By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

johnlucas said:

OK. Before 2013 ends, I want to address the bulletpoints Mummelmann made after my mega-sized rebuttal.
He wrote these bulletpoints on December 16, 2013 & I'm going to address his bulletpoints using his own words to prove my point.
As 2014 begins I'll deal with the series of posts he made afterwards.

Mummelmann:
* John Lucas is attempting to box in the argument and force me to argue on his conditions by trying to force the parameters through "banning" certain words and definitions from the debate, elevating himself by stating his superiority without ever presenting why he is actually superior. Textbook so far.

Me:
No, I responded to the words you used & argued each topic ELABORATELY point by point, line by line.
I argued from YOUR framework. I argued in the terms YOU set. I countered your arguments on your terms.
That's why you see me put your actual quotes in their entirety throughout that oversized so there could be no mistaking of me taking your words out of context.
Each topic heading came off of a point you were making or a certain string of words you said.

When you said, "A lot of people are claiming that Nintendo make such amazing 1st party games that 3rd parties wouldn’t be able to compete, that is hardly a nice environment to publish on..."
I refuted that showing the past of Nintendo promoting 3rd party games in Nintendo Power, showing them promote a 3rd party game Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei IV in a Club Nintendo deal.
You conflated Sony's & Microsoft's practice of letting the 3rd party do practically whatever they want with Nintendo providing a bad environment for the 3rd parties to develop on. I disagreed with that conflation.
I argued that Nintendo's standards made the 3rd parties a better game developer in the first place which shows how their 3rd party games once stood as equals to Nintendo's 1st party.
I argued that Nintendo creates platforms of lasting value that the 3rds refused to help cultivate yet still want all the rewards for minimal effort.
I argued that the 3rd party's practices outside of the influence of Nintendo resulted in the situation some of their games experience on Nintendo platforms.
That it's not the environment Nintendo provides but the attitude the 3rd parties take to Nintendo platforms that give them those particular results.
Yet if they fail miserably on a Microsoft or Sony platform they are willing to keep plugging away while still giving Nintendo little to no consideration.

I saw the conditions your arguments took & I argued within that structure. Within YOUR parameters.
That's why this took so long to put together. I had to keep it on-topic & in your structure.

Mummelmann:
* John Lucas doesn't "believe" in architectural variables, some resulting in varying degrees of ease or difficulty in development.

Me:
The hardware argument is tired. These are all machines & you can get a machine to do what you need it to do.
Each console is designed differently by default. That is nothing new.
You can't count the power of a console by components alone. It is the INTERPLAY of those components that matter.
If you focus on CPUs or focus on RAM, you miss the point that each different design may be able to achieve similar effects in different ways.
One may move information faster through its pipelines while another creates a broader street for more information to pass through.
Some use raw power, some use specific structure optimized for efficiency.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. More than one way to skin a cat.

There's architectural variables & there's money to be made.
"Hard to develop for" is an excuse. If the opportunity was ripe, they will DEAL with those hardships because of the potential returns.
It MUST have been hard to make the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat to look comparable to the SNES version.
I mean Super Nintendo could put out 32,768 colors while Genesis could only put out 512.
Somehow they made it work, didn't they? Not QUITE as robust as the SNES version but very comparable even with all of that limitation.
It was hard to make NES versions of arcade games like Double Dragon feel as close to the arcades as possible.
Somehow they did it. They were different but similar enough to get their point across.
It was DAMN sure hard to translate arcades of early 80s to the Atari 2600, Mattel Intellivision, & the Colecovision.
Somehow they persevered & made something approaching those arcade classics.
Shoot it was hard to make CHESS work on the Atari 2600! Thought to be impossible! Somehow it was done.

Read this excerpt from Wikipedia about Atari 2600's Video Chess.

"At first, the idea of chess on the Atari 2600 was considered to be impossible due to the limitations of the technology at the time. For example, Atari had to overcome sprite limitations; the Atari 2600 was only capable of displaying three sprites in a row, or six (such as in Space Invaders) with the right programming. The eight-piece-wide standard chess board exceeded this limitation. To rectify this, Bob Whitehead developed a technique known as "Venetian blinds" where the position of each sprite changes every scan line; this allows for eight or more sprites in a row.[1] Additionally, the concept of bank switching ROMs was invented for earlier prototypes of Video Chess that were larger than four kilobytes in size, however the released version ended up fitting the standard 4K size.[2]"

Developers had heart once upon a time. Limitations used to be a challenge to make it work DESPITE the supposed impossibilities.
Where there's a will, there's a way. There ARE limits but I guarantee those developers didn't even approach those limits with Wii.
They weren't trying to. Instead they made excuses instead of becoming a part of a massive money-making opportunity.
That's why they have to layoff so many folks & go bankrupt.
Wii U has a VERY easy architecture to create games on yet you still don't see many of the 3rd party publishers/developers flocking to it.
It has nothing to do with "easy or hard to develop for". It has always been politics.

