By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

nin10do said:

I hope you guys don't mind me making predictions of my own.

By March 31st, 2014.

Xbox One: 2.5-3 Million Units Sold
Playstation 4: 2-2.5 Million Units Sold
Wii U: 11-12 Million Units Sold

You are predicting the $100 more expensive, and released in less markets than the PS4, XBOX ONE is going to outsell the PS4?  Really?

Around the Network

Don't actually know how to quote on this site...

Anyways; yes I do predict the XBO will outsell the PS4 in at least it's first 2 quarters (November-December and Q1), for two simple reasons. First off, the superbowl. Many people will find that enticing and will like the idea of Kinect. Don't forget there are also wealthy people in this world, and people to which money isn't an issue in deciding a 10 year console. It won't sell to the same Nintendo crowd or Sony crowd (which is actually smaller than you may think. That stereotype of dudebro college frat guys in the Xbox One commercial exist, I know people like that myself. There are people that will buy the most expensive stuff, those that get a new iPhone every year at launch. The ability to be there at game night and say "Xbox NFL" will appeal to people, like it or not. It may not win the Holidays but I expect sales to pick up and surpass PS4 in February. 

The second reason is the biggest reason, the reason people buy games. There are no doubt people that won't consider the Wii U, and what it comes down to is which has the most/best games. As it stands now, PS4 has 4 games in the launch window. One of which is a new Platforming IP, which hasn't been their core audience since the early PS2 days,  and another is a new Driving sim IP, when Gran Turismo will be out at around the same time for PS3. Killzone and inFAMOUS aren't enough to move significant units. Titanfall has much more potential than inFAMOUS at the same time. Xbox One simply has the most games. Sony may have said they were focused on the gamers and MS may have shunned the gamers, but out of the two Xbox One has the most games/exclusives. Hell Sony's big 100 games in the first year was filled with over 50 download/indie titles.  At least MS' titles are retail. At launch XBO has 6 retail exlusives and Titanfall in Q1, Sony has 3 exclusives and inFAMOUS in Q1. They may win Black Friday, but after that it's all up in the air and about the games, and as it is now Sony is lacking in that regard.

richardhutnik said:
If one wants to mention the Wii here, it tailing off was an decent part due to it being underpowered. When you don't have sufficient power, and development goes on, your console can't keep up. That is what happened to the Wii, and the Wii U is at risk of similar happening.

PS2 was underpowered compared to the Gamecube & XBox.

Not only did it dominate them on the sales charts it sold for 12 years on the retail shelves.
Try another argument.

Wii stopped selling because Nintendo stopped making games for it. That simple.
How hard is it for people to understand that it's not power that sells systems? ESPECIALLY now.
Is it some kind of recurrent amnesia that strikes with the coming of each generation?

Vita's a PS3 in your hands. Much stronger than the Gamecube-to-Wii powered 3DS.
How come it's not dominating the 3DS?
John Lucas

P.S.: Seriously this power power argument needs to die. History proves it wrong again & again.

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

RedPikmin95 said:

My pleasure, johnlucas! ;D And here's another one :)

I found an interesting video on YouTube regarding the nextgen graphics. 
This person actually proves that graphics are REALLY over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgulHQI_sGQ&hd=1

Ironically it is also necessary to EXPLAIN WHY the WiiU is THE console to buy. ^^
Just like with the other two nextgen consoles(graphics, see video above) you have to explain it's features 'cause it can't be understood by just seeing it as you said a few posts earlier. 

Interesting, so this upcoming generation is gonna be the era of MARKETING.
And, come on, that's the REAL reason why WiiU is currently struggling. It LACKS OF GOOD MARKETING. (And games, but we know they are coming)

So Nintendo really has to BOOST it's marketing department!
I hope they will finally start with the campaign - backed by their viral weapon called Miiverse.

I'm really liking that guy's videos. Somebody else posted a link to one of his videos earlier in this thread.
I went ahead & subscribed to Doctre81 after seeing these clips.
Doctre81 points out that E3 presenters had to EXPLAIN why the graphics for Sony's & Microsoft's new systems are different from the ones on their old systems.
When before they would just SHOW you WITHOUT explanation.
Graphical improvements should always be APPARENT. If you gotta prep the audience, that means the visuals haven't really improved much.

As for the marketing, it's true that Nintendo's marketing for Wii U is not as unified as Wii's was. Wii looked EXACTLY like the Revolution it promised to be.
You got Japanese men coming to your front door with that badass Japanese music saying "Wii Would Like To Play".
Showing togetherness with all the people from various walks of life.
(example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5, example 6)
The minimalist Japanese commercials epitomizing 'a fresh start'. Almost looks like a laundry commercial.
(example 1, example 2, example 3, example 4, example 5, example 6)

While Wii U commercials show off a hint of the features but don't carry that same Revolutionary weight.
Nintendo needs to tap back into some of that for the Wii U.
Because Wii U IS Wii Part 2. The second half of The Revolution.

