By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Moneyhatting so bad?

PDF said:
naruball said:
PDF said:
FACT: When MS money-hats its bad because they are an evil greedy company. When Sony money-hats its a strategic move that benefits the gaming industry.

Still curiuous as to why people on the internet misuse this poor word like that :/ And almost always with capslock. 

FACT: If somone uses the word fact in all caps lock to describe something that is clearly not a fact, its probably because they are being sarcastic.

Nah, unfortunatelly in most cases it's not. In your case it was obviously sarcastic, but in every single other time that I've pointed out to a user that they're misusing the word, they claimed that they were right. At this point, I know that what follows is most certainly not a fact (sarcasm or not). 

Unless, you're following your own logic here and you're being sarcastic again.

Around the Network
naruball said:
PDF said:
naruball said:
PDF said:
FACT: When MS money-hats its bad because they are an evil greedy company. When Sony money-hats its a strategic move that benefits the gaming industry.

Still curiuous as to why people on the internet misuse this poor word like that :/ And almost always with capslock. 

FACT: If somone uses the word fact in all caps lock to describe something that is clearly not a fact, its probably because they are being sarcastic.

Nah, unfortunatelly in most cases it's not. In your case it was obviously sarcastic, but in every single other time that I've pointed out to a user that they're misusing the word, they claimed that they were right. At this point, I know that what follows is most certainly not a fact (sarcasm or not). 

Unless, you're following your own logic here and you're being sarcastic again.

FACT: Honey badger doesn't care how he does it!

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

JayWood2010 said:

Depends on how you ask this question.

Example 1: TitanFall Topic - Do you like moneyhatting

MSFT fans say it isnt bad, I get to play it. Buy an xbox one.

Sony fans will say - Grrr, no it is stupid. We will play it in a year in or if it is for PS4 or on PC.

Example 2: Final Fantasy XIV Topic - Do you like money hatting

MSFT Fans. No it is stupid. We will play it on PC or when and if they bring it to X1.

Sony fans -  It is awesome buy the PS4 it is awesome

Moral of the story. People will support their preferred company even though they may or may not be hypocrite. MSFT Fans will stick up for the MSFT games and Sony fans will stick up for the sony games.  Both businesses do it though.  MSFT just has more money so they do it more which is why they are in this conversation more often

Wasn't FF14 a disagreement between SE and MS rather than money hatting? Pretty sure Sony didn't pay anything for that (I can't remember the details, read about it months ago).

In regards to the OP: I hate it. Especially now that we have both companies doing it. Instead on one version being slightly better, as happened in the past, now we keep getting exclusive content on both consoles, which means that unless someone wants to buy two copies, everyone misses out on something. I see no benefit in that.

To me the games that a company can develop personally are their identity. I appreciate that a company so invested in this business can donate their own artistic merit to the industry, whatever mark it may be.

Moneyhatting to me is a company forfeiting, as if they cannot produce their own ideas. It's regrettable to me.

Zekkyou said:
JayWood2010 said:

Depends on how you ask this question.

Example 1: TitanFall Topic - Do you like moneyhatting

MSFT fans say it isnt bad, I get to play it. Buy an xbox one.

Sony fans will say - Grrr, no it is stupid. We will play it in a year in or if it is for PS4 or on PC.

Example 2: Final Fantasy XIV Topic - Do you like money hatting

MSFT Fans. No it is stupid. We will play it on PC or when and if they bring it to X1.

Sony fans -  It is awesome buy the PS4 it is awesome

Moral of the story. People will support their preferred company even though they may or may not be hypocrite. MSFT Fans will stick up for the MSFT games and Sony fans will stick up for the sony games.  Both businesses do it though.  MSFT just has more money so they do it more which is why they are in this conversation more often

Wasn't FF14 a disagreement between SE and MS rather than money hatting? Pretty sure Sony didn't pay anything for that (I can't remember the details, read about it months ago).