Mummelmann:
* He doesn't "believe" in demographics.

Me:
No, I just don't believe "casual" & "hardcore" are accurate terms to describe those demographics.
When I pointed out the categories of Nintendo eShop's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide on Wii U saying "kids", "teens", "grown-up kids", "family" that shows Nintendo's take on demographics.
I ALSO pointed out that Nintendo tries to serve multiple demographics all at one time which is why I said they make games for EVERYBODY.
It's smart market sense anyway since you are multiplying instead of dividing your audience.
Big Brain Academy at first glance may look like just a game for schoolkids but its difficulty rises & falls dynamically based on your ability.
It can get VERY hard for adults in short time yet can stay easy enough for a kid to play just the same.
Many of their games are like this that's why you rarely see difficulty options on Nintendo games.

I maintain that those who keep looking at the business with the lens of "hardcore vs. casual" will NEVER understand how the business really works.
KungKras recently posted a link to an article debunking this foolish division in a thread titled
The origin of "casual/hardcore gamers" and other industry bullshit

The article linked in the thread is called Why Marketers Fear The Female Geek written by anjinanhut.
She shows how marketing tries to make male & female products over things that are not necessarily male or female.
Shows marketers making artificial divisions & creating a false reality, an illusion of difference that is not necessarily there.
Both men & women use soap & shampoo but now we got Dove for Men & Herbal Essences with women having orgasms from washing their hair.

There are just gamers. Some gamers are sports gamers. Some gamers are RPG gamers. Some gamers play a little of everything.
Girl gamers don't necessarily play Style Savvy & fashion games. Guy gamers don't necessarily shy away from Cooking Mama.
Some girls like to play Madden & First-Person Shooters. Some guys like dating sims. It's all over the board.
But if you make it like Guy gamers play this & Girl gamers play that, that's when you fail to see the real demographics.
Demographics exist but Casual & Hardcore are not demographics. They're BS marketing divisions.

Mummelmann:
* He refuses to take a proper stance on a couple ethics questions and instead dances around the subject and deviates into long-winded philosophy which doesn't pertain to the matter in any meaningful way.

Me:
What ethics? Whose ethics?
If you're talking about Nintendo in the 1980s with the NES, yeah I dismissed that whole thing about the big bad evil Nintendo.
Before I thought in depth of it, I used to buy a little bit of that argument. When you look at it further it doesn't hold up.
You go into a place of business there are going to be certain standards you must abide before entering.
No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service is one of them. Nintendo set their standards because they were trying to revive an industry.
The 3rd parties don't make platforms, they just supply platform makers. That's their role.
The NES wasn't the only platform in town. There was something in Japan you might have heard of called the MSX (the Microsoft Sony X).
PC platforms & other console makers were around. And they weren't minor league players either.
Nintendo didn't kidnap these 3rd parties. They joined Nintendo willingly & thus accepted Nintendo's standards.
One refused & instead of complaining they made their own platform with NEC. That company was Hudson Soft.

It's the same thing when a performer signs up with a record company or a venue.
There's a contract written up to commit the performer to the company or the venue to ensure that the company or venue get return on their investment.
I use Motown's equipment to make my album then I walk out on Motown trying to have DefJam profit from my Motown-produced product.
I agree to perform on these dates in Caesar's Palace. Then on the dates I'm supposed to perform I suddenly go to Radio City Music Hall & perform there.
Nintendo says you're using my platform, my development tools, you're gonna perform exclusively for my platform with only 5 games a year.
It is then up to the 3rd party to agree or disagree with those terms.
If they disagree, go to the many other platforms available & make a stand there.
But since Nintendo created such a hot opportunity, you didn't see the 3rd parties try to go anywhere else.
When Sega challenged Nintendo greatly in the Mega Drive/Genesis era & they had another hot platform to work with, they STILL worked with Nintendo.
I showed a 3rd party who turned into a 2nd party named Rareware whose former staff look back on their Nintendo days fondly.
Hardly sounds like a big bad evil company to me.

