By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "An Unbiased Review" Shin Megami Tensei 4 - A kupomogli Review

Tagged games:

Depending on the the region, it's been either 10 years or around 10 years since the release of Shin Megami Tensei 3 but finally the fourth game has arrived. 

Your character is accepted by the gauntlet to become a samurai in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado, along with four others, three who become main characters in the story, to protect the land from demons.  When people start turning into demons and the black samurai is found to be at fault, you're ordered to give chase into the underground, Tokyo, and this is where the game starts.  Throughout the game you'll be asked meaningful questions with one answer or another, answers that at times are difficult to choose which you agree with.  Some of these questions will lead onto completely different events and boss battles, and then depending on your overall choices, whether your ending events will follow Law, Neutral, or Chaos.  The three characters who are with you make their own choices and the personal attachment you have between these characters with your choices and interactions between them make the storyline above most standard RPGs.

Like all of the main series and some of the spin offs, you have the ability to negotiate and recruit demons, summon, and fuse them.  This is done through the gauntlet, along with also keeping track of your quests and sub quests, as well as apps which give you or your demons benefits.  Demons in this game are a bit different from the others as HP/MP stats are no longer relatable to what their actual stats are, a major flaw in this game.  You either have high HP/low mp(85/15 split,) medium HP/MP(60/40 split,) or low HP/high MP(50/50 split.)  you'll mainly attempt to have demons that have medium MP or high MP, but sometimes you come across a fusion where you want to acquire a skill and that demon happens to be a low MP demon.  Fusing demons in this game also makes it far easier than previous titles as you can fill all eight of the demons skills with those of the two or more fused demons without any use of the demons you're going to fuse, making it extremely easy to make powerful demons, especially if you use the compendium for fodder demons.

Combat uses the press turn system from SMT3 and Digital Devil Saga,  Depending on the amount of demons you have in combat, plus your main character, you have a maximum of four press turns(normally.)  You have full press turns and half press turns.  If a weakness is hit and there is a full press turn available it will turn into a half press turn, while any other action will cost the first half press turn or a full press turn if no half press turns are available.  Pass will allow you to go to the next demon or player character, but it will change a full press turn to half or use a half press turn.  Hitting an enemy who nullfies your attack two press turns half or full, while reflect or drain will use them all.  Enemies also get the same advantage when it's their turn.

One major problem with the game is the very beginning.  Before you reach Tokyo there are two bosses that are very powerful and the demons at that location give next to no experience.  You'll find yourself fusing demons to get demons to acquire the buffs and debuffs as well as the weaknesses against the demons.  You can traverse the area you have access to up to that point in less than 20 minutes yet it'll be around eight hours or more before you'll actually be able to proceed to Tokyo.  Additionally, there's the quest system which works well at points, telling you exactly where to go, but at other times it doesn't.  There are times you're given no clue where to go or if you are, your quest menu doesn't always update it.  Usually the game automatically speaks to someone when you step past a certain point and automatically progresses the story, but there is one time in the entire game that it doesn't do this and after completing a certain event, you have to specifically press a to talk to the person yourself.  Some sub quests are no better, but the worst of those have you going back and forth trying to find four or five different groups of enemies for next to nothing as a reward.

The graphics are good for the most part.  The demons might be represented in 2D, but just about every single demon is animated and each demon also has a higher quality sprite for use when negotatng with a demon or in your inventory menu.  The dungeons are done nicely and while the dungeons are fairly small, they are detailed.  The 3D effect while in dungeons is extremely well done, but due to constantly having to go back and forth from looking at the top screen back to the bottom in battles and in the dungeon, it tends to hurt your eyes easily and is one game you don't want to tuse the 3D for very long.  The world map might look nice at times, but it's one of the biggest annoyances in the game, some places that look as if you can pass through you can't, others that look as if you can't but you actually can, none of the areas having any sort of identifier until you enter the location, etc.  The games music is well done and fits well with the locations you're in, and a lot of great battle music.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 has a lot going for it, but it has a lot of issues too.  If you can get past the first dungeon and into Tokyo then you've cleared the biggest hurdle that holds the game back, but even then it has its problems. 

Gameplay - 7
Story/Presentation - 10
Graphics/Audio - 6
Balance - 5

Overall - 7   

-

New scoring criteria.

Gameplay - 9
Design - 6
Presentation - 9
Balance - 7

Overall - 7.75

Around the Network

I see you loved the story XD 10/10

So was the wait for SMT4 worth the long wait? Did it meet your expectations is what I am asking. Or did the gameplay etc hinder it at all? Im on the fence with this game.

