By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

JL, what you addressed isn't really the crux of my comment but I'll respond.

I'm not arguing that Sony doesn't need the PS4 to sell well to recuperate their R&D expenses. I'm saying that Sony will continue to target two separate price markets with the PS3 and PS4 as will Microsoft with the 360 and X1. Gaming consoles are a fairly elastic good. As long as there is a demand for the older, cheaper, consoles and software from a segment more sensitive to price, it makes no sense not to continue selling that product line. These consumers are not likely to buy the newer, more expensive, console just because a cheaper console is no longer available. In general, this strategy isn't much different than the strategy any other technology manufacturing firm uses (e.g. Apple, Samsung, etc.)

Around the Network
Seece said:
DélioPT said:

And how long until they reach those prices?
They would need a serious cut in price to reach those numbers. With PS4 and XB1 coming in losing money, i don`t think MS and Sony want to lose profits on the older consoles.
Don`t forget that for one or two years, developers will keep supporting both consoles. Which means, both won`t be leaving off of their own backlog.

Have no idea who`s buying them. But for 200-300, i doubt it`s the usual low income families market.

360 has had $99 skylander bundles last US black friday. They'll be $129 in no time, like I said 360 hasn't had a cut in 5 years, yet has had 2 redesigns, it's making serious bank.

I`m not aware of promotions for BF as i`m not from America. But here in Europe (Portugal), it`s lowest price is 199€ and sometimes it goes to 149€.
Xbox 360 didn`t have an official price drop here aswell - at least i can`t remember - yet, the price kept coming down with time.

With the money they are making i don`t believe they will apply a 100$ (possibly more) and lose all their profits on the console. Assuming that they profit that much on the console.

I always thought that having high prices when the new consoles were to arrive would harm both MS and Sony. And if you add to that a good support from 3rd parties, we could see exactly that in the near future.

joesampson said:
JL, what you addressed isn't really the crux of my comment but I'll respond.

I'm not arguing that Sony doesn't need the PS4 to sell well to recuperate their R&D expenses. I'm saying that Sony will continue to target two separate price markets with the PS3 and PS4 as will Microsoft with the 360 and X1. Gaming consoles are a fairly elastic good. As long as there is a demand for the older, cheaper, consoles and software from a segment more sensitive to price, it makes no sense not to continue selling that product line. These consumers are not likely to buy the newer, more expensive, console just because a cheaper console is no longer available. In general, this strategy isn't much different than the strategy any other technology manufacturing firm uses (e.g. Apple, Samsung, etc.)

Well the reason I picked a simple aspect of your post to discuss is because you yourself said you had difficulty reading my "walls of text".

I am thorough when debating with someone. Everything can't be adequately said by one word or one sentence answers.

Now the point I'm making is that Sony doesn't have the luxury to do this strategy with the PS4 & PS3.
They need a HIT out of the box with the PS4 & the success of the PS4 will shrink the power of the PS3.
They don't need people holding out on the 7th gen systems. They need as many people to make the jump as possible.
The overlap period cannot be long. They cannot afford another situation like the PS3 & PS2.

See, this kind of thing is part of the reason why the SNES didn't outsell the NES.
The NES overlapped the SNES for a long part of its life & some people didn't make the jump until almost the N64 came out.
SNES was trying to get out of the shadow of the NES & as soon as it did that here comes the 5th gen systems starting with the 3DO & Atari Jaguar.
SNES was fighting to get out of NES' shadow on one end, fighting off the Sega Genesis on another end, & trying not to get crunched in by the coming 5th gen on the other end.

With the overlap of the PS1 on the PS2, this kind of thing didn't matter as much because PS2 was backwards compatible with PS1 games.
AND PS2 took the torch over from PS1 so Sony strung together record successes back to back.

The situation of the PS3 overlapping the PS4 is much different than the NES/SNES situation or the PS1/PS2 situation.
Nintendo is the best developer of all time & had gained massive amounts of money from the NES era.
Their 1st party efforts always come back to them & keep them flush with money.
They could afford the overlap.

Sony had record success from the PS1 giving them cover & then the PS2 picked up the torch & gained record success on its own.
The money was there from the old gen & then the new gen made new money.

Sony doesn't have that money anymore.
Their platforms are not upheld by their 1st party efforts like Nintendo. The 3rd party upholds the PlayStations.
Because of that Sony doesn't get the money flush that Nintendo does.
And PS4 has no backwards compatibility with PS3 so gamers have to choose between the two.
PS3 will end up being the enemy of the PS4 the longer the overlap goes on.

PS4 has to replace the PS3 in order for Sony Computer Entertainment to turn things around.
Vita is not doing it. PS3 is eroding & not bringing in enough money.
PS4 MUST be a BREAKOUT hit & cannot share the spotlight with the PS3 for very long.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Wii was on track to do this before Nintendo withdrew the console support

U keep saying this but Wii sales started dropping 2 years before Nintendo stopped supporting it.

