By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Power means a lot for sales!

OK here goes

The GC had a PowerPC based CPU with a faster clock and faster system memory than the PS2. The XBOX had the fastest clock but was based of the Intel pentium 3 line.

Gamecube
486 MHz IBM PowerPC 750CXe based core

XBOX

733 MHz Intel Custom Pentium III

PS2

297.4 MHz MIPS based processor

The speeds do not tell the whole story as a 450 MHz G4 could do a lot things faster than a 1 GHz Pentium 3 but the Pentium 3 could handle stuff like Compression Decompression better than the G4 because of raw speed. than there si whole RISC versus CISC stuff

Arguably the PS2 had the weakest CPU but it also the hardest to comment on since it is a custom(as the are the other consoles) CPU but it is a RISC based processor like the GCs but it is probably closest to the R12000 and because of teh reduced pipeline restriction is capable of higher output than pentiums at twice there speed.

Going by MHz is really old stuff the architectures matter morewhen they are vastly different.

Around the Network
wiiforever said:
"Gamecube(strong) vs PS2(weakest) vs Xbox(strongest) Winner: PS2" why is PS2 the weakest? GC was the weakest!

No gamecube had a better gpu and about equivelent cpu to the ps2. The gamecube was also more effecient and could have been better than the xbox if it wasn't limited by its memory and disk space. The gamecube games that stand out the most to the ps2 is games like metroid prime 1 and 2, starfox adventure and assault, and resident evil 4 and zero.

fazz said:
wiiforever said:
"Gamecube(strong) vs PS2(weakest) vs Xbox(strongest) Winner: PS2" why is PS2 the weakest? GC was the weakest!

Let's see how's people knowledge about hardware...

Why was the GC the weakest?

Oops, wrong button heh, sorry.

A lot of people are forgetting Zelda Twilight Princess, it's a really pretty game, and very large. One of the best examples of Gamecubes power that came way too late in it's life.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

The SNES won because it had all of the Japanese support... Although it was a fairly even graphical race, and the SNES actually did lose 1 region.. Europe.. That is what is making the Wii so amazing it is winning where even the SNES did not.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

That's a good point you have there, but as I've said in past debates on console sales, to make a successful system you have to be able to sell it, but to dominate you have to sell to everyone in all regions, and with every region so far and then you add China in there when it launches there, and well you got another wave of sellouts ahead.

I know my argument can use a little tweaking as well, but this was thought up in a few minutes so cut me some slack it hasn't been my best day, but the point is clear, power doesn't sell, its most of the other factors that do, image, fun, price, mostly how the public sees the console, cause the public is the consumer and if it's being praised world wide its going to sell.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Well the Genesis was faster than the SNES. That's why sports games were so terrible on the SNES. I had both systems, but I always bought Genesis sports instead of the SNES versions. They were hands down better on the Genesis. Most other games I got the SNES versions.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"