We got a company who tried to do away with game ownership/trade/resale with the XBox One & you're so down on a company that tried their damndest to restore customer & retailer confidence in the whole videogame business. Who tried to restore Quality to the business.
Nintendo WAS controlling. And it's EXACTLY that control which allowed you to even have a videogame business today.
Once again, you're welcome.

Mummelmann:
* He links a bunch of unrelated youtube content to undeline opposing arguments to arguments I never made (the commercial bit is the main culprit here).

Me:
Do you even remember what you write, man?
Here's a reminder of what you wrote:

"Look at their advertising over the past three decades; where companies like Sony and Microsoft and independents often focus on effects, visuals, sound and other, perhaps superficial things, they choose to focus the presentation on the product.

Nintendo have a long history of panning shots where they show ecstatic kids playing games, this isn’t because they have such immense heart and love your smile more than others, it is simply a marketing ploy to draw in young customers, they focus on the implicit euphoria of owning Nintendo products, instilling a sense of “can’t miss this, kiddo!” rather than focusing on the product."

You just made a giant spiel contrasting Sony's & Microsoft's advertising with Nintendo's.
You pretty much said that Nintendo is manipulating the viewers by showing the reactions of people.
Pretty much implied that these types of commercials & ads are disingenuous of Nintendo.

So what do I do? I once again argue in your framework & dismantle it.
You said that Sony & Microsoft focus on effects, visuals, sound, & product.
You said that Nintendo focuses on ecstatic kids, implicit euphoria WITHOUT focusing on the product.
I AGREED & said that it was a SUPERIOR way to deliver their products. That it was a more GENUINE way.
I used your very own words to hang you with. Sony & Microsoft focus on product, effects, visuals, sound AKA Technology.
Nintendo focuses on kids' ecstasy & euphoria AKA People & Emotions.
I showed numerous examples of Nintendo commercials showcasing this reality.
I underlined the whole thing showing that it reflects the philosophy of their entire console & game design.
That tech is a MEANS to an end not THE END as it is with Sony & Microsoft.

Two companies started out in tech fields & naturally reflect their origins.
Another company started out in play fields & naturally reflect their origins.
Nintendo has always been a PLAY company from day one making those hanafuda cards.
That's why they were able to naturally transition into toys (another PLAY field) & videogames (another PLAY field) while they couldn't transition into instant noodles, taxi service, vacuum cleaners, & love hotels (love hotels is a SEXUAL PLAY similar but not quite the same).

Cards, toys, & games is what Nintendo is all about. That's why they were so stubborn with the cartridge format (CARD-tridge) for the Nintendo 64.
They still have game cards & SD cards in their home consoles & handhelds.
Wii U has a initial setup screen asking to tap icons of Spades, Hearts, Clubs, & Diamonds.
New Super Mario Bros. U's Boost Mode has you summon platforms adorned with Spades, Hearts, Club, & Diamonds.
The Nintendo DS released a game called Master of Illusion complete with a deck of actual Nintendo playing cards.
They give away playing cards on Club Nintendo—Western & Hanafuda styles.
Wii Music is more like a musical toy than a game. And so is Electroplankton. So are certain extras in the WarioWare games.
Nintendo licenses plushies & LEGOs of its characters to be released in the toy aisle. There's even a Super Mario Chess set.
Even the way Nintendo conducts business & delivers conferences is playful.
They hold their cards close to chest just like an experienced card player & dazzle you like a magician showing you card tricks.

They USE tech to deliver card, toy, & game. They don't use game to deliver tech, effects, visuals, & sound.
When you play with cards or toys or games it is ALWAYS a social experience. A people-focused experience.
The interplay between peoples. So it's no surprise why Nintendo is focused more on people than their tech.
And that's what makes them successful in the end. That's why they are not in awe of their tech.
They only see it as a way to deliver more fun, more PLAY to PEOPLE.

And to show that this intention IS genuine (as if their conduct doesn't already show it) & that the results ARE genuine, I punchline the topic with the N64 Kids hollering ecstatically euphorically over the Nintendo 64.
That's a real video. That's a real reaction. And that's why Nintendo will always remain the leader of the business.
Somehow they have the ability to make these mundane machines feel like more than machines.
That takes a certain kind of magic. Something is genuine there & that's why you see people proudly wearing NES controllers on their T-shirts today.

Mummelmann:
* Due to my harsh language, I've made him all but come out and expose his Messiah complex, it's actually scary to witness.

