By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - A thread for Europeans who pre-ordered X1 and only for them

fighter said:
assasist said:

You guys do realise that you can only play xbox ones in the country they're bought in ?

The xbox one games are not region locked. However, the xbox one console IS.
Meaning you can't play online in the country you live in if your console is from another country.

This also means that you can't download the Day one patch, which renders your console unplayable.

source ?

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work

Update: Microsoft director of marketing Albert Penello has explained that the Xbox One delay was due to implementing voice support for various languages into the dashboard.

When a NeoGAF user postulated that Microsoft was discouraging importing because it wanted to make sure there were enough copies left for those in supported territories, Penello responded, "launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. It's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch."

"Obviously, I support people waiting for the official supported launch in the affected markets for the best experience," he added.

He also noted that all games are "worldwide signed" i.e. region-free, unlike Xbox 360 titles, and "the console will work everywhere (keeping in mind power supplies)."

"You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family," he continued before slyly adding "Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards..."

Despite all these worldwide benefits, Penello noted that music and videos can be geo-restricted due to licensing issues. "e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)."

Original Story: Yesterday Microsoft made the disappointing announcement that the Xbox One would be delayed in eight countries. Given that the console is region-free and no longer requires an internet connection, this would suggest that it could be imported from neighboring countries. We've asked Microsoft about this and it explained that while the platform and all of its games are region-free, it will still require online payments in a supported type of currency.

"When the console launches this November, we will support Xbox One in 13 markets. Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One," said Microsoft in a statement.

"That said, there needs to be a valid payment method corresponding to a supported launch country in order for any transactions to occur over Xbox Live, and some content may not be accessible outside launch markets due to geographic content restrictions imposed by content right holders."

It's not a perfect workaround then, but it's better than nothing. Even without convenient access to the Xbox Live marketplace, players in countries affected by the delay will still be able to enjoy disc-based retail games to tide them over until their currency is supported.

source

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you're both wrong.  ..or both right.  depends on how you want to dice that.

Around the Network

I don't know if I should write here or not, but I'm from PAL region (Saudi Arabia). We won't be getting it on November , so I preordered it from Amazon US.
Reason: Xbox fan

kitler53 said:
fighter said:
assasist said:

You guys do realise that you can only play xbox ones in the country they're bought in ?

Meaning you can't play online in the country you live in if your console is from another country.

This also means that you can't download the Day one patch, which renders your console unplayable.

source ?

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work

Update: Microsoft director of marketing Albert Penello has explained that the Xbox One delay was due to implementing voice support for various languages into the dashboard.

When a NeoGAF user postulated that Microsoft was discouraging importing because it wanted to make sure there were enough copies left for those in supported territories, Penello responded, "launch volumes are not really an issue. This was simply a software issue in terms of getting local language and voice support in the dash. It's pretty straightforward, but disappointing I know for people who are missing launch."

"Obviously, I support people waiting for the official supported launch in the affected markets for the best experience," he added.

He also noted that all games are "worldwide signed" i.e. region-free, unlike Xbox 360 titles, and "the console will work everywhere (keeping in mind power supplies)."

"You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family," he continued before slyly adding "Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards..."

Despite all these worldwide benefits, Penello noted that music and videos can be geo-restricted due to licensing issues. "e.g. Netflix works only in supported countries)."

Original Story: Yesterday Microsoft made the disappointing announcement that the Xbox One would be delayed in eight countries. Given that the console is region-free and no longer requires an internet connection, this would suggest that it could be imported from neighboring countries. We've asked Microsoft about this and it explained that while the platform and all of its games are region-free, it will still require online payments in a supported type of currency.

"When the console launches this November, we will support Xbox One in 13 markets. Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One," said Microsoft in a statement.

"That said, there needs to be a valid payment method corresponding to a supported launch country in order for any transactions to occur over Xbox Live, and some content may not be accessible outside launch markets due to geographic content restrictions imposed by content right holders."

