By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

Nintendo wants Wii U to be the system that every developer wants to publish on!

http://nintendoeverything.com/moffitt-strong-relationships-with-third-parties-wants-wii-u-to-be-the-system-that-every-developer-wants-to-publish-on-more-great-games-next-year/

YES! They seem to hit the mark! So johnlucas has the right views of Nintendo. They're STILL fighting the revolution, but this time the 3rd Party will help them! - Hopefully!

To conclude here's an excerpt:
"Moffitt concluded by saying that 2013 is “just the start of a steady flow of great games coming to Wii U, with lots more to come in 2014.”"

Around the Network
RedPikmin95 said:

Nintendo wants Wii U to be the system that every developer wants to publish on!

http://nintendoeverything.com/moffitt-strong-relationships-with-third-parties-wants-wii-u-to-be-the-system-that-every-developer-wants-to-publish-on-more-great-games-next-year/

YES! They seem to hit the mark! So johnlucas has the right views of Nintendo. They're STILL fighting the revolution, but this time the 3rd Party will help them! - Hopefully!

To conclude here's an excerpt:
"Moffitt concluded by saying that 2013 is “just the start of a steady flow of great games coming to Wii U, with lots more to come in 2014.”"

Lol, no shit! What console manufacture doesn't want to be the system every developer wants to publish on????

What they want and what they'll actually get are two different things.

Great news indeed. But the likes of EA games and WB will have a really hard time convincing Wii U owners to buy their games seeing how bad their ports are.

I-I just can't believe what I have just read. This is it, my worst case scenario realized.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/201892/Square_Enix_adopts_crowdfunding_model_for_new_program.php

Square Enix, is crowd-funding games.

The gist of this program is them taking ideas from the community, and then having the community foot the bill for the game, with Square Enix making the game, and the profit. This is a new low for the industry.

This is disgusting.

JohannStrauss said:
Great news indeed. But the likes of EA games and WB will have a really hard time convincing Wii U owners to buy their games seeing how bad their ports are.

I thought Batman Arkham City definitve version looked good.

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
JohannStrauss said:

I thought Batman Arkham City definitve version looked good.

Yes it does look good,  but in the other hand we have no multiplayer for the Wii U version of Arkham Origins. Also Injustice has  a bad multiplayer feature and not to mention that the ultimate edition wont be launched on the wii u because of the bad sales and other reasons they didnt tell.

Killzone dev: Effort needed to make next-gen title has "quadrupled"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-07-killzone-dev-effort-needed-just-to-make-a-next-gen-title-has-quadrupled

O...M...G...
Yes, I always thought that development of next-gen-titles is will be much more complex than this gens already is, but well, I did not believe that the effort-leap would be THAT large! Hell, QUADRUPLED!
Oh, oh, I don't want to know how this will end....and the is funny thing is, it came right off the horses mouth! A first-party-dev of Sony! Not some analyst, but a developer itself!

It seems this news came up on the RIGHT time...

Here's an excerpt:
"The architecture is really cool because it's easier to develop for, you get more memory, you get more hard drive space, you get more processing power so the architecture is easier," Eric Boltjes told VG247.

"It's also a lot more demanding, because the production effort needed just to make a next-gen title now is not doubled; It's quadrupled."

"That's because everything needs to look that much better. It takes a lot more people, and that takes a lot more communication. So it does it make things a lot more easier from a technical standpoint, but from a professional standpoint it makes things a lot harder."

We'll see, how it will go on...

RedPikmin95 said:

Killzone dev: Effort needed to make next-gen title has "quadrupled"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-07-killzone-dev-effort-needed-just-to-make-a-next-gen-title-has-quadrupled

O...M...G...
Yes, I always thought that development of next-gen-titles is will be much more complex than this gens already is, but well, I did not believe that the effort-leap would be THAT large! Hell, QUADRUPLED!
Oh, oh, I don't want to know how this will end....and the is funny thing is, it came right off the horses mouth! A first-party-dev of Sony! Not some analyst, but a developer itself!

It seems this news came up on the RIGHT time...

Here's an excerpt:
"The architecture is really cool because it's easier to develop for, you get more memory, you get more hard drive space, you get more processing power so the architecture is easier," Eric Boltjes told VG247.

"It's also a lot more demanding, because the production effort needed just to make a next-gen title now is not doubled; It's quadrupled."

"That's because everything needs to look that much better. It takes a lot more people, and that takes a lot more communication. So it does it make things a lot more easier from a technical standpoint, but from a professional standpoint it makes things a lot harder."

We'll see, how it will go on...