Me:
Messiah complex? No, what you're doing is trying to make a caricature out of me to dismiss what I have to say.
I ran down every single one of your points line by line in VERY elaborate fashion & you have no valid answer to my comments.
I argued in your framework & defeated your arguments in excruciating detail.
All of your comments lately have run on the mentality "Due to my superior ability & master mind, I have made him come out, I have made him do this & do that".
That sounds like a God complex to me. As if you're the puppeteer with the puppet on a string.
The Chessmaster moving your pawns.

The truth is you have to resort to these tactics because your arguments have run out.
You can't attack the message so you attack the messenger.
Have fun with your caricature but when you're done with playing with that, you can rejoin me in debating the topics at hand.

Mummelmann:
* He thinks, apparently in all sincerity, that everyone should have the same taste in gaming as him, including me, a staggering show of incredible elitism.

Me:
Hmm. The following are words from Mummelmann.

"Now, as for me? Do I love all this? No! I hate the idea that Hollywood is the primary inspiration for games, I hate QTE’s, hand-holding, ridiculous AI and other bullshit and I consider phone and tablet gaming nothing but cancer on the industry, pulling quality down along with the Hollywood model."

Phone & tablet gaming is a cancer on the industry, Mummelmann says. But he calls me an elitist.
This is what I said about mobile gaming & other platforms in general.

"I don't necessarily hate the mobile platform & I am always open to any avenue a developer can have to express his/her vision.
The open-ended nature of mobile DOES tend to pack a lot of trash on this platform but it's not all bad.
There are good games on the smartphones & tablets. There are good games on the PC.
There are good games on the PlayStations & XBoxes.
What I'm concerned about is the EXCLUSION of Nintendo from the discussion."

Which one of those statements sounds elitist & sounds like everyone should have the same taste?
I also said this in another topic later in that rebuttal.

"The one who plays Candy Crush Saga is JUST as much a gamer as one who plays Mario. Those who play the Facebook games are JUST as much a gamer as those who play World of Warcraft. Those who only play the perennial sports games like Madden & NBA 2K are JUST as much a gamer as those who play indie games.
And because I don't believe in this concept of "Non-Gamer" means that I DIDN'T resent the emergence of the PlayStation when it expanded the scope of gaming. I don't resent the emergence of the smartphones & tablets as a gaming platform. I don't resent the emergence of the browser based games. I don't resent Steam as a platform. I didn't resent Nintendo's Touch Generations titles like Brain Age & Wii Fit when it brought people who never played games to the pastime.
The more gamers the merrier."

Who's elitist now? The guy who calls a Candy Crush Saga gamer as just as legit as a Mario gamer or the guy who says the phone & tablet gaming is a cancer on the industry?
And he takes this statement I made & totally misses the point.

"They ALSO want Nintendo's standards to be the Rule not the Exception. Mummelmann, you should want the same too."

Somehow he reads that as I think he should only play Nintendo games & only like the games I like.
Rockstar follows Nintendo's standards by not putting out games until they make signifcant improvements or advancements instead of banking on the yearly installment deal.
That's why Grand Theft Auto V sold so much so fast.
That's why PS2's Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is #16 on the all-time best-sellers list.
They also do different things & diversify. They put out L.A. Noire, Table Tennis, Manhunt, & Red Dead Redemption.
Rockstar & Nintendo haven't gotten along since the N64 days when they were DMA Design.
Yet Rockstar's quality levels approach Nintendo's levels because follow tenets Nintendo is known for.
I personally believe Rockstar is one of the best & most creative 3rd parties out there.

He complains about a Hollywood-ized industry, I show him the antidote to that, he takes it as if I'm elitist & thinking he should play the same games as me.
Hey, all I can do is show the word history.

Mummelmann:
* He thinks that the development cost of a game is affected either way by how many copies you print... no comment needed there.

Me:
It takes money in every aspect of the game-making, game-shipping, game-stocking, game-selling process.
Why is this such a strange statement? They allocate resources for programmers to build the code, for artists to conceptualize & actualize the figures & backgrounds, for musicians & sound men to deliver the audio, for factories to make copies of the finished product, for warehouses to store these copies, for planes/trains/automobiles to transport these copies over-air/overseas/on-the-road to docks/warehouses/retailers, for marketers to advertise the product & get it to sell.
Money is parceled out for each & every step of this process.
When they develop games, they can share the resources they make in production for each platform assigning this team to make this version for PlayStation, this one for XBox, this one for Nintendo. They can & DO forecast what they believe each console can sell & make shipments accordingly.
That's what Activision did when they made Call of Duty games for the DS. They assigned a team to create a DS version & allocated the amount of stock they believed would best sell for that platform.
All of this is under production costs.

