By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Despite all the X1 Improvements, geographical bias will be its biggest problem.

sales2099 said:
psrock said:
I agree, although more expensive, less powerful, American bias will still buy it like crazy. Shameful really.

Please stop with the "power" argument. PS2 didn't get the memo, especially when a Gamecube was more powerful then it.

Games, price, and mmarketing matter. Xbox caters to American tastes. That ain't bias, thats earning customers.

You answered your own question. It's not that Japanese people are bias towards xbox or american companies, the iphone is quite popular there, it's that MS caters more to American period. The xbox is going to get killed everywhere except US and UK. That's not bias, the competition is just better. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
sales2099 said:
psrock said:
I agree, although more expensive, less powerful, American bias will still buy it like crazy. Shameful really.

Please stop with the "power" argument. PS2 didn't get the memo, especially when a Gamecube was more powerful then it.

Games, price, and mmarketing matter. Xbox caters to American tastes. That ain't bias, thats earning customers.

You answered your own question. It's not that Japanese people are bias towards xbox or american companies, the iphone is quite popular there, it's that MS caters more to American period. The xbox is going to get killed everywhere except US and UK. That's not bias, the competition is just better. 

Iphone is popular globally, try again.But its a shame you will never experience living in a Playstation territory anytime soon, seeing as you currently live in occupied Xbox turf :P....bicariously living your life through the lens of a country you don't live in.

"Better" is always subjective. Thats where geographical bias comes in and picks a winner.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Is not just that Japan prefers its own products but also Sony and Nintendo consoles are always good choice, if for example the X360 was competing with something like the Virtual Boy I bet Japan would prefer the X360.

Windows is the most popular OS in Japan and what options do they have? Apple computers are expensive in comparison with a PC (which you can built how you want) and most programs doesn't have a Linux version so they choose Windows which is a solid OS nowadays.

TLDR: Geographical bias but also strong competition.

sales2099 said:
psrock said:
sales2099 said:
psrock said:

Iphone is popular globally, try again.But its a shame you will never experience living in a Playstation territory anytime soon, seeing as you currently live in occupied Xbox turf :P....bicariously living your life through the lens of a country you don't live in.

"Better" is always subjective. Thats where geographical bias comes in and picks a winner.

The Playstation is popular globally too. The PS3 has sold more consoles in the US than any place else, it's just that it sells everywhere too. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

The Playstation is popular globally too. The PS3 has sold more consoles in the US than any place else, it's just that it sells everywhere too. 

MS dominated the global sales for the entire global market with the NA and UK market. Even with the world(internet) against it, it prevailed on hardware and software that envies still the 100 million seller Wii.

PS sells everywhere because it's an urban legend and people even call non-Sony consoles Play Station sometimes.

Can't top that. Follow the leader.

I'm pointing out the Japan bias towards foreign products because every time I get online to inform myself with peer info, all I get is hateful static against Xbox and US. It seems like it's the cool thing to hate on US and show all its imperfection while others put their country and other on a pedestal.

Around the Network
warhammer777 said:

Ninja  please, you're trying way too hard. There is discrimination in every country, there are also good people in every country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLXCCcqnY-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti5ZFmglzV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtiPcX-mZ0

Oh, i didn't know I was a ninja. Thanks.

No, there is only discrimination in Japan. Yes, in US there's no KKK or what used to be Black Panther.

There is only discrimination in countries where I want it to be. Maybe public manifestation of right wing political parties targeting a group of people with death threats and violence is a thing of the US in the present.

Goatseye said:
psrock said:

MS dominated the global sales for the entire global market with the NA and UK market. Even with the world(internet) against it, it prevailed on hardware and software that envies still the 100 million seller Wii.

PS sells everywhere because it's an urban legend and people even call non-Sony consoles Play Station sometimes.

Can't top that. Follow the leader.

