By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Jack Tretton: “The Battle for Next Generation’s Hearts and Minds is Being Waged in the West Right Now”

S.T.A.G.E. said:
the2real4mafol said:
I love how it's being talked about like it's an actual war. I guess they want dominance again.

Well sony has to be cautious and determined. If a corporation entered the gaming industry solely to take your marketshare and build around it wouldn't you stand your ground as well? Microsoft halved sonys marketshare but they know the gamers they took are only loyal to third party and price.

True but i think it was a good wake up call for Sony to struggle like it did with PS3. On PS2, it delivered the games but it could've made more games and didn't really care about the smaller games back then. Partly, because they almost owned the industry single handedly and so didn't have to try so hard. But the competition this generation forced better and more unique games from Sony and so we win anyway. I suppose market share don't matter to much to me as long as they don't fail. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Fair enough since the Vita came out in Japan first.

Augen said:
I guess from Sony perspective if they view JP as locked up they sort of take it for granted and focus on NA and EU markets where they could lose or gain far more.

That said, I truly hope Japan is always relevant in the industry as hate to see them grow even more niche next generation.

I agree with you and would hate to see Japan lose even more relevanc but it is kinda trending that way.

Yea cause fuck the rest of the world... 'Merica and its western bitches

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

the2real4mafol said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
the2real4mafol said:
I love how it's being talked about like it's an actual war. I guess they want dominance again.

Well sony has to be cautious and determined. If a corporation entered the gaming industry solely to take your marketshare and build around it wouldn't you stand your ground as well? Microsoft halved sonys marketshare but they know the gamers they took are only loyal to third party and price.

True but i think it was a good wake up call for Sony to struggle like it did with PS3. On PS2, it delivered the games but it could've made more games and didn't really care about the smaller games back then. Partly, because they almost owned the industry single handedly and so didn't have to try so hard. But the competition this generation forced better and more unique games from Sony and so we win anyway. I suppose market share don't matter to much to me as long as they don't fail. 

Judging by their sales this gen, if Sony gets even at parity in sales with Microsoft next gen in the US they will sell a hundred million consoles. They are on the verge of 80 million right now.

Around the Network

Those are some good words, but the fact that they're even questioning the possibility of the home country not even getting the console this year means that Japan simply may not have a large console market enough for needing to release as soon as possible. Not a bad thing though, Japan likes their handhelds.

forethought14 said:
Those are some good words, but the fact that they're even questioning the possibility of the home country not even getting the console this year means that Japan simply may not have a large console market enough for needing to release as soon as possible. Not a bad thing though, Japan likes their handhelds.

Sony hasn't properly supported Japan for a long time. They need to get their shit straight. 

You can't really blame them. U.S. is a much more significant battleground financially speaking. There is a lot to be gained in the U.S. and the West. Japan has importance, but they don't seem to buy many total home consoles.

Can't wait to see the advertisements. I assume they should start coming in about a month or so for Xbox One and PS4. Haven't seen much for either yet except the greatness awaits ad.

Augen said:
I guess from Sony perspective if they view JP as locked up they sort of take it for granted and focus on NA and EU markets where they could lose or gain far more.

That said, I truly hope Japan is always relevant in the industry as hate to see them grow even more niche next generation.

japan is still plenty relavant but much moreso in the handheld space than the console space.