People in the food business, in the clothing business, in the soap business, in ANY business do the very same things.
They may allocate 300,000 of a product to one retailer in a Southern region while allocating 1,000,000 of a product to the same retailer in a Northeastern region.
They may allocate 10,000 to this store while allocating 200,000 to another store.
They have metrics that figure out what sells which in which retailer, which region, which season.
But you notice that the smartest businesses make sure there's at least some of their stock in EVERY store.
Frito-Lay doesn't just ship their Doritos to Wal-Mart. They make sure their Doritos are seen in every store they can put it.
Some people don't go to Wal-Mart, some people don't go to Kroger's but no matter where they go they can get some Doritos.
It's in a company's best interests not to arbitrarily deny a retailer/platform for trivial matters.

While a Wii U version of a particular game may not be the best-selling of the versions, you GUARANTEE not to get any business by not putting the game on the platform at all.
And after awhile if you keep not stocking your product in Nintendo's stores, those Nintendo customers will just buy other products & get used to them.
Instead of Doritos, they'll get used to Taco Flacos. You'll be locking yourself out of a hot market.
If it sells weaker on a Nintendo platform, just publish a smaller amount of stock where it can sell through.
Who knows the shorter supply may increase demand where you can publish more. Won't know if you don't try.

Mummelmann:
* He gives me a proper new-age psych evaluation, in which he concludes that I am traumatized and depressed.

Me:
You sounded cynical so I addressed your cynicism.
You make a stereotype of business as nothing more than greedy money-grubbers.
You make it sound like a company who exchanges money for a product can't have any other motivation than that.
There ARE a lot of businesses like that but every business is not like that.

The following is the some of the most cynical garbage I have ever heard.

"Then there’s this notion of a Nintendo that is somehow more relevant, loving and caring than others, they have the only true passion for games and gaming. Why? Because they have different art direction? All other companies are just evil bastards who don’t like anything but your money and they’re too dense to see that they’re ruining the industry because Nintendo are the only ones who understand “what’s really going on”.

Nintendo are, believe it or not, a company with investors, they love to pocket your change as much as the next company, a change in color-palette doesn’t change that.

Which is more ethical? Don’t think for one second that Nintendo are some benign saint who swooped down to earth so that grandma and her cancerous grandkid could enjoy gaming together, laughing and living it up like a fairytale; they want grandma’s money and they want the cancer-kid money (offended? I’m making a point), they want everyone’s money like everyone else does, they’re running a business!"

I'm tired of that 'hip cynic' crap. People put that mess up as a shield.
It's safer to think the world is all dog-eat-dog than to think that genuine actions still exist in the world.
And they don't wanna take the chance on making a mistake so they hide behind the shield of cynicism. It's cowardly.

Nintendo's actions over the decades have proven they care about more than just the dollar, the yen, the euro.
There's no incentive to create a physically-durable lasting piece of hardware when people are buying multiple XBox 360s over & over after they break.
Any heartless company that you're proposing Nintendo to be would stop giving a damn & do exactly what Microsoft gets rewarded on doing.
When people pay for online like with XBox Live why in the hell would Nintendo insist on a free service like the Nintendo Network?
They were thinking about changing to a paid model. Seems they weren't appreciated for keeping it free.
In the end, they said no, it's free.

Nintendo is a company with integrity. These kind of businesses still exist as hard as it is for you to believe.
With no valid challengers in the handheld realm, it would be easy for Nintendo to artificially jack up the prices.
Nope, even with the GBA prices remained fair. Mass market as always.
Just because an entity get money doesn't make them phony, doesn't make them heartless.
I showed countless examples of famous & unfamous people doing a job, getting paid for it, but enjoying the job BEYOND the paycheck.
The honest truth is Nintendo gives us a bargain. The best developer in the world selling their high quality works for a low price.
You pay big for Bose speakers. You pay big for Beats Audio by Dr. Dre. You pay big for Corvettes, Lamborghinis, & Testarossas.
You pay big for Rolls-Royces. You pay big to stay in Trump Hotel. Cashmere costs & so does silk.
Diamonds don't come cheap.
Any big-name designer is charging top dollar for their clothes. Living costs in Beverly Hills & Manhattan is too rich for you.
Yet Nintendo, the premiere name in gaming, gives you all that level of quality for a price most people can afford.