However, the REAL seller of the Wii U will be the growing Miiverse. Marketing will only carry the system so far. Opens the door so to speak.
The people who learn about Wii U through their friends will be what REALLY carries the system.
We may begin to see this marketing overhaul this Christmas.
Show off the Gamepad with the Wiimote but focus on the spirit of those old Wii commercials in every region.
Most of all remind people that all Wii controllers & accessories work on the Wii U. No need to buy new stuff if you already have a Wii.

They hit a masterstroke with Wii. Perfect execution.
Wii U has started rocky but I know it will actually go further than Wii once it gets its momentum going.
John Lucas

nin10do said:

I hope you guys don't mind me making predictions of my own.

By March 31st, 2014.

Xbox One: 2.5-3 Million Units Sold
Playstation 4: 2-2.5 Million Units Sold
Wii U: 11-12 Million Units Sold

Predictions are crazy laughable especially with the slate of games both consoles have (Titanfall in March for Xbox One) You're expecting weaker sell through for both compared to WiiU, despite the fact the hyper and interest for both are ten fold of that WiiU had.

Now those are just sales predictions. Now let me say something else, another prediction. PS4/XBO and the most underwhelming consoles I've seen, in terms of what's actually offered, which is nothing the previous consoles aren't offering.

Like I said above given the hyper/interest, a lot of people don't agree with you. You're also not looking very hard. They both offer graphical improvements, much better online functionality and system OS enhancements and both have more immersive controller inputs than what PS360 launched with.

Nintendo is irrelevant now, sure. Come Holiday and Kart, when people outside of the core and the fanboys start buying the system, that's when it will become apparent. MS, Sony, and the media have tried hard at pushing Nintendo into a corner and making them seem irrelevant after the success of the Wii, but when it comes down to it, and people start getting their hands on this thing, it's going to explode.

You realise Nintendo have already had one holiday right? It's funny how the Wii didn't need a 10 month buffer to get going isn't it? Why exactly is it going to explode? What is it going to offer to the masses which it hasn't for the last 10 months? How exactly are they going to get their hands on it when people aren't buying it? ....

This is a system that takes playing to understand and in the midst of silence, post e3 and all this, I've been keeping an ear out and I've noticed, attention is starting to garner with the Wii U.

Really? Because despite Pikmin releasing it just posted sales on par with its lowest ever in the US, and that is its best market. So that's completely anecdotal on your part and evidently isn't what is actually happening.

People are starting to get curious about it. What will happen when Nintendo does another Nintendo Experience event with Super Mario 3D World and Kart and people see their old time favorites in HD with this amazing new system that does so much more, when the other two don't do much of anything new.

The same as when they first announced them? Pretty much nothing?

This is after those 11-12 million sales, because once people have the box in their home, and maybe some having the other boxes as well, they'll be underwhelmed by the difference in the PS4/XBO. I predict they will become irrelevant and by this time next year, when Smash is out or about to be out, the notion of getting a PS4 or XBO will be ridiculous, even for the core gamers that were all up and excited at the Sony presser. That was me at first, I shouted into the air with that DRM stuff and proclaimed myself a Sony gamer. Then the dust settled and I asked myself, "why?" Then I looked into the Wii U which was honestly off my radar at the time, once I saw it, and what it could do, I became a believer.

The difference is already striking, and yet again people thinking all Sony and Microsoft offer on the table is graphics, tsk tsk. Your comment about them becoming irrelevant is just embarrassing. You can't actually be serious. Yes all those God of War, Halo, GTA, ect fans are simply going to upsticks and jump on board WiiU because of Smash, because that's totally what they did last gen isn't, and the one before that ...

As such, I've been buying stocks and I will be buying more in these days before the price drop hits, and especially before Pokemon hits. I don't know where the market will be 2 years from now, but I do know that the next year will be a good year for Nintendo.

You don't know that you're just guessing.

P.S; it's not underpowered, it's more powerful than it seems but again, I'll get to that soon. I will say this, PS4 and XBO aren't getting better than what we'll see at launch. The reason things get progressively better with most consoles is that they use custom hardware which is hard to develop for and they don't know how to use the hardware and it takes time to develop special tools for them. That's not the case anymore with those two. They have no barrier for entry so what we see now is what we get from them. What we see from Wii U now, is only the beginning.

It is what it is, fact of the matter is though that third parties are not interested and there is still a significant gap between WiiU and PS4ONE. Also you're completely wrong on the last part.

Thoughts in bold - Overall this reads like a pipe dream and a wishlist. At least you offer some (all be it ridiculous) reasoning, unlike JohnLucas who is talking nonsense and offering nothing.