2008-24.2 million sold, peak year

1st Parties-Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Wii Music

3rd Parties-Sonic Unleashed, Call of Duty, Force Unleashed, Boom Blox, De Blob

2009-21.2 million sold, -12% YoY, $50 price cut

1st Parties-Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Fit Plus, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Metroid Prime Trilogy

3rd Parties-Just Dance, Sonic Black Knight, Modern Warfare, Darkside Chronicles, House of the Dead, EA Sports Active

2010-17.3 million, -18% YoY

1st Parties-Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Party, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn, Metroid Other M

3rd Parties-Just Dance 2, Skylanders, Epic Mickey, Monster Hunter Tri, Sonic Colors

It wasnt until 2011 that Nintendo stopped focusing on Wii and even then it had a few big games like Skyward Sword and Return to Dreamland.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

johnlucas said:
They don't need people holding out on the 7th gen systems.
They need as many people to make the jump as possible.The overlap period cannot be long. They cannot afford another situation like the PS3 & PS2.

I still have to disagree with this. I don't see this as people holding out on the 7th gen systems. These are people holding out for less expensive consoles in general. Two years from now someone wanting to play a console but not wanting to spend $300 to $500 for a new system may opt to buy a PS3/360 for $150 and be content picking up GTA V Greatest Hits for $20.

Of course Sony and Microsoft want as many customers making the jump to next generation as possible but until COGS for the new consoles go down and/or software revenues significantly outpace hardware COGS, they won't be able to address more price elastic customers. If you consider the fact that PS3 and 360 will from here on out will be pratically self sustainable for these customers with their huge libraries of physical and digital software, these consoles end up being cash cows for a few years.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
johnlucas said:

You have reading comprehension problems.
I'll repost this excerpt here. Absorb its meaning.
PlayStation division posts losses, PS3, Vita sales lower than expected

The firm had originally forecast combined PS3/PS2 sales of 10 million for the entire year, but has so far only managed to shift 1.1 million.

Likewise, Sony has forecast 5 million Vita sales, but only managed to sell 600,000 in the three-month period ending June 30.

They're not gonna make it, brother.
I have been seeing the 360 at that same 78 million mark forever now.
Sony expected 10 million. They only got 1 million.

The 7th gen is declining. It's eroding. It's almost over.
Each passing year weakens the ability for the console to sell.

My "terrrrible" prediction of 240 million Wii lifetime sales minimum only failed because Nintendo MADE it fail.
They withdrew the console in its prime. They passed its power onto its successor who will capture that 240 million number.

Have any of my predictions come true?
How do you think I got this following here at VGChartz?
I detailed it at the opening post of this very thread.

I made my first post here on March 14, 2007 & immediately laughed off the popular opinion that Wii wouldn't beat the XBox 360 that year of 2007.
Not only did I say that Wii would beat the 360, I said it would beat the 360 within the SUMMER.
Not only did I say that but I ALSO said that Wii would sell 20 million worldwide by the end of 2007.

I was right on both counts.

Press Release: Nintendo Wii is market leader in home console business
Wow, that was fast: Wii outsells Xbox 360
Excerpt:

The report is based on sales figures from Enterbrain in Japan, NPD Group in the US and GfK of Germany, which tracks European sales. Sales figures from each console's launch date through the end of July (and the end of August in Japan) were added up, with the Wii just barely edging out the 360: 9 million for the Wii, 8.9 million for the 360, and 3.7 million for the PlayStation 3.

Nintendo: Wii at 20M, profits up by 96%
Nintendo Revises Forecasts/DS+Wii Sales News
Excerpt:

For the nine-month period ended December 31st 2007, Nintendo saw sales of the DS achieve 24.5 million units, leading to 64.79 million units for the handheld to-date. Worldwide Wii sales for the period achieved 14.29 million units, helping it to exceed 20 million since launch.

All this was said right in my very first post. And I said it in MARCH of 2007 when this wasn't so obvious to see.
Here's a recap just for you, Seece's Pieces.

johnlucas said at the very beginning of this thread:

A poster named PS4 had just made a post called "Worldwide Wii sales are now only 4 million behind Xbox 360 - closing the gap".
I had been lurking around the place for awhile looking for a good place to talk about videogame sales (this was much better than NextGenWars.com!).
After listening to so many folks doubting Wii's ability to surpass the XBox 360, I finally decide to say my piece:

"I'm laughing at all the posts that say Wii can't beat XBox 360 this year. LAUGHING! Have you people been paying attention to these charts? If VGCharts.org's figures are correct, Wii is gonna pass XBox 360 within the SUMMER! YES! They will surpass XBox 360 by the summer. XBox 360 has been at that 9 million mark for a while now while Wii seems to move a million a month!...

