By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Certain Franchises to Big to die off?(Gran Turismo, Mario, and Halo)

So?

Yes, they are too big 41 37.61%

No, they can be killed 37 33.94%

oh sonic lol 19 17.43%

Who knows! 11 10.09%

Maybe 1 0.92%

Total:109

So, do you think certain franchises just can't die off due to their big appeal throughout the years? Franchises like mario(whatever the most popular one is lol), halo, and gran turismo to name a few. Will they be here for years to come. The only example I can think off that has fallen from glory would be sonic, he def doesn't have the appeal he use too. So what do you think?

Around the Network

I don't know if Sonic was ever really as big as those other three franchises. Not to mention, none of these franchises' parent companies are in danger of being forced out of the hardware business, so they still have an advantage over Sega. Still, they all have a chance to die off, even Mario. I don't anticipate it happening anytime soon though.

DucksUnlimited said:
I don't know if Sonic was ever really as big as those other three franchises. Not to mention, none of these franchises' parent companies are in danger of being forced out of the hardware business, so they still have an advantage over Sega. Still, they all have a chance to die off, even Mario. I don't anticipate it happening anytime soon though.

Ya, you could be right about sonic. Mario just seems too, I don't know, immortal maybe. He has been here for a very long time and has spawned countless spinoffs in his name. There are toys and stuff of him too I think. He just seems so ingrained in gaming culture to one day just completely die off.

Probably not. If Mario can last three decades I think other franchises are good to go. In the case of Mario he is like the Mickey Mouse of video games. Mickey is so iconic he has lasted. The same should happen with Mario.

Proud gamer of Nintendo and Sony consoles since 2003.

Mario is the face of gaming. i don't see him dying off anytime soon

Around the Network

Realistic racing can't die.
Platforming can't die.
Modern shooters can't die.

But. All three of those brands can certainly die, if they deviate from what makes the above appeal.

People on these forums get too caught up in 'IP'. Name is only a small part of why games sell.

BloodyRain said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Ya, you could be right about sonic. Mario just seems too, I don't know, immortal maybe. He has been here for a very long time and has spawned countless spinoffs in his name. There are toys and stuff of him too I think. He just seems so ingrained in gaming culture to one day just completely die off.

If it does happen it will be over a long period, and probably as a result of Nintendo leaving the hardware business and being unable to push Mario the way they do now. But like I said, this is something that could only happen in the distant future.

They'll have their ends.

I think it takes a certain degree of mismanagement.

Story-driven franchises are also more at risk if the writing becomes stale and forced. Gears of War and Uncharted are two that I don't think will last much longer, at least not without a hiatus which would allow them to come back fresh.

Soleron said:
Realistic racing can't die.
Platforming can't die.
Modern shooters can't die.

But. All three of those brands can certainly die, if they deviate from what makes the above appeal.

People on these forums get too caught up in 'IP'. Name is only a small part of why games sell.

This.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!