In regards to the OP: I hate it. Especially now that we have both companies doing it. Instead on one version being slightly better, as happened in the past, now we keep getting exclusive content on both consoles, which means that unless someone wants to buy two copies, everyone misses out on something. I see no benefit in that.

Yeah somebody else mentioned that.  Just change the game to a different game or DLC and the story works out the same.

Around the Network
landguy1 said:

It seems that most people despise Moneyhatting.  If you despise Microsoft's obvious moneyhatting of AAA titles, why do so many people praise Sony for moneyhatting indie games?  For me, I have no problems with it either way.  I think that the $$$ that Microsoft and Sony are giving publishers is allowing for more games to get made one way or another.  So, is Moneyhatting really so bad?

Which do people consider worst.  If a company like Sony, MS or Nintendo buys up a good developer and make it exclusive to their console only working on probably one or 2 properties or just funding a game from a top developer.

My take as a gamer option 2 is better.  If you are only going to own one console then option 1 is definitely best.  If you are a gamer and just love to play games and willing to purchase multiple systems, then you want your options open.  I believe MS or Sony, giving developers cash for time period exclusives is great.  The devs get a cash influx to keep things going, the games are not locked so other gamers can experience them after the exclusive period and the developer is not hemmed in by these console makers to continue to produce the same game over and over.  Seems to me everyone wins in the end.

You have to admit there's something perverse about spending 100s of millions of dollars for games not to be made.

badgenome said:
Depends on what you mean by moneyhatting. If you mean, as in the case of Titanfall, throwing tens of millions of dollars at a third party publisher to stop development of the game for your competitors' consoles... then I think it's a crap practice because it doesn't add to your platform. It merely takes from others'. The moneyhatting of exclusive DLC is in some ways even more reprehensible because it's so utterly stupid and meaningless. No one really gives a shit if the PS3 version of Arkham Origins lets you play as '60s Batman.

But you seem to be confusing moneyhatting with the legitimate functions of a publisher. What Sony does for indies, or what Nintendo is doing for Bayonetta 2, or Microsoft for Sunset Overdrive isn't moneyhatting to me because without the first parties' involvement those games would either not exist at all, or might exist but only in a diminished form.

I know you state it as fact but is that what happen.  Do you know or have any proof that MS paid to have a PS4 version not made or did Respawn come to them and they made a agreement for exclusive rights both companies will do something for the other.  MS give Respawn dedicated servers, money for a year exclusive and Respawn put their game on all of their hardware.  Could this deal end up being like the one between MS and Epic.  A partnership that added greatly to both companies.  By all accounts, the deal between MS and Respawn is legitimate.

Machiavellian said:
badgenome said:
Depends on what you mean by moneyhatting. If you mean, as in the case of Titanfall, throwing tens of millions of dollars at a third party publisher to stop development of the game for your competitors' consoles... then I think it's a crap practice because it doesn't add to your platform. It merely takes from others'. The moneyhatting of exclusive DLC is in some ways even more reprehensible because it's so utterly stupid and meaningless. No one really gives a shit if the PS3 version of Arkham Origins lets you play as '60s Batman.

But you seem to be confusing moneyhatting with the legitimate functions of a publisher. What Sony does for indies, or what Nintendo is doing for Bayonetta 2, or Microsoft for Sunset Overdrive isn't moneyhatting to me because without the first parties' involvement those games would either not exist at all, or might exist but only in a diminished form.

I know you state it as fact but is that what happen.  Do you know or have any proof that MS paid to have a PS4 version not made or did Respawn come to them and they made a agreement for exclusive rights both companies will do something for the other.  MS give Respawn dedicated servers, money for a year exclusive and Respawn put their game on all of their hardware.  Could this deal end up being like the one between MS and Epic.  A partnership that added greatly to both companies.  By all accounts, the deal between MS and Respawn is legitimate.

No screw respawn I will never buy their game

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

papamudd said:
Machiavellian said:
badgenome said:

No screw respawn I will never buy their game

Is that because you will never buy a 360 or you just hate the company.  Any particular reason why.