They give a damn & it shows. I'm man enough to recognize it. I'm man enough to celebrate it.
I don't need to hide behind the Cynic's Shield.

Mummelmann:
* He backs up his mostly philosophical arguments with obviously made-up and anecdotal "conversion" stories, including ones about himself and even states that I will soon convert.

Me:
I showed the link to Metallicube's post. It's right there.
At last, Nintendo (and Best Buy) have convinced this veteran cynical Nintendo fan to cave in and pick up a Wii U. My impressions.

You can't dance around that. It's not made-up. He's right there. Talk to him.
And as for me. Whether you want to believe it or not, I wasn't always in line with Nintendo's direction with Wii U.
I mention that from the very first post in this thread.
I exampled my gaming history for you to SHOW you how wrong you were.
You're too busy making a caricature of me instead of dealing with the real person.
You said I hated PlayStation's emergence in the mid-1990s. No, I didn't & I detailed my history showing this.

I look at your signature & how you have not changed it.
While the hecklers are lambasting me about the 12 million call, I see you have 11.5 million in your year-end prediction.
Virtually the same number & you're holding it until the end just like I'm doing.
I'm gonna find it funny in a few years to see many of the people who ran down Wii U start championing it in the coming years.
Yeah & I'm predicting you're gonna be one of them, Mummelmann. Doggone right.
Right now you're just an antagonist for antagonist's sake. You just wanna argue for the sake of arguing.
You said it yourself either on somebody's wall or somewhere in this thread.
This is just a show from you & I see right through it.

Just like many crowed doom & gloom for the 3DS & then changed their tune as the library built up, the same will happen for the Wii U.
Very predictable. People are fickle. That's a truth about humanity. Very few stick by their words indefinitely.
I know this console is capable of greatness & it will example that throughout this generation.
One by one the naysayers will relent & they will begin to appreciate what Nintendo is doing with Wii U.
Just a matter of time.

Mummelmann:
* He goes on a long rant on why he didn't post here for a few years, constructing a saintly persona from a low-ish background that has defeated the odds all the while deflecting how someone doesn't have any time at all to write a single word on a forum they used to love despite working mostly on the internet. Basically, he's making himself a Nintendo personified, or Jesus if you will.

Me:
Since you seemed to have trouble believing that people get busy & don't have time to post on a VGChartz forum (as if that's the most important thing to do in life) I detailed the entire history not necessarily for you but for all of those who may have wondered why I drifted off from the site.
It was also for the readers to get a sense of who I am, where I come from, & how this shapes my views.
Definitely shows you that I was not running away from the VGChartz forum.
It was cathartic to get that out anyway. Been on my chest for awhile.
Keep on making the silly caricatures, Mummelmann. Perhaps you're not able to deal with realities of a situation & prefer to take comfort in abstractions.

Mummelmann:
* He believes that Nintendo are the ones who set the standard in the industry, but he also says that everyone else refuses to follow this standard, inevitably making it not a standard by the very definition of the word (this is just one contradiction but among the worst of the bunch).

Me:
Yep, Nintendo's always the standard maker. Sega did its BEST when it was trying to match Nintendo or beat Nintendo at its own game.
That's why Sonic was so good. That's why Sonic Colors was so good. That's why Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is Sega's best-selling game ever.
Those who refuse to follow that standard lose billions, layoff staff, & go bankrupt.
How many times do i have to tell you that Nintendo designed this business out of the ashes of the Crash?
Yeah you may make the mistake of seeing 2 out of 3 console platform makers do things a certain way & see that as the standard.
Quantity & Quality are two different things. It only takes one to set the standard.
Everything Nintendo does eventually gets co-opted by their competition.
They may go wayward for awhile but in the end they follow the leader.

That's why Sony changed their Walkman for 21st Century approach for the PSP into Long Live Game with Kevin Butler.
That's why you got Kudo Tsunoda out there getting that little girl giggling at Skittles at the E3 2010 Kinectimals display (Nintendogs?).
The PS4 isn't pushing a new media format like every single PlayStation before it & they're half-and-half on whether to promote graphics or not.
"The time when horsepower alone made an important difference is over??"
We got Microsoft making Kinect mandatory for the XBox One much like Nintendo made the Wiimote mandatory for the Wii.
Kinect Sports to answer Wii Sports. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale to answer Super Smash Bros.
The examples are too numerous to list. I'll be here all day. The controllers they use are another example.
Nintendo's imprint all over that & so much more.