So if nin10do is right about Wii U being stronger, Nintendo is doomed confirmed!

johnlucas said:

But at the end of 2009 here comes the landmark New Super Mario Bros. Wii & Nintendo returns to outer space!
December 2009 saw the greatest monthly console sales in videogame history as Nintendo sold over 3.8 million Wiis!
Wii OBLITERATES the previous 2.7 million record the PS2 made in December 2002 while its handheld companion DS bests its own record of all-time best monthly handheld sales with over 3.3 million sold!

No, Wii returns to outer space due to a price cut of 50 euros. New Super Mario Bros. Wii was just another game among many ones that sold dozens of millions worldwide.

johnlucas said:

No one could stop Nintendo with all the HD in the world.
It didn't matter that most of the 3rd party developers revolted & protested the Wii.
And trust me it really wasn't about Wii's horsepower why the 3rd party refused to put their best efforts on Wii.

Ultimately, it was. Once Wii was a less powerful console, most of hardcore titles couldn't be made on it...and, because of that, hardcore gamers didn't buy the Wii...which made the few hardcore titles to sell almost nothing...which then made the hardcore devs to avoid the Wii.

johnlucas said:

Then the inevitable effects of the Nintendo Revolution took place as Microsoft unveiled Kinect & Sony unveiled Move in 2010.
Suddenly the 360's Blades became Avatars (dashed from that board, eh?) & Kevin Butler did all he could to hardsell the marvel of motion control.
Now that the others finally caught up with the Future of Gaming, everyone was sure that Wii was cooked (especially with Nintendo taking another break that summer).

Nintendo wasn't cooked but it was losing momentum pretty badly...and it wasn't because of Kinect or Move. Motion was finally losing its temporary supremacy and the solid sales from the old school gaming were conquering the first places of the charts while Nintendo didn't have any more short-term ideas to continue the revolution as you say.

johnlucas said:

Following Sony's PS3 Slim example, Microsoft put a woman's waist on their console, fixed up the Red Rings, called it the XBox 360 S & soon premature headlines saying the 360 beat the Wii for the holidays AND ALL of 2010 were plastered EVERYWHERE in the press.
What did Nintendo do in response?
They simply painted the console red, packed in New Super Mario Bros. Wii extra, & had the SECOND greatest monthly home console sales in the 7th Generation with nearly 2.4 million Wiis sold!
Needless to say Wii beat the 360 that month...and that year ('but but the 360 beat 'em in revenue! revenue!' cried the sad backtrackers).

With a simple paint job Wii defeated the HD Twins yet again & continued to epitomize The Little Engine That Could.

It wasn't just a simple paint job. In that year, Wii had several new bundles and suffered small price drops without damaging the "200 euros to get a Wii". Yet, YoY sales continue to drop during the entire year, while PS3 and X360 were selling like never before. This was the HD turn around. 2011, 2012 and 2013 were just a continuation of this.

johnlucas said:

2011 should have been the year Nintendo pushed the Wii harder than ever before to break the 3rd party's obstinance.
Instead...they quit. They just quit. They stop striking. They stop fighting The Revolution.

Then Zelda: Skyward Sword is nothing for you? 2011 was just another year. Nintendo was never able to launch as many titles as 3rd parties anyway.

johnlucas said:

Apple & the rest of the smartphone/tablet gang absorb & replicate what Nintendo did on DS & Wii throwing Nintendo off their game in the process.

I don't think so. Nintendo has been copying Apple, not the other way around.

johnlucas said:

Nintendo abruptly puts out the 3DS to answer Apple, Samsung, & the gang & the whole affair seems to take their eye off Wii (and really what's with that lame "Family Edition" Wii crap anyhow?).

Abruptly? How? 3DS followed a normal DS life-cycle. 3DS was announced in 2009, an year and a half before its release. There's nothing abrupt on that.

johnlucas said:

Wii was intended to be Everybody's Console. Wii U is aimed to be for the so-called "Hardcore".

If that's so, then why is the Wii U less than 1 generation ahead of the Wii? If Wii is on a kind of 6.5th generation, Wii U is on the 7th generation along with the PS3 and X360. Hardcore today, casual tomorrow...once PS4 and XB1 (consoles that really belong to the 8th generation) Wii U isn't for hardcore anymore. The few developers that tried the system are already realizing that looking at the miserable sales of their hardcore titles on the Wii U, while the others won't even touch it.

johnlucas said:

So why did the 3rd party sabotage the Nintendo Revolution?
Because of one of my favorite sayings: 1st party + 2nd party + 3rd party = Nintendo's party.
If the 3rd parties ever got square behind Nintendo with support, they lose their political leverage in the business.
Microsoft's & Sony's platforms are the vehicles for their political leverage & with the XBox One you got a taste of things to come should they run this industry outright.

