By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Steve Ballmer mentions push for Xbox acceptance in Europe and Japan

We are already seeing signs of some of their plans for Japan (introduction of Xbox 360 arcade, doubling of the Xbox 360's game library) so it'll be interesting to see what exactly they have planned for continental Europe.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1149

"Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer outlined Microsoft’s top eight growth targets during his annual “Strategic Update” for Wall Street analysts in New York on February 4. Ballmer repeated several times during the hour-long presentation that “growth will require investment.” He noted that his view of what constitutes “long term” is “five to seven to ten years” out — most likely a lot longer than the typical three-year timeframe typically envisioned by analysts and shareholders.

Ballmer’s top growth picks are almost identical to the ones he outlined during last year’s Strategic Update. On Ballmer’s 2008 list of arenas where Microsoft believes it can sustain three-quarters of a billion dollars or more in new margin growth:

7. Xbox: When Microsoft talks about hardware, it mostly is talking about Xbox. Ballmer said to watch for Microsoft to continue to push for broader Xbox acceptance in markets where it has been less popular, like continental Europe and Japan. Also watch for the company to do more outreach to non-classic gamers in order to continue to build Xbox market share."

Around the Network

So, in other words, they're gonna try to become more like Nintendo, as the generation progresses.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

You mean like Iwata talking hardcore games and calling out for more to be made for the Wii? Oh and speaking of copying, does Wiiware remind you just a little of Xbox Live Arcade?

They've been singing this song for a number of years now.

My, this got derailed faster than usual.

This isn't exactly new information (other than it coming from the CEO rather than from someone nestled in the Xbox division), but I expect based on recent statements that they will focus on Europe most particularly. Not that they're giving up in Japan, mind you, just that they have a shot to take a significant part of the European market now, while Japan is still years and millions of dollars of investment away from being truly meaningful.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I agree with Bod. Japan is somewhat of a lost cause for Microsoft, and if Microsoft does things right, they can maintain their lead over Sony in Europe.

Bodhesatva said:
My, this got derailed faster than usual.

This isn't exactly new information (other than it coming from the CEO rather than from someone nestled in the Xbox division), but I expect based on recent statements that they will focus on Europe most particularly. Not that they're giving up in Japan, mind you, just that they have a shot to take a significant part of the European market now, while Japan is still years and millions of dollars of investment away from being truly meaningful.

Don't you think the Europe boat has already sailed in regards to stopping the PS3 in that region? I mean, 360 has thrown their best games at Europe, the cheapest HD system on the market, and throwing a larger quantity and better versions of majority of games and yet France, Germany, Italy and Spain just don't want to know.

Other than drop price, which Sony will most definitely match, there is nothing Microsoft can do. Sony already have major Europe centric games on their system and some exclusively. Games like Ninja Gaiden, Fable 2, Alan Wake don't appeal to the European market like they do the US market, Forza is going to get out done by the more profile Gran Turismo 5. So I really don't think there is a hell of a lot Microsoft can really do at this point.

Im some what convinced that 07 will be the 360's best year. I think its to the point that if ms drops the price sony can too. Who knows maybe im just a hopeful sony fanboy.

They have a chance with Europe, but Japan just ain't gonna crack.

They're not selling anything Japan wants, and Japan's shift toward handheld tendencies indicates that no home console touting traditional games is going to do well in the market.

I wouldn't be surprised if SSBB doesn't sell as much in Japan as it should. Then again, I've seen enough Japanese Brawl vids of crappy players that I could believe that causals are mistakenly buying the game...

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I would agree with the sentiment that Europe is a far more significant market then Japan. First the others market is, or was 34% of the global market. Compare that to North Americas 51% and Japans 16%. Even if you think Europe is only two thirds of the numbers tracking then thats still larger then Japan. Second Microsoft has much more traction in that market. Third that market seems to be more accepting of the same genres of games. Which results in greater carry over.

Europe is probably the most interesting regional race for the high definition consoles. Microsoft and Sony have both switched up spots a couple times now, and there is nothing to say we can't see the same this year. The smallest critical changes right now could have incredible results. The price of the hardware, local investment, advertising, and very importantly release schedules.

This perhaps will be the first generation where the manufacturers will feel the concerted need to get their products into the European market faster then they have in the past. All of it is quite logical I would say bigger market getting more focus.