By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Alex Rodriguez suspended for 211 games until 2014

MonstaMack said:
Remove all his stats and make sure he never gets into the HOF, as well as playing in baseball ever again.

I say void the rest of his contract.  That would hurt far more taking away his stats or denying him entry into the HOF (which wasn't going to happen anyway even before this latest BIogenesis case).  

Around the Network
DamnTastic said:
can someone explain this please?
because the OP is ...

Yankees fine Rodriguez $150,000

B

The New York Yankees fined third baseman Alex Rodriguez more than $150,000, ESPNNewYork.com reported. Rodriguez was assessed the fine for missing a July 12 meeting with Major League Baseball officials to discuss his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal and seeking a second medical opinion on an injury without notifying the team first. Rodriguez has been playing since Monday after appealing a 211-game suspension stemming from his associations with Biogenesis. A letter written by Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was reportedly hand-delivered to Rodriguez before Friday's game against the visiting Detroit Tigers. It details why the Yankees fined the third baseman, noting the July 12 absence and seeking the second medical opinion. Part of it reads: "The club contemplates discipline for your most recent violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement." The letter does not specify how the dollar figure was settled on, but the $153,846 amount equates to one day's pay under Rodriguez's contract, in which he makes $28 million this year. The Yankees already fined backup catcher Francisco Cervelli, who accepted a 50-game ban for his role in the Biogenesis scandal. He was fined for failing to appear for treatment on his injured hand and shoulder on July 28. Cervelli said he was "too stressed out" to come to the Yankees' facility in Tampa, Fla., after learning about his suspension, according to a source. His $2,831 fine also equals a day's pay. He makes a $515,350 salary this season. Rodriguez and Cervelli can appeal the fines, according to the collective bargaining agreement. When Rodriguez was asked about the letter, he denied receiving it before saying that it may have been sent to his lawyers. "But I'm not really going to talk about that," he said. A source indicated that Rodriguez, his attorney David Cornwell, MLBPA executive director Michael Weiner, MLB executive Rob Manfred and Yankees team president Randy Levine were among those who received the letter. Some in Rodriguez's camp believe that the timing of the letter's delivery was part of a conspiracy that the Yankees are trying to alienate him, but another source dismissed the theory. "You think a letter like that is going to (mess) him up?," the source said. "This guy's got legal stuff going on all the time. This is just a gnat compared to everything he's got going on."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/us/alex-rodriguez-suspension-appeal

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

A-Roid

Got what he deserved. The good old boys back in the day hit homers while living on beer and chew...nowadays little punk bitches need to jab needles full of steroids into their cocks to hit it far. Sad what the game is becoming.

Marks said:
A-Roid

Got what he deserved. The good old boys back in the day hit homers while living on beer and chew...nowadays little punk bitches need to jab needles full of steroids into their cocks to hit it far. Sad what the game is becoming.

But then many others should be hit. Bonds should be banned, Maguire, etc. Sammy Sosa is good to go since nothing was ever proven, but if it comes out he should be banned and worse for lying for so long.

I wonder or would like to know at what point in these players career that they started? I bet A-Rod was when the Pressure was on and he was traded to New York. Or has he already stated this?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Marks said:
A-Roid

That depends on how far back in the day you want to go.  Amphetamines were massive in baseball all the way back to at least the 60s and, according to some, before that, while steroid use began to grow pretty fast during the 70s.  Even going way, way back to the 20s, there are accounts of players attempting to use testosterone serums, though they probably weren't very effective.

The only real difference between then and now is that the stuff now works a hell of a lot better.  Some of the most honored and respected players in baseball history have admitted to using amphetamines, for example.

As for A-Rod, I think this fits with what other players have gotten.  He shouldn't get more just because he's more famous.  I'd like to see him out of baseball but they can't just single him out.

As for taking stats and records away, at this point that's pretty much an impossible task.  If they started that route they'd have to go all the way.  Baseball has a very long history of corruption, cheating, and drug use.  If they really started digging, half the HoF would be wiped clean.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

I wonder or would like to know at what point in these players career that they started? I bet A-Rod was when the Pressure was on and he was traded to New York. Or has he already stated this?

It varies greatly.  Some, especially Latin American players, will start in the minor leagues because they feel they need an edge to get them to the major leagues.  A lot of players have said they started when another player introduced them to a source and started the "everyone's doing it" routine.

I think the most common situation, though, is when a player gets injured or worn down and they start worrying about their future.  They take it so they can stay strong for the entire season and bounce back faster.  That's why a lot of pitchers take it, especially.

pokoko said:
spurgeonryan said:

It varies greatly.  Some, especially Latin American players, will start in the minor leagues because they feel they need an edge to get them to the major leagues.  A lot of players have said they started when another player introduced them to a source and started the "everyone's doing it" routine.

I think the most common situation, though, is when a player gets injured or worn down and they start worrying about their future.  They take it so they can stay strong for the entire season and bounce back faster.  That's why a lot of pitchers take it, especially.

Which is pretty much how we know Ken Griffey Jr. never took them. He had his body beat hard! Broken wrists, etc. Plus his stats went down. It did not help that he left the Mariners in his prime for a team that did not really care about him.