By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Microsoft's Surprisingly Strong Xbox One Lineup Gives Them An Early Edge

riderz13371 said:
Seece said:
riderz13371 said:
Seece said:
riderz13371 said:
Shinobi-san said:
Is their a release date for Halo on Xbone?

Probably 2015. They just showed it to get people hyped for the game.

Xbox One's line up does look very impressive right now I admit.

Confirmed 2014?

Everything they showed at the press conference was 2013/2014.

Games get delayed but Halo isn't usually one of them, in fact I don't think it's ever been delayed in its history. They run a right ship.

None of the Halo games (not including the "spin offs") have released within a 2 year period of one another. Halo 4 just launched in 2012, I doubt we will see another one in November 2014 (making it a 2 year dev cycle). 

From Halo Wiki - "Spencer also clarified in an interview with IGN that while the next-gen game was not Halo 5, it was a "legitimate" entry in the game series rather than a spin-off"

Halo: Combat Evolved - November 15, 2001

Halo 2 - November 9, 2004

Halo 3 - September 25, 2007

Halo 4 - March 13, 2012

Maybe 343 have a much bigger studio than Bungie and can pull it off, but I doubt we will see that Halo game in 2014. It was used more of a way to reassure people that a Halo game is coming to the Xbox One.

Halo 5 information started to filter as early as end of 2012 early 2013.... the game has been in dev since before launch of Halo 4

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-orleans-cloud-programming-model-gets-a-halo-test-drive-7000009300/

other related info http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-opens-early-adopter-program-for-its-orleans-cloud-framework-7000018564/

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I've got to agree, Microsoft has put together an impressive launch line-up. Moneyhatting Titanfall was a damn good idea, whomever put that together deserves a raise. It's by far the most impressive piece in the puzzle. Forza should do well but, honestly, I think there is a big of racing sim fatigue at the moment. I think it will be less sought after than Titanfall, at least initially. Killer Instinct won't move systems but it sweetens the package. I hope they advertise it because it looks awesome in terms of the visual style.

I'm not feeling Dead Rising 3, though. Zombie fatigue, plus somehow people just don't seem as excited for it as with DR2. I don't think many people will decide one way or another based on this game.

When you start talking 2014, though, things begin to tighten up. InFamous: Second Son looks fantastic and we're still waiting on reveals for the other PS4 IP World Wide Studios is working on. I'm also not sure why everyone is assuming Microsoft's ad campaign will blow Sony away, either--wasn't everyone saying the same thing about the console announcements earlier this year?

I think it's going to be close. Close at launch, close in 2014, probably close in 2015.

Both DR3 and Forza 5 gameplay has been altered to provide a more inclusive gaming.  DR3 has eliminated the clock and Forza 5 has eliminated the requirement that you start at the bottom.  That is to say, all of the tracks are available for you to drive, and all of the cars are available for you to purchase.  Your ability to win races will be dependent upon selecting the right track for your car or purchasing the right car for the track.

It'tt be interesting to see how receptive this works out.

Adinnieken said:

Both DR3 and Forza 5 gameplay has been altered to provide a more inclusive gaming.  DR3 has eliminated the clock and Forza 5 has eliminated the requirement that you start at the bottom.  That is to say, all of the tracks are available for you to drive, and all of the cars are available for you to purchase.  Your ability to win races will be dependent upon selecting the right track for your car or purchasing the right car for the track.

It'tt be interesting to see how receptive this works out.

That's interesting about Forza.  I can't wait to see what the fanbase thinks of that concept.  I'm not really keen on it, myself, as I love unlocking stuff.  I would hope they still have it planned out so that progression is not too simple.

For a while, my feeling towards launch lineups was that MS was hitting it out of the park (not for my taste, really, but for the general public), and Sony was dropping the ball (mediocre Knack and mediocre driveclub). While I still feel like Sony has dropped the ball in many ways other than inFAMOUS SS (which looks amazing) and Killzone, MS's lineup isn't as strong as I initially thought.

Forza is still a big launch game, and Dead Rising 3 looks like it could end up pretty good; but, Ryse looks terrible, and it was just announced that Killer Instinct will be releasing with only 6 characters and w/o a story mode (did I also hear right that there will be no online mode?). One thing that does remain a big deal, though, is the XBO exclusive content in COD & BF4. Free Fifa in Europe is also fairly big, and Sony would be extremely stupid to not make a similar bundle (even a $450 bundle where they're not losing any money).

The recent news of inFAMOUS SS releasing nearly at the launch window is another big thing making games comparisons seem a bit more even.
If were talking outside the launch, Titanfall will be a massive game for XBO-no denying it.

Overall, I think as we get closer to launch, ppl will see more and more that neither launch lineup is that great. XBO probably does have the edge still, but not by very much.

pokoko said:
Adinnieken said:

It'll be interesting to see how receptive this works out.

That's interesting about Forza.  I can't wait to see what the fanbase thinks of that concept.  I'm not really keen on it, myself, as I love unlocking stuff.  I would hope they still have it planned out so that progression is not too simple.

I think what it does is make it more realistic.  I do believe there are some tracks that you can't access until you get certain cars, but it's no longer about progressive leveling but rather your ability to perform well in races and subsequently your winnings. 

Around the Network

Yep, Strong launch line up, great hardware, Titanfall.............Give us a release date MS.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

This article forgets to consider more advance multimedia and cable features, Microsoft's stronger ecosystem and potential of Windows 8 crossplatform development as an advantage for Microsoft...yet it still comes out bullish on Microsoft? wow.

Adinnieken said:
SvennoJ said:
As long as you keep repeating it often enough...
Nah still not convinced, the only title I'm really interested in is Project Spark.

I think the thing to understand is, this isn't the gaming press.  It's one thing for the gaming press to say it, which they are, but it's another thing for people outside of the gaming press, Forbes is a business journal after all, saying Microsoft has the stronger line-up of games.

And you don't bother reading the article, because if you had, you'd have read at the bottom that the author is still bullish on Sony but just a little less so now.

This is the same guy many people on this site were praising weeks ago when he was saying the sky was falling for Microsoft.

The most talked about game at Gamescon, the one with the most accolades, the only game with an 8 hour wait to play it for 10 minutes, was Titanfall, a game not coming to the PS4 or PS3 until much later, if at all. 

I did read the article and I don't agree with xb1 having the better line up, not for me anyway.
Titanfall doesn't appeal to me that much, but I'll give it a go in a Steam sale down the road if I'm interested then. Ryse and Killer instinct are not my kind of game at all, DR3 another sequel without the one unique thing about the series, Forza 5 looks great but is stuck in the past at the same time, offering less then the previous versions. Where are the games like Kameo, Viva pinata, TDU, a good RPG.

Sony's line up isn't all that great either apart from the indie games, but at least Driveclub is new and Knack looks like fun.