It's not a perfect workaround then, but it's better than nothing. Even without convenient access to the Xbox Live marketplace, players in countries affected by the delay will still be able to enjoy disc-based retail games to tide them over until their currency is supported.

source

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah and the payement option is tied to your XBL account not your console.... again I'll guarantee you that my US console will work in France with french services and content with my french XBL account and CC and my US account will be able to buy content on the US marketplace with my US XBL account and my US CC and if I want to access service I just have to power up my VPN service...

and I doubt there will be payment issues in countries using the euro.... pretty sure a Belgium CC can work in the German marketplace.... but I haven't tried.... I'm sure some European people have lived in different countries than the country they bought the XB360.... they probably can tell us how it turned out this gen since it will be exactly the same next gen than it is right now.... your account defines your country and you need a payment option compatible with the country....

endimion said:
kitler53 said:
fighter said:
assasist said:

source ?

source

yeah and the payement option is tied to your XBL account not your console.... again I'll guarantee you that my US console will work in France with french services and content with my french XBL account and CC and my US account will be able to buy content on the US marketplace with my US XBL account and my US CC and if I want to access service I just have to power up my VPN service...

awesome for you.. you apparently live in france which is a teir 1 country.  what about they guys the in holland and brussels (to which assasist was responding)?  are their live accounts being paid for with a CCs associated with a teir 1 country too or will they run into the issue MS clearly detailed out to those types of customers?  ..and if they can't access live how are they going to access that manditory day-1 patch?

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
endimion said:
kitler53 said:
fighter said:
assasist said:

source ?

source

awesome for you.. you apparently live in france which is a teir 1 country.  what about they guys the in holland and brussels (to which assasist was responding)?  are their live accounts being paid for with a CCs associated with a teir 1 country too or will they run into the issue MS clearly detailed out to those types of customers?  ..and if they can't access live how are they going to access that manditory day-1 patch?

I'm sourcing mine in the US $499 beats 499euros.... if what he said was true it wouldn't work no matter if my country is tier one or not.....
last time I checked you can access live from any country no matter if it is an MS supported region or not.... at least that was the case with 360 when I traveled for work in developing countries.... heck even in france with my US XBL gold account I can purchase on the US marketplace and use MP in games without being behind a VPN....

so what I was saying the only thing they might need is a german XBL gold account to access the german market place.... the only issue they might run into is whether or not they can use a belgium CC on a german account.... and since they use the same currency and work in any euro country with no fees I don't see why it wouldn't.... I have to ask a friend to get back to me on that.... but I don't see why it wouldn't... I would even be willing to say it would be unconstitutional under the european free market exchange...

but my guess is it will be a non issue.... people will just have to create a dummy account in a tier one country since XBL gold works for every account on the console if they don't want to keep long term a foreign XBL acct..... anyway we'll know in 6+ weeks for sure....

if by magic they fuck up on that... and that would be a major fuck up IMO bigger than the DRM fiasco to me.... like they said people travel a lot in europe....

they will always be able to resell the console for more probably at launch or return it free of charge....

but I'm pretty confident... I have been sourcing consoles abroad since I can talk (well my daddy ;P did when I was too young) never ran into issues beside video and power format....

kitler53 said:
endimion said:
kitler53 said:
fighter said:
assasist said:

source ?

source

What are you trying to say? The mandatory day-one patch is accessable worldwide, no internet probably means no Xbox One but that is not limited to the non-launch countries.

If live-accounts from non-launch countries won't be able access Xbox Live (there has been no statement on that as far as I know) they can simply change their region to one of the launch countries.

fighter said:

source ?

What he means is that you need a Xbox Live Account in a supported country to play online... just create an UK account and problem solve.

now that I think of it.... if they eff up I could make some cash selling patched XB1 at a premium to tier 2 european country... even throw in a XBL gold acct of the said country with some crédits on lol :D

so guys how much would you be willing to pay :)

:P MOUHAHAHAHA *evil laugh*

chris0409 said:
kitler53 said:
endimion said:
kitler53 said:
fighter said:
assasist said:

source ?

source

What are you trying to say? The mandatory day-one patch is accessable worldwide, no internet probably means no Xbox One but that is not limited to the non-launch countries.

If live-accounts from non-launch countries won't be able access Xbox Live (there has been no statement on that as far as I know) they can simply change their region to one of the launch countries.

unless the country you are in has a firewall blocking XBL like china does with the great firewall of china.... live from your country is accessible from anywhere given that you have an internet connection...

once again this is tied to your account not your console or your country you are located.... only services might be locked if you are outside of your XBL acct country  of origine ..... ie right now if I plug in my XB with my Endimyon acct it will pop up all the US content marketplace apps etc even US advertising I can play online MP... I can buy stuff.... but if I want to use netflix I have to be behind my VPN pointing at a US IP

I don't see why that would change.... heck even ob WP8 phones it works like that I purshase all my apps on the US market place.....