Sorry, I couldn't get you here. What are you trying to say? In my opinion, 3rd party devs didn't sabotage the Wii. It's just that you can't run a game like GTA IV (with so many objects, AI units, complexity and freedom at the same time) in a so low powered system as the Wii is...unless you use graphics and game engines from the 5th generation. And the same happens with Assassin's Creed, Batman, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Tom Clancy's games, Bioshock, Fallout, etc. Were you willing to play any of those games with graphics and physics similar to Crash Bandicoot? Of course not.

johnlucas said:

I said it before, I'll say it again. Nintendo is Dad. The 3rd Party are The Kids. In the NES days The Kids had to abide by Dad's Rules in Dad's House. And The Kids always chafed at Dad's Rules. They spent some time at next door neighbor Sega's house but even though Sega was a little more lenient than Pops, Sega had his rules too. But when they had a chance to hang out with Uncle Sony, The Kids fled Dad's House & only visited Dad on THEIR terms. Uncle Sony let them run the household anyway they wanted & they got used to calling the shots. Staying up late hours partying through the night. Binge drinking & other wild reckless behavior. FREEDOM!

I agree with your matephore. But I would rather see it as a good thing. In the end what matters are games, so game creators should have control of the industry, not console makers. Previously we had a dictatorship. Now we are in democracy and I understand if some devs eventually fear Nintendo to be dominant again and restore the dictatorship.

johnlucas said:

They aborted the Wii to continue The Revolution in the Wii U.

You know that's simply not true. But even if it was, that means they aborted it in 2009 to start Wii U significantly (lets hope in 2014 already). 5 years? That's way too much. In the middle having a declining Wii, which is doing around 12% of the yearly market share (with some weeks doing 4%) while they had more than 50% in 2008. Why such a pause? I tell you: there's no pause. They simply can't do better than this. They are doing their best like they've always did. Wii was a huge success at the beginning but a long-term failure considering the whole generation. And the Wii U isn't able to be strong not even in the beginning. Now Nintendo is scare, not the devs anymore.

johnlucas said:

This is not the era of the NES-to-SNES when the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit made you go "WOW!".
This is not the era of the SNES-to-N64 when the jump from 2D sprites to 3D polygons made you go "WOW!".
This is not the era of the N64-to-Gamecube when the 'smoothening' of the polygons made you go "YEAH!".

This is the era of the Game Cube to Wii where most of 3rd parties can't put their games running on the Nintendo's system and Wii fans have no choice but to catch star coins all the way and say "Yupiii!" :)

Now, seriously, graphics aren't the only outcome power can deliver. Physics, AI, number of objects, draw distance and many other aspects that affect gameplay they all rely on power.

johnlucas said:

Wii U WILL BE THE LEADER of the 8th Generation Consoles BY FAR. It will outsell the XBox One & PlayStation 4 HANDILY throughout the generation.
And should The Revolution go as planned, this will be the LAST CONSOLE WAR between Nintendo, Sony, & Microsoft.
Wii U obtains what was denied to Wii. Wii U at last becomes EVERYBODY'S CONSOLE.
Oh & you want a number? Here's one for you: 12 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2013.
Here's another: 35 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2014.
Here's one more: 60 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2015.
And one more for the road: 240 million LIFETIME Wii U sales.

I believe you're absolutely wrong. You naturally believe you're right. But we will all be here to see that. My prediction is that Wii U will do between 50M and 70M lifetime sales.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

Zod95 said:

johnlucas said:

Following Sony's PS3 Slim example, Microsoft put a woman's waist on their console, fixed up the Red Rings, called it the XBox 360 S & soon premature headlines saying the 360 beat the Wii for the holidays AND ALL of 2010 were plastered EVERYWHERE in the press.
What did Nintendo do in response?
They simply painted the console red, packed in New Super Mario Bros. Wii extra, & had the SECOND greatest monthly home console sales in the 7th Generation with nearly 2.4 million Wiis sold!
Needless to say Wii beat the 360 that month...and that year ('but but the 360 beat 'em in revenue! revenue!' cried the sad backtrackers).

With a simple paint job Wii defeated the HD Twins yet again & continued to epitomize The Little Engine That Could.

It wasn't just a simple paint job. In that year, Wii had several new bundles and suffered small price drops without damaging the "200 euros to get a Wii". Yet, YoY sales continue to drop during the entire year, while PS3 and X360 were selling like never before. This was the HD turn around. 2011, 2012 and 2013 were just a continuation of this.

