can he list the GAF thread if the OP there have credit for my own user in GAF saying I'm copying from there lol.

The pics I shared here I shared in GAF too... I share here first (some minutes to share there)... the Kinect picture I shared first too... it is not bad because all pictures I used have the original source in here.

My thread here is even early than the original in GAF (not the only he shared because that one is the new one due the first get a DBZ comparision thread).

So he needs to stop to bullshit here.

Goatseye said:
To tech savvies:
In terms of multimedia how do you think the customized AMD chips will perform in terms of fluidity of the UI, the snap feature, online video/(game??) streaming capability and of course how will games perform compared to PS4?

I think all the multimedia tasks will be done by coprocessors and not the main APU... it is even possible to Xbone have a ARM CPU like PS4 have... the Kinect processor is separeted this time too.

The APU will almost be free for games only (I guess only two cores will be use for OS and multimedia).

ethomaz said:
Goatseye said:
To tech savvies:
In terms of multimedia how do you think the customized AMD chips will perform in terms of fluidity of the UI, the snap feature, online video/(game??) streaming capability and of course how will games perform compared to PS4?

I think all the multimedia tasks will be done by coprocessors and not the main APU... it is even possible to Xbone have a ARM CPU like PS4 have... the Kinect processor is separeted this time too.

The APU will almost be free for games only (I guess only two cores will be use for OS and multimedia).

And PS4?

Goatseye said:

And PS4?

Same... I guess two CPU cores reserverd to OS and the GPU only for games... a ARM processor for background tasks.

Xbox One and PS4 are relly similar in terms of architecture... the differences are the GDDR5, eSRAM + DataMoves and GPU RAM Power... I guess the audio processor in Xbone is a bit more powerful but PS4 have a audio processor too.

The Xbone seems to have more coprocessos to free up the CPU/GPU but I think that just will help to close the gap in power with PS4... not to give advantage to Xbone.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
To tech savvies:

In regards to the UI, the Xbox One should have the advantage, DDR3 Memory typically has roughly a 20% latency advantage over GDDR5 so it will help a little, whether that's perceptable by people is another matter entirely.

Plus, unlike Sony, Microsoft has been building fully fledged and functional Operating Systems for decades, so one would expect it will be fluid and fast with minimal resources, just use a Windows Phone with it's under-powered hardware and you will quickly see what I mean! The equivalent hardware usually chugs on Android or iOS.
Plus, through this entire current generation the Xbox 360 certainly had the advantage in the amount of resources the OS used compared to the PS3, especially in memory consumption and CPU time.

Things like Video Streaming and general media playback will be processed, not by the CPU, but by AMD's UVD hardware in the GPU in a best case scenario, which is more energy efficient and faster than on the CPU, otherwise the rest should be offloaded to the GPU's compute shaders with the rest of the processing on the CPU.

As far as how games will perform compared to the PS4, the Multi-platforms should be relatively similar, just like how Multiplatforms on consoles and PC are similar despite being 1,000x more powerfull, it's the exclusives and the big developers willing to put the extra effort in that will really shine.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Shinobi-san said:
Machiavellian said:
Shinobi-san said:
bananaking21 said:
can somebody explain what the fuck is going on around here?

Absolutely nothing.

All that should be happening here is that people should accept the leaked hardware as fact now. Given that this is the first time MS has confirmed the numbers.

There was also a completely inaccurate post about how Sony lied and MS really has 5tflops of performance in its console....or something like that.

The guy who made up the rumour has admitted he was wrong, but people on Vgc seem to still believe him....not sure why though o.O

Anyways move right along nothing new here. Although seem people want to believe that there is.

Also the specs are NOT better than what was rumoured. People still seem to be adding up the bandwidth willy nilly, when in reality no two parts of the Xbone system has 200+ GB/s bandiwidth between them. All spin. All day.

I also read somewhere in this thread that PS4 has 3.2tflops of performance overall...again more bullshit.

Its amazing how technology illiterate the VGC community is. Threads like these just prove it.

There is nothing spin about that part.  Memory is always calculated as a total of its read and write capabilities if it can be performed at the same time.  Since this was stated at the hot chips event, I am sure MS would have been called out on it.  So peak performance of the ESram is 200GB/s 

The 3.2TF was the combined GPU and CPU together.  The 1.8TF is just the GPU alone.  I have not attempted to do the calculations but most times its a system total calculations that is measured instead of just the GPU.  Anyway, who cares, all of this was an interesting fun read.