It amazes me how you guys are defying logic here, in actual fact after reading what you guys have said I can't believe either of you are serious :P

Nintendo will do well with their core base this holiday, but outside of that nobody is interested. The casuals noticed the Wii from the start, and they didn't buy in because of Zelda and Donkey Kong (are you frigging kidding me?) they bought it because it was accessible, fresh and the IT product of its time. It's laughable you just expect this thing to be a mega hit out of the blue because of Nintendo franchises (that never even pushed the Wii to the masses, that was Wiifit, Wii Sports ect)

As for gamers overall abandoning Sony and Microsoft, that's a joke in itself it too many ways to count. PS4 and One offer them more or less exactly what they wanted from PS360, whilst WiiU offers them the same as what the Wii did, how and why do you expect them to give up all those franchises to play Nintendo and Ubisoft games??? No Halo, God of War, Forza, Gran Turismo, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Division, Destiny, Titanfall, Fable, LBP, Killzone, Uncharted ect ect ect .....

I'll be back in January to see what you guys make of the holiday sales (which will disappoint you)

Even a significant price drop and games for the 3DS never pushed it hard in the US 540k in November 2012 and 1.2m in December. On the back of an $80 price cut and a slew of games, all whilst selling on average 4 times better monthly than WiiU before its price cut. Sales continue to disappoint there, (yes they will pick up with Pokemon).

WiiU has to sell 6m+ for these insane predictions to come true by the end of the year, when US is its strongest market, and the drastic 3DS intervention failed to give it more than 1.6m in the US in the holiday season, why are you guys expecting something like 3m+ in the US this holiday? Probably more, given Europe is Nintendos weakest market (by a margin) right now and home consoles never do millions over the holiday period in Japan.

Lucas your prediction is even more ludicrus, 12m by end of the year, that's 8m+ ...

Around the Network

Lucas your prediction is even more ludicrus, 12m by end of the year, that's 8m+ ...

The real power of John Lucas is to inspire people to actually make VGChartz accounts so they can post in this thread;)

Michael Pachter, the infamous analyst of Wedbush have predicted WiiU to reach 8,5 mill by this calendar year, despite its awful 1st quarter sales. At the same time, he predicted 3DS sales to be ridiculous this holiday. Either way, Nintendo as a whole will be fine. What happens in 2014? God knows.

Incubi said:

The real power of John Lucas is to inspire people to actually make VGChartz accounts so they can post in this thread;)

Michael Pachter, the infamous analyst of Wedbush have predicted WiiU to reach 8,5 mill by this calendar year, despite its awful 1st quarter sales. At the same time, he predicted 3DS sales to be ridiculous this holiday. Either way, Nintendo as a whole will be fine. What happens in 2014? God knows.

Yeah I agree, Ninty will be fine. Pachter predicted 8.5m? That's actually a solid prediction! If a little high.

JohannStrauss said:
i am truly amazed by your words on this thread John, i was deeply convinced to acquire a Wii U after reading your thread and that's what i did and the moment i've started playing NSMBU on the gamepad i realized: man...Nintendo has some serious weapon to fight this generation.

This isnt much but you just brought back an old Nintendo fan back to its roots and im here to stay with Nintendo till the end.

WOW!

Thank you for your kind words, Johann!
That's amazing!

Very honored that what I had to say resonated with you that way.
You were inspired by the same energy that had me writing this thread.
The same energy that woke me up all at once when the XBox One had its E3 2013 presentation.

The press & the uninitiated public will be floored once Wii U makes the turnaround like the 3DS.
So many doubters on this board but both me & you know what's happening, don't we.
Both me & you know what potential is just waiting to burst out of the Wii U, don't we.

Lightning's gonna strike twice & some people are just not ready for it. I'm trying to prepare them.
Don't want 'em to go into shock.

Very happy that my writings inspired you to buy the Wii U.
Nintendo is a good company. A VERY good company. The BEST company.
Not enough people appreciate what they do & that's a tragedy.
But somehow I know that more of Nintendo's overdue appreciation will be accounted for in the next few years.
This generation everybody's coming home to Nintendo.
John Lucas

johnlucas said:
richardhutnik said:
If one wants to mention the Wii here, it tailing off was an decent part due to it being underpowered. When you don't have sufficient power, and development goes on, your console can't keep up. That is what happened to the Wii, and the Wii U is at risk of similar happening.

PS2 was underpowered compared to the Gamecube & XBox.

Not only did it dominate them on the sales charts it sold for 12 years on the retail shelves.
Try another argument.

Wii stopped selling because Nintendo stopped making games for it. That simple.
How hard is it for people to understand that it's not power that sells systems? ESPECIALLY now.
Is it some kind of recurrent amnesia that strikes with the coming of each generation?

Vita's a PS3 in your hands. Much stronger than the Gamecube-to-Wii powered 3DS.
How come it's not dominating the 3DS?
John Lucas

P.S.: Seriously this power power argument needs to die. History proves it wrong again & again.

Yes, you are right here.  The PS3 and 360 will keep outselling the Wii U, because they have much larger libraries, are cheaper, and you really can't tell the difference between the WiiU and current gen stuff anyhow.  Power doesn't matter at all.  Hey, you are right!  Or, hey, do you want to argue power matters, JUST ENOUGH, so that the Wii U has a reason for people to buy it.

I wonder what johnlucas predicts the WiiU would sell, assuming that the PS4 and ONE don't just up and vanish from the market, leaving Nintendo alone.