By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Soccer: Mexico Vs USA

I'm from Argentina and we always beat Mexico, but Brazil always beats us :(

Regarding of Basketball, Argentina has come up with some great player (Like Ginobilli, Nocioni, Scola, etc) who are playin in the NBA. I hope we can win the gold medal this year as we did in 2004, beating USA in semis :O

Around the Network

Ginobilli is a definate NBA star

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

@weezy - you do know we arent dominating much anything anymore right? we lost basketball in 2 straight international competitions and lost the baseball international tournament held before last years spring training. and well, american football is still all ours but the other 2 sports, we arent "dominating" by no means.

Hi Im mexican

^_^

@Sol & Thanny The difference between our top players leaving and your top players leaving to play in EPL is that we have less TOP players so the impact is greater on our MLS the your A-League. National team vs national team. dont judge American soccer with a friendly match vs LA Galaxy

ps wth does soccer call these matches "friendly"? they should be called exhibitions, none of the players play any easier or softer or friendlier...

Around the Network
weezy said:
Hate to bring this up....

The reason we (U.S.) don't dominate soccer (like we do with every other sport) is becuase all of our best atheletes are playing basketball, football americano and baseball.

Just imagine if LeBron James was a soccer player? HOLY SHIT

Is this not true?

No, defintely not true.  I'm sure we would be better, but to say that someone like LeBron James, as wonderful a basketball player as he is, could have been a top footballer is pretty ridiculous.  Size doesn't mean much in soccer, except for goalkeepers.  There aren't any top players who are 6'9" or whatever.  Diego Maradona was, what, 5'4", Pele 5'11".  Being faster/stronger doesn't make you the best footballer around either (obviously they don't hurt).

As for American football, most positions in that game are based more on strength and wrestling and very few on actual technique, which is at a premium in world football.  And very few of our best athletes are playing baseball, let's get real.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

USA has top notch world class atheletes who would never play soccer ever.

if our top atheletes played soccer it would be domination.

just imagine a bunch of 6'2''-6'9'' dudes who are faster and stronger.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

weezy said:
USA has top notch world class atheletes who would never play soccer ever.

if our top atheletes played soccer it would be domination.

just imagine a bunch of 6'2''-6'9'' dudes who are faster and stronger.

What makes you think American athletes could automatically achieve "domination" in any sport they tried? That's ridiculous.

And again, being 6'9" is not much of an advantage when playing football, except for goalkeepers. Even then it's probably too much height. Balance, acceleration, change of pace, intelligence, anticipation and technique are all far more important than height, speed and strength in football. Sure, if you're 6'9" and built like a beast you are going to win headers more often, but as the English learned in the '90s this hardly guarantees success.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Another simple example is Ben Jhonson, he was one of the fastest man, he try to play soccer for canada and he simple sucked...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

USA! well, because I live there. :p Seems kinda silly to say I hope my country loses.