I'm pointing out the Japan bias towards foreign products because every time I get online to inform myself with peer info, all I get is hateful static against Xbox and US. It seems like it's the cool thing to hate on US and show all its imperfection while others put their country and other on a pedestal.

The Xbox is still behind the Wii in the US, 

Next Gen 

sales2099 said:
RolStoppable said:
So, in conclusion, what we've learned in this thread is that geographical bias will be the X1's biggest trump card. The world doesn't really like Xbox, but the USA certainly do.

Any objections, sales2099?

None really, as it just confirms what we are all thinking, and my theory that the US can't compensate for the PS centric countries.

O well, guess us North Americans and UK posters should take solice in that our native nations are Xbox turf, and poke fun at PS posters who claim global superiority but actually themselves live in a Xbox dominated territory :)

Anyone is fair game in America, no one is safe, not Xbox, not Sony, not even Nintendo.

As favourable geographical bias in USA, UK and Kazakhstan is going to be XBOne's biggest strength, it's quite natural that it's going to be its biggest weakness too elsewhere.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

allblue said:
Goatseye said:
allblue said:

Umm mister if anything US is the most biased of the three regions. The only reason playstation is taking off in the US is that it is a very culturally diverse nation. Even then Xbox, an american product,k dominates the market. Xbox i s a shooter console, that fact is true and whatever MS  does, it cannot shake off that image. Just look at the top sellers and xbox exclusive to have a clue. 

Playstation has a history,  it has established itself as a console with diverse genre of titles to suit every gamer's taste. It is not that japanese are biased towards Sony in the light of nationalism it is just that xbox isn't appealing and practically unheard in japan before 360 came along. It takes more than one generation to establish a fan base sony did that with playstation one, microsoft tried at the beginning of 360 life cycle,  but the effort was half-assed and died prematurely. Why is it that in Japan iphone has taken off and is still popular despite having the choices of asian alternatives such as Sony, Samsung, Hawei etc?

Admit it OP, you support 360 mostly due to misleaded partriotism. If Playstation was even a European brand you would not have any opposition to it as you do now.  The trend that I have observed in 360 supporters are mostly: male, anglo american, conservative, militarilistic, pro apple, pro nokia, pro NSA and ocassionally storm-front lurkers.

Come and tell me any of these ain't true.

How can you be so willingly blind?
MS is the leading out of the 3 on Arcade and Indy sales. Microsoft has dozens of hit Arcade and Indy hits that Sony and Nintendo combined I believe don't have.

Samsung and Hawei ARE NOT POPULAR IN JAPAN.

Your obsession with anti-Americanism is deceiving your brain. Do you know who is the leading character on Crackdown and State of Decay? Do you know that MS owns MSNBC and it's included in Xbox app store? Xbox pro Apple?

Did you quote the wrong person? Because you seemed to have answered nothing with your post especially the last paragraph. My post in its entirety is to call OP a hypocrite, you cannot accuse other regions of bias while xbox's success in america for the most part is fueled by patriotism and protectionism. 

Anti-american? You seem to be implying that there is something fundamentally so great about america that even remotely criticizing its hyprocrisy is deemed as being antagonistic to it. I don't hate America, it is a great land, some great scholars that I admire originate from there. I just like to take every opportunity to dish out that stinking hypocrisy in your government and a small minority of the population who has their heads in the cloud. 

Is everything fair and just in America? The whole presidential veto thinig in apple vs samsung case screams protectionism. I wonder what happened to those China hacking america headlines after the whole NSA fiasco? 

Explain.

Ha ha! Americans have no brand loyalty to the US. that is absurd. We sold out to foriegn manufactures a long time ago. No one cares where anything is made in the US. Xbox won the us for a couple of very simple reasons, released first, released cheaper (americans care more about price than anyhitng), and released with a comprehensive online system at the right time when FPS blew up on consoles. Xbox succes in the us had nothing to do with ms being american (which will be seen as the xbox one fails against the ps4 dues to price).