Mummelmann:
* He still has no explanation for how developers will save money  making games for a HD console (with a similar CPU structure to the 360 and PS3) and seems to believe that lower power consumption in chipsets means that the price of developing textures and other visual bits for them is lower. Yeah.

Me:
It's HOW things are done, Mummelmann. The only thing Nintendo's losing is time. They underestimated the time of development which is costing them in the short term. But as the games come out it corrects itself.
Wii U won't break developer's bank to produce for it.
Mummelmann forgets about all the free middleware tools Nintendo offers including Unity.
The way they design their console & the way they implement game production on those machines will make it a more affordable choice.

Oh here's word from a major publisher/developer. Some company out of France, you might have heard of them.
I think they make those wascally wabbit games starring Raymond.
Developing for the Wii U has been surprisingly inexpensive for Ubisoft
Excerpt:

You'd think becoming the leading third party publisher for Nintendo's Wii U console would be expensive, but according to Ubisoft's CEO Yves Guillemot, the company has not invested much money in R&D for it.

Speaking to investors, Guillemot revealed just how cheap - relatively - it is to develop new games for the console. Console ports are even less, he added.

"Out of seven games we are planning to launch, five games are ports, so those are games for which there is quite small reinvestments to do," Guillemot told investors (via NeoGAF).

Guillemot did note that the two original Wii U titles, ZombiU and Rayman Legends, are the most expensive to develop, but that the investment is still significantly less than that of some of their other multiplatform franchises, like Assassin's Creed - which also happens to be one of the titles being ported to the Wii U.

Rather than big production value, Guillemot shared Ubisoft's strategy for innovation with the Wii U.

"Because as we've always said when there is such an innovation the need is not to have big production value but to concentrate on the innovation. This is what we are trying on Rayman and ZombiU."

"For the other five games, you are talking about small budget, I'd say of less than a million euro to make some of the ports, I'd estimate," he concluded. "So together I don't think we have a huge investment on the Wii U."

...Anything else you would like to add, Mummelmann?

Mummelmann:
* He has forgotten that the Gamecube and N64 was pretty much irrelevant and maintains that Nintendo has carried the industry since they started and to this day.

Me:
So irrelevant that their game & console design has shaped the other competitors immeasurably.
The analog stick, rumble, & 3D-space gaming, console-born FPS, popularizing 4-controllers per console, Wavebird's wirelessness.
I mean there's a mobile game called Oceanhorn right now which is pretty much Zelda: Wind Waker from the Gamecube.
Reality is reality. Deal with it. Accept it. Nintendo shapes the industry. Nintendo's the root of the industry.
Facts are facts. The truth is the truth. And it will set you free.

This guy goes on & on with nonsense so I'm gonna just cut it off right here & deal with his full rebuttal in the new year.
One more thing...

On January 27, 2013, on my wall is a post from Mummelmann himself saying the following.

You should have a comeback, the forums miss you. I might not have agreed with a lot of things you said but thoroughly enjoyed your long and articulate posts, those kind of things are few and far inbetween in here now, we had some good times in '08 and '09. Come back, man!

All I can say to that is be careful what you wish for.
I'M BACK.

Happy New Year everybody!
John Lucas

A few questions:

Why doesn't Nintendo have cross buy yet?

and why does Nintendo's internal micromanaging makes their decision making process slower?

Alot of great trivia I did not know in this post. Very refreshing from the usual doom n gloom and cult nonsense. MOAR plz!

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Around the Network
Dv8thwonder said:
Fusioncode said:

One guy even referred to him as a messiah. 

One "follower" does not equal a cult. Why are you purposely derailing the thread. Do we need mod intervention?

On topic: 7.5m to 8m WiiU's sold by March 31st 2014

How does me answering someone's questions count as derailing a thread? And don't threaten me with mod intervention. If you think I need to be modded then report me and move on. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Incubi said:
Seece said:

Of course, how did I miss that?!

What makes it funnier is, it looks like 3DS has had its peak year already.

You say 3DS has looks like it has peaked? We dont know that just yet. It can still be up YOY. To quote me from a post i made in another thread some time ago.