Apologies i was wrong. 204 is indeed the correct number. I was getting confused between that and the 270 number that was going around in other threads! Which basically someone went and added the bandwidth of the ESRAM and DDR3 ram. Which is incorrect.

As far as I know the PS4 CPU does not even have 1TF of compute performance? Was this not confirmed to be ~200GFlops?

The 3.2 I thought was off the chain type of stuff but it was funny non the less.  Thats why I stated i had not the opportunity to calculate the CPUs contribution to the total TFlops of the PS4 and I could not remember any solid numbers on that point.  I will let ethomaz run those numbers as I am arms pit to hell in work.

What cannot be proven today is that whole discrete hidden GPU thing of a bob which we would have to wait until September 29/ 21 for.  There should be some comedy gold on that one. 

Pemalite said:

In regards to the UI, the Xbox One should have the advantage, DDR3 Memory typically has roughly a 20% latency advantage over GDDR5 so it will help a little, whether that's perceptable by people is another matter entirely.

Plus, unlike Sony, Microsoft has been building fully fledged and functional Operating Systems for decades, so one would expect it will be fluid and fast with minimal resources, just use a Windows Phone with it's under-powered hardware and you will quickly see what I mean! The equivalent hardware usually chugs on Android or iOS.
Plus, through this entire current generation the Xbox 360 certainly had the advantage in the amount of resources the OS used compared to the PS3, especially in memory consumption and CPU time.

Things like Video Streaming and general media playback will be processed, not by the CPU, but by AMD's UVD hardware in the GPU in a best case scenario, which is more energy efficient and faster than on the CPU, otherwise the rest should be offloaded to the GPU's compute shaders with the rest of the processing on the CPU.

As far as how games will perform compared to the PS4, the Multi-platforms should be relatively similar, just like how Multiplatforms on consoles and PC are similar despite being 1,000x more powerfull, it's the exclusives and the big developers willing to put the extra effort in that will really shine.

Just to add... I don't know how it works in Xbone but the video record/streaming in PS4 is outside the GPU (no UVD)... there are a chip in the HDMI output that get the data and save or stream to the internet... I don't know if this work is done by the ARM processor or another coprocessers but it is outside the APU.

ethomaz said:

Goatseye said:

And PS4?

Same... I guess two CPU cores reserverd to OS and the GPU only for games... a ARM processor for background tasks.

Xbox One and PS4 are relly similar in terms of architecture... the differences are the GDDR5, eSRAM + DataMoves and GPU RAM Power... I guess the audio processor in Xbone is a bit more powerful but PS4 have a audio processor too.

The Xbone seems to have more coprocessos to free up the CPU/GPU but I think that just will help to close the gap in power with PS4... not to give advantage to Xbone.

It really is starting to appear that when developers have stated the difference or gap between the PS4 and X1 is not that big, is turning up to more true than a lot of people probably believed.  There is a hell of a lot of stuff going on in that big APU of MS.  I see why their driver team will be very important in getting as much out of that beast as possible.  Its one of the things MS was touting about just before Gamercon.

Machiavellian said:

The 3.2 I thought was off the chain type of stuff but it was funny non the less.  Thats why I stated i had not the opportunity to calculate the CPUs contribution to the total TFlops of the PS4 and I could not remember any solid numbers on that point.  I will let ethomaz run those numbers as I am arms pit to hell in work.

What cannot be proven today is that whole discrete hidden GPU thing of a bob which we would have to wait until September 29/ 21 for.  There should be some comedy gold on that one.

The 3.2TFLOPS is based in a dedicated GPU working in Crossfire on PS4... the guy says the dedicated GPU in Xbone is more powerful giving it combined in Crossfire 5TFLOPS... the PS4 have a weak dedicated GPU so the combined power is 3.2TFLOPS.

PS4 arch is already know and the Xbone motherboard have no place for a dedicated GPU... I don't know what world the guy lives but for sure it is false.

He tried to support his claims saying no GPU @ 1.2TFLOPS runs games like showed by MS at E3 but in fact the a 1.2 TFLOPS GPU have more than enough power to run Ryse, Forza 5, etc like it was showed at E3... multiplataforms will run better on PC than consoles.