Actually 3D sold more in 2012 & 2013 via the Nintendo 3DS, as well as 3D TV sells having there non-stop YoY sells, plus they always sell more then HD did during the same point in life spam.

johnlucas said:

Apple & the rest of the smartphone/tablet gang absorb & replicate what Nintendo did on DS & Wii throwing Nintendo off their game in the process.

I don't think so. Nintendo has been copying Apple, not the other way around.

The DS came out in 2004 for Touch Screens, and the Wii was shown at E3 2005 for Motion Sensors. The iPhone was revealed in 2006.

johnlucas said:

Nintendo abruptly puts out the 3DS to answer Apple, Samsung, & the gang & the whole affair seems to take their eye off Wii (and really what's with that lame "Family Edition" Wii crap anyhow?).

Abruptly? How? 3DS followed a normal DS life-cycle. 3DS was announced in 2009, an year and a half before its release. There's nothing abrupt on that.

actually the 3DS has sold 370,000 when the DS during same weeks in life spam had only sold like 30,000.

johnlucas said:

Wii was intended to be Everybody's Console. Wii U is aimed to be for the so-called "Hardcore".

If that's so, then why is the Wii U less than 1 generation ahead of the Wii? If Wii is on a kind of 6.5th generation, Wii U is on the 7th generation along with the PS3 and X360. Hardcore today, casual tomorrow...once PS4 and XB1 (consoles that really belong to the 8th generation) Wii U isn't for hardcore anymore. The few developers that tried the system are already realizing that looking at the miserable sales of their hardcore titles on the Wii U, while the others won't even touch it.

the Wii U has a custom made HD GPGPU and more then 400 shader cores and more then 1,000,000,000 polygons and a IBM POWER 7 custom made CPU.

johnlucas said:

I said it before, I'll say it again. Nintendo is Dad. The 3rd Party are The Kids. In the NES days The Kids had to abide by Dad's Rules in Dad's House. And The Kids always chafed at Dad's Rules. They spent some time at next door neighbor Sega's house but even though Sega was a little more lenient than Pops, Sega had his rules too. But when they had a chance to hang out with Uncle Sony, The Kids fled Dad's House & only visited Dad on THEIR terms. Uncle Sony let them run the household anyway they wanted & they got used to calling the shots. Staying up late hours partying through the night. Binge drinking & other wild reckless behavior. FREEDOM!

I agree with your matephore. But I would rather see it as a good thing. In the end what matters are games, so game creators should have control of the industry, not console makers. Previously we had a dictatorship. Now we are in democracy and I understand if some devs eventually fear Nintendo to be dominant again and restore the dictatorship.

Actually Nintendo gives 3rd parties 100% freedom with the 3DS & Wii U to make any kind of games Devs want to make. Only the PlayStations Xboxes limit what Devs can do with Blood & gore & violence and everything else. So only PS & Xbox are dictators, because they are afraid to get sued for a certain very high amount of Violence and sexual content and etc.

Only Nintendo is allowing true freedom for no limits on content in Video Games.

johnlucas said:

This is not the era of the NES-to-SNES when the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit made you go "WOW!".
This is not the era of the SNES-to-N64 when the jump from 2D sprites to 3D polygons made you go "WOW!".
This is not the era of the N64-to-Gamecube when the 'smoothening' of the polygons made you go "YEAH!".

This is the era of the Game Cube to Wii where most of 3rd parties can't put their games running on the Nintendo's system and Wii fans have no choice but to catch star coins all the way and say "Yupiii!" :)

Now, seriously, graphics aren't the only outcome power can deliver. Physics, AI, number of objects, draw distance and many other aspects that affect gameplay they all rely on power.

The HD GPGPU takes care of practically all of that, if not all of that. (Wii U)

johnlucas said:

Wii U WILL BE THE LEADER of the 8th Generation Consoles BY FAR. It will outsell the XBox One & PlayStation 4 HANDILY throughout the generation.
And should The Revolution go as planned, this will be the LAST CONSOLE WAR between Nintendo, Sony, & Microsoft.
Wii U obtains what was denied to Wii. Wii U at last becomes EVERYBODY'S CONSOLE.
Oh & you want a number? Here's one for you: 12 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2013.
Here's another: 35 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2014.
Here's one more: 60 million Wii U's sold by December 31, 2015.
And one more for the road: 240 million LIFETIME Wii U sales.

I believe you're absolutely wrong. You naturally believe you're right. But we will all be here to see that. My prediction is that Wii U will do between 50M and 70M lifetime sales.

Realistically the Wii U can sell at least 120 million worst case scenario.