"Looking at 3DS sales on VGC you can observe as follows:

Calendar year: 2011: 13 250 062

Calendar year: 2012: 14 406 901

Calendar year: 2013 so far: 11 900 000

Trends:

Week ending dec 08. 2012:    750 199 I Sales according to VGC: 07. 2013: 666 121

Week ending dec 15. 2012: 1 025 218 I Forecasted sales 14. 2013:     900 000 I Sales according to VGC:   899 915

Week ending dec 22. 2012: 1 241 211 I Forecasted sales 21. 2013: 1 100 000 I Sales according to VGC: 1 078 565

Week ending dec 29. 2012:    725 008 I Forecasted sales 28. 2013:     650 000

So, an estimated sales this calendar year is: 14 550 000"

Update:

Calendar year: 2011: 13 250 062

Calendar year: 2012: 14 406 901

Calendar year: 2013 so far: 13 900 000

Trends:

Week ending dec 08. 2012:    750 199 I Sales according to VGC: 07. 2013: 692 779 (adjusted up by VGC)

Week ending dec 15. 2012: 1 025 218 I Forecasted sales 14. 2013:     900 000 I Sales according to VGC:   899 915

Week ending dec 22. 2012: 1 241 211 I Forecasted sales 21. 2013: 1 100 000 I Sales according to VGC: 1 078 565

Week ending dec 29. 2012:    725 008 I Forecasted sales 28. 2013:     650 000 I Sales according to VGC: ?

It needs to sell more than 550 000  week ending dec 29. 2013. If it sells less than that it will have peaked in 2012. 

If it sells more, you really cant say that it has peaked on a worldwide basis. I wont compare 3DS to DS as that is an unfair comparison, but will instead compare it to GBA. With GBA you can observe how it peaked not the year Pokemon was released, but the following year. So yes, it will have its peak but i'm pretty sure that peak will be in 2014 on a worldwide basis.

And that is the problemt using VGC figures, they're estimates, (which are overtracked). It'll fall short in terms of shipments by 1.5m+.

Dv8thwonder said:
Fusioncode said:

One guy even referred to him as a messiah. 

One "follower" does not equal a cult. Why are you purposely derailing the thread. Do we need mod intervention?

The entire year of 2013 sales will be about 3m give or take a few 100k putting It at about 5.5m. 

u think it will come close to that in just Q1 of next year?

I think next year will be much better than this one was but ur prediction is waaaayyy to extreme.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Dv8thwonder said:

The entire year of 2013 sales will be about 3m give or take a few 100k putting It at about 5.5m. 

I think next year will be much better than this one was but ur prediction is waaaayyy to extreme.

It's reasonable. Especially with Japan numbers improving week over week. NA will follow suit. It is only in the EU that the Wii U faces a rather steep uphill climb.

Around the Network
Dv8thwonder said:
zorg1000 said:
Dv8thwonder said:

It's reasonable. Especially with Japan numbers improving week over week. NA will follow suit. It is only in the EU that the Wii U faces a rather steep uphill climb.

The WiiU is having a holiday boost in Japan, do you really think it can keep those numbers once the holidays end? And why is NA going to "follow suit"? Give me a single reason why the WiiU is going to start improving in the US. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
Dv8thwonder said:
zorg1000 said:
Dv8thwonder said:

The WiiU is having a holiday boost in Japan, do you really think it can keep those numbers once the holidays end? And why is NA going to "follow suit"? Give me a single reason why the WiiU is going to start improving in the US. 

Hilarious isn't it? NA most definitely isn't following suit, and 2 - 3m in Q1 is just too funny for words. Nothing about that prediction is resonable.

Basically expect 1m per region. I can totally seeing WiiU doing 300k~ in the US this January ... when it did 57k last year. Rofl.

Dv8thwonder said:
zorg1000 said:
Dv8thwonder said:

No its not reasonable. Sales will be better than they were last were but to expect it to sell 2-2.5m from Jan-Mar is not reasonable at all.

Oct-Dec included a price cut, new bundles, 3D Mario, Wind Waker, Wii Party, decent 3rd party support, much improved advertising and the holidays which resulted in sales of less than 2 million.

It is absolutely possible that this will result in sustained interest in Wii U and with Donkey Kong in February sales for this quarter should be solid but it is for sure not going to do better than Q4 of 2013

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Fusioncode said:
Dv8thwonder said:

Yes on both accounts. Games and lots of them. Also that upcoming January Nintendo Direct is going to be awesome.

The January Nintendo Direct will make the Wii U reach it's forecasted 9 Million.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake guys! B-E-L-I-V-E

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"