It was a disappointment I think, but it was still a good game. The battle system itself is good but the progression through the game and balance of the game dragged it down. I didn't really go into detail with this but the ease of making a powerful demon made the game drag when you get near the end.

For the last five to ten hours of the game, I had a few demons in my party which were pretty much invincible from anything but non elemental. Nulled or reflected everything. In SMT Nocturne, it was extremely difficult to get a party like that without a ridiculous amount of time invested in doing so.

*edit*

Digital Devil Saga allowed you to switch skills at a moments notice, but unless you grinded end game, you wouldn't be close to having null everything.  Infact you probably wouldn't have more than one null skill.

That was well-written. Seemed very honest, as well. Good job.

SMT4 is one of the games that make me want a 3DS, which hasn't changed, but some of the issues you mentioned are among my biggest pet peeves in the RPG genre, especially that "what the hell am I supposed to do next" feeling. I also get frustrated with long beginnings.

kupomogli said:

It was a disappointment I think, but it was still a good game. The battle system itself is good but the progression through the game and balance of the game dragged it down. I didn't really go into detail with this but the ease of making a powerful demon made the game drag when you get near the end.

For the last five to ten hours of the game, I had a few demons in my party which were pretty much invincible from anything but non elemental. Nulled or reflected everything. In SMT Nocturne, it was extremely difficult to get a party like that without a ridiculous amount of time invested in doing so.

*edit*

Digital Devil Saga allowed you to switch skills at a moments notice, but unless you grinded end game, you wouldn't be close to having null everything.  Infact you probably wouldn't have more than one null skill.

Well then :/  Well on the plus sid ethe story is really good XD

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

Well then :/  Well on the plus sid ethe story is really good XD

And the game itself is mostly good.  Plus if you have Fire Emblem you can get $30 for the Nintendo eshop by registering them by August 30th. 

I actually sold both vouchers for $25, so technically I got SMT4 for $25.  If you don't have Fire Emblem, you should atleast be able to sell the SMT4 voucher for $10-15.

Put this game in my 3DS and 30 minutes later I died in the tutorial dungeon and ran back to the comfort of P4G and haven't looked back lol. Kinda sucks since I was looking forward to trying a SMT game besides Persona and got my ass handed to me in the tutorial.

I'll give it another shot sometime down the road but man it was kind of disheartening...

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Soriku said:

Other than that, the game was very good for the most part. Why did you give graphics/audio a 6 btw? Doesn't really seem to match your review.

A fourth of the time you're exploring is on the world map and the world map graphics are horrible.  So since It's a main portion that has problems when traversing because of how bad the graphics are so I marked down on it.  I also mentioned that while dungeons looked good, they were also small.

Soriku said:

The game's two biggest issues of the game were lack of directions and the difficulty.

The game practically assumes you know Tokyo so directions were likely not an issue to people who actually live in Japan but is an issue to anyone else. But this can be easily rectified if you explore enough, have a good memory, and maybe write down notes on where areas are. Or alternatively looking up how to get to areas on Google works fine as well, or looking through the book you get with the game so it ends up not being that big of a deal overall.

Second, the game starts out hard which is cool, but eventually gets too easy. With a build that's really focused on magic by me, the main character can do crazy damage and can decimate bosses. By the time I got Megido (and eventually Megidola) I was just spamming that in each standard battle and I was killing everything in 1-2 turns. The balance in Nocturne was better, but I thought Nocturne was easy too (despite everyone clamoring about how tough it is, which it isn't).

Other than that, the game was very good for the most part. Why did you give graphics/audio a 6 btw? Doesn't really seem to match your review.

I think the game is easy when you know how the mechanics work and how to take advantage of them. For example, during my fight with Medusa I had a weak electric armor, so obviously I got destroyed. After that horrendous fight I changed my armor and I had a very easy fight. For a new player this won't really be that obvious which makes the game extremely difficult.

It also depends on how overlevel you are, I was doing practically all the challenges but after a short while I was even 4 levels higher than the bosses so I decided to stop doing them, and I'm finally catching up (I'm level 40).

As for looking locations, I only remember the main areas (Ueno, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, etc) but when a challenge ask me to go to a different area I just get lost, in more than one ocation I had to google it. I think the map should have been managed better.

Nintendo and PC gamer

RolStoppable said:
Is this game better or worse than Persona 3?

If you like more text than gameplay, then Persona 3 is the better game.

Nintendo and PC gamer