...In fact Wii has been underestimated on every level & THAT will be the mistake that will haunt the competition & the naysayers. It was played that way on purpose and we are seeing the results on the sales charts. I mean once Super Mario Galaxy comes out this holiday season & Nintendo unveils their full online playable titles we will be seeing NEW shortages & sellouts that will make Wii's representation on the charts baffling dumbfounding to disbelief! I predict by end of year we'll be seeing Wii be on its way to that 20 million mark probably even passed that. That is not hyperbole. Half a year they sell 10 million so why do you think the other half they can't sell 10 million? You know holiday sales give a little more oomph than rest of year, right?"

INSTANTLY this bold proclamation was challenged by a poster named The Source & I UNDERLINE my statement even further:

"Well that's what I'm proposing. I see Wii besting the 360 within the month of July. By August We will see Wii pulling ahead...

...But I guarantee you that we won't have to wait 'til fall to see Wii catching the 360. It will be the worldwide leader this summer I guarantee you. By holiday season will be start of its domination period which will carry it all the way through this generation as top system. By then it's not just gonna outsell the competition it's gonna overshadow the competition. You'll be seeing me on these boards, trust me. Just wait and see what the numbers say to see if I'm full of hot air or some other type of 'substance'. I call it for July. That's when we'll see Wii catch the 360. I call it for 20 million at Dec 31, 2007. That's the worldwide tally of sales for Wii. We'll just have to see if I'm right. I don't play the caution game when I see a sure thing. I don't like hedging bets. I'm very confident in my predictions."

John Lucas

You got internet famous off of the back of a fortunate Wii prediction that panned out.  Since then I've seen you make all kinds of ludicrous predictions about Nintendo taking over the world and doom and gloom for Playstation.  That Popzara article where you argued about PS3 dying off any time now back in 2009 or so is still one of the most embarassing things I've seen VGC publish.  So, out of curiosity, have you been right about a Sony based prediction ever?  And what's your record like for Nintendo ever since that one prediction that people love you for?  

Even if you end up right on this one, you shouldn't be lauded because you based it on a bunch of semi-religious ferver bullshit that shouldn't be rewarded instead of logic.  It's honestly quite disturbing to read.  

Well I'm glad you said it!!!!! That's entirely what it comes across as, blind baseless faith.

Wii hit the grounding RUNNING, it was pretty damn obvious it was going to be a success.

nin10do said:
4.5-5.5 million
35-37 million
1-1.3 billion

Ouch. Looks like you overshot the mark (as did Lucas and Zero)

WiiU shipping 300k means it's still UNDER 4m lifetime for its first 4 quarters.

3DS under 35m too, but barely. Down YoY is worrying for sure.

Final-Fan said:
Seece said:
Final-Fan said:
Seece said:

lol indeed this is all very silly. I don't think PS360 owners would care if they were 40 mill sales off Wii, we got the vast majority of third party games this generation, that is all what matters to gamers.

No one cares about first party games?  ok

Each platform has first party games, only two have first + third (to any great degree) hence that's why gamers care, PS360 gamers didn't lose out.

You are not only exaggerating the lack of third parties on Nintendo hardware but ignoring the fact that not all first parties are equal

No I'm talking about quality third party games, and that was the majority. Games like GTA, Bioshock, Red Dead, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, ect Wii got none of it, so yes PS360 gamers won out.

Doesn't matter if you think all first parties aren't equal, what matters if what peoples taste is. If they love MS or Sony first party your opinion on Nintendo being the best is worthless to them. They like MS or Sony first party AND they have all those quality third party games. That was my point about gamers winning on PS360.

Semi-religious bullshit? Hey guys I think johnlucas doesn't mean to sound religious... I don't find his posts disturbing, actually I think they are funny, he writes them like that on purpose!

It's his prediction, even if it's crazy I think we should respect it.

I think he raises some good points, his predictions may be really high but I don't get why many people get upset!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
Semi-religious bullshit? Hey guys I think johnlucas doesn't mean to sound religious... I don't find his posts disturbing, actually I think they are funny, he writes them like that on purpose!

It's his prediction, even if it's crazy I think we should respect it.

I think he raises some good points, his predictions may be really high but I don't get why many people get upset!

I don't see why you should respect crazy predictions.  If I told you I thought the world was going to end in 2 weeks you'd dismiss it as a crazy prediction with very little basis if any in observable data.  This is the same, John is telling us that the gaming world is going to collapse with Nintendo being the only major console maker to emerge from the ashes, it has no basis in what's happening now and I have no reason to give such a prediction any level of respect other than John's ability to write entire novels worth of posts.

Cap that all off with John's obvious love for Nintendo and his previous predictions for Ninty success and you have a plethora of reasons not to respect a prediction like this.