By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

ZOMFG! They did it! They did it! :O

Steam Machines announced!
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/25/valve-announces-steam-machines

Around the Network
RedPikmin95 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/25/valve-announces-steam-machines

Valve announces Steam Machines to challenge games console market
Article quote:

Described by the company as 'a powerful new category of living-room hardware', the Steam Machines will essentially be high-performance PCs with capabilities designed around gaming and other entertainment applications. Valve will not build the consoles itself, instead it is working with 'multiple partners', and there will be various models to choose from, all with different tech specs and price points (which are set to be revealed in more depth later). All the machines will run the SteamOS, a streamlined operating system announced by Valve on Monday.

3DO Jr. just like I thought.
Will end in the same result as 3DO Sr.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Because it's gonna be basically like the classic PC market without a certain structure and much chaos? No unity will be there? Different tech specs, price points....various models to choose from...multiple partners....that just sounds like it...

RedPikmin95 said:

Because it's gonna be basically like the classic PC market without a certain structure and much chaos? No unity will be there? Different tech specs, price points....various models to choose from...multiple partners....that just sounds like it...

Didn't I tell you it was gonna be Gabe Newell's personal 3DO?

I seen all this stuff before. I have been around gaming for 33 years, man. I done seen all the hype & rah rah. I know better.

Steam is Vapor! It's gone. It's mists in the wind. No machines will pump that steam.

These PC guys cannot get over it. Nintendo destroyed their world 25-30 years ago. They haven't been the same since.
They don't know whether to try to convert consoles into a PC-like environment or like the Valve boss whether to make a console in the spirit of a PC.

But that's just it.
Both videogame consoles & personal computers are computers.
The DIFFERENCE between the console & the PC is that the console is SIMPLIFIED, UNIFIED, & FOCUSED on gaming functions.
The PC is GENERALIZED, VARIED, DIFFUSE for gaming functions. It has to be tweaked, tinkered with, & manually optimized for gaming since it's really supposed to do EVERYTHING with gaming as a SUB-FUNCTION.

It's much the same reason why PSP couldn't overcome the DS.
The PSP was DIFFUSE & UNFOCUSED on gaming. It tried to be The Walkman of the 21st Century playing music, movies, & everything else with gaming as a SUB-FUNCTION.
The DS was UNIFIED & FOCUSED on gaming first & foremost.
Even with the DSi's extra functionality, those things were the SIDESHOW. Gaming was STILL the primary focus of that Nintendo handheld.

Nintendo being The KING, The RULER, The EMPEROR of Consoles continues the tradition of FOCUS, UNIFICATION, & SIMPLIFICATION for their very SPECIALIZED gaming computers that we call Consoles.

PC-minded Gabe Newell of Valve brings HIS tradition of UNFOCUSEDNESS, DISUNIFICATION, & COMPLICATION from the very GENERALIZED all-around computers that we call PCs.

No UNITY between manufacturers.
No UNITY on the component specifications because of the varied manufacturers.
No UNITY on product because of the varied manufacturers.
No UNITY on pricing because of the varied manufacturers.

And Valve thinks they can compete with the consoles with this madness???

First of all he already had an uphill battle since there are already 3 major consoles on the market.
There's a sort of cap on how many major competitors can compete at one time.
There's only so much shelf space available, you know.

Gabe will guarantee he's out of the running with what he unveiled here.
And if he tries to remarket this fiasco as a new kind of PC, he runs into every other PC hardware maker & has to justify why his hardware is better than theirs.
That's pretty hard to do when you try to make the machine half-console with all the inherent limitations in upgrades consoles have.
Like Microsoft with Zune media players, eventually all Valve will have valid is the software form in SteamOS.
Zune got reduced to a program instead of being a full-fledged media player to compete with iPod.

SteamOS is all that Valve has going for it.
But that's not much different than his Steam Client in the first place, is it?

Steam Machine lives up to its name. it's just blowing steam & hot air.
No threat whatsoever.
3DO Jr. is all it is.
And it will end up just like 3DO Sr. mark my words.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said:
RedPikmin95 said:

Article quote:

Described by the company as 'a powerful new category of living-room hardware', the Steam Machines will essentially be high-performance PCs with capabilities designed around gaming and other entertainment applications. Valve will not build the consoles itself, instead it is working with 'multiple partners', and there will be various models to choose from, all with different tech specs and price points (which are set to be revealed in more depth later). All the machines will run the SteamOS, a streamlined operating system announced by Valve on Monday.

John Lucas

You know what is amusing about all of this? Valve got the upswing on Sony's raison d'etre for their software direction and vision with this. Sony really does seem to be keen on pissing their business away. Especially considering they really havent changed their strategy that much from the PS2/PSP methods that so far havent worked for the Vita.

The new Mantle API seems rather interesting, it could lead to some future steps to make the PC's more affordable and gaming focused, while still remaining an evolving platform.

Although Im starting to wonder if this will cause situations in Japan like Unreal did.

Around the Network

Wii U has "real potential and power" says Ubisoft

Executive Director Alain Corre says "a machine works when you have great content on it."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-has-real-potential-and-power-says-ubisoft-6414952

GAMES! GAMES! GAMES!

Why not just post the full interview instead of linking to Gamespot?

Okay, so I link the whole Interview. But I don't have the time to read it now myself. I just browsed over fast until I stumbled across THIS words:

"FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME, THE FIRST GENERATION OF GAMES ON [PS4 AND XBOX ONE] WILL BE MILES, MILES BETTER THAN THE FIRST GENERATION OF GAMES WE USED TO HAVE"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/430795/interviews/interview-alain-corre-on-ubisofts-next-gen-masterplan/

Interesting, Interesting...so nin10do was right?!

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:
johnlucas said:

Article quote:

John Lucas

You know what is amusing about all of this? Valve got the upswing on Sony's raison d'etre for their software direction and vision with this. Sony really does seem to be keen on pissing their business away. Especially considering they really havent changed their strategy that much from the PS2/PSP methods that so far havent worked for the Vita.

The new Mantle API seems rather interesting, it could lead to some future steps to make the PC's more affordable and gaming focused, while still remaining an evolving platform.

Although Im starting to wonder if this will cause situations in Japan like Unreal did.

Now I understand you :(

Sony's legit man.

So's Nintendo, and Valve, and Microsoft. Everybody's awesome!

Even Ouya!

RedPikmin95 said:
Okay, I link the whole Interview. But I don't have the time to read it now myself. I just browse over fast until I stumbled across THIS words:

"FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME, THE FIRST GENERATION OF GAMES ON [PS4 AND XBOX ONE] WILL BE MILES, MILES BETTER THAN THE FIRST GENERATION OF GAMES WE USED TO HAVE"

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/430795/interviews/interview-alain-corre-on-ubisofts-next-gen-masterplan/

Interesting, Interesting...so nin10do was right?!

I thought nin10do was saying the Wii U was strongest. How does this article make him right?