By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft cuts the price of the Surface Pro models.

Fusioncode said:
Who the hell wants to shell out 800$ for a tablet?

Or just get a Chromebook

Around the Network
dallas said:
Fusioncode said:
Who the hell wants to shell out 800$ for a tablet?

Or just get a Chromebook

yah, it really depends of what you want to do with it.
A Chromebook is way enough if you just want to browse the web and maybne edit few files with gdocs.
800$ is way too much for that :)

Its a tablet, processor architecture a laptop does not make.

Its an $800 tablet the world didnt want,
3rd party Laptops are selling just fine.

Still too much by at least $300.

superchunk said:

Yeah, MSFT was trying to do way too much with this, I'm guessing that the removable keyboard jacked up the cost

Around the Network
dallas said:
superchunk said:

Yeah, MSFT was trying to do way too much with this, I'm guessing that the removable keyboard jacked up the cost

Sucks too as when I first saw it, I was all over it. Then the price killed it for me. Its hard for me to spend more than $600 on a laptop. So this tablet with laptop-like capability is great... just not at those prices.

In the end, I'm sticking with my $200 Nexus tablets and $200 chromebook. Had these win8 devices been around $400 or less, I would have definitely considered one.

Wow, even discounted it's like $500 more than I would ever pay for any tablet.

Imaginedvl said:

It is a laptop. And BasilZero got my point (Looks like you did not).
Call it a tablet if you want but you cannot compare it to another "tablet" like the iPad; you need to compare it to laptop or even netbook...

Also before claiming such things, just link where you can buy a tablet for 250 euros who can run Diablo 3, Photoshop and Visual Studio just fine (need an i5 not an Atom... by running I mean USABLE)... Other than eBay...
Stop the hating seriously...

Well, looking at the edits, it seems that BasilZero actually didn't get your point about it being a laptop, just like everyone else, including Microsoft themselves.

I'm not sure what you're even trying to say with the last part. I was just pointing out that the fact that my tablet PC is running the full version of Windows 8 still doesn't make it a laptop; it's still a tablet PC. I don't know why an i5 processor or an Atom processor should matter when it comes to deciding if it's a tablet or a laptop.

all MS need do is change the OS from 8 to 7 and it'll fly off the shelves, i hate windows 8, i bought it and installed it on my PC and within 6 hours it was uninstalled and windows 7 reinstalled, sorry but windows 8 is a clutter fest, a messy os that the majority of PC users don't like, that's the real reason why the surface isn't selling that well other than much better cheaper tablets like the ASUS transformer being on the market that do exactly what the surface does without the headache that is windows 8.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

ArnoldRimmer said:
Imaginedvl said:

It is a laptop. And BasilZero got my point (Looks like you did not).
Call it a tablet if you want but you cannot compare it to another "tablet" like the iPad; you need to compare it to laptop or even netbook...

Also before claiming such things, just link where you can buy a tablet for 250 euros who can run Diablo 3, Photoshop and Visual Studio just fine (need an i5 not an Atom... by running I mean USABLE)... Other than eBay...
Stop the hating seriously...

Well, looking at the edits, it seems that BasilZero actually didn't get your point about it being a laptop, just like everyone else, including Microsoft themselves.

I'm not sure what you're even trying to say with the last part. I was just pointing out that the fact that my tablet PC is running the full version of Windows 8 still doesn't make it a laptop; it's still a tablet PC. I don't know why an i5 processor or an Atom processor should matter when it comes to deciding if it's a tablet or a laptop.

My response to BazilZero was very clear and I explained like 5 times WHY I said that. He edited his reply but stayed civilized and he really understood what I was meaning anyway. You, on the other hand are falsely claiming that you bought a comparable machine running Diablo 3 without any problem for 250 euros and that the Surface Pro is overpriced at 799$... Again, if it is overpriced link me a machine at 250$ who sports an i5? Therefore who is able to do the SAME things than the Surface Pro?

Stop ignoring the facts just : Surface Pro > iPad : call them both tablets if you want but the facts are they are totaly different beasts. Even if there both have the tag "tablet" on them... The Ouya and the PS4 are both "consoles"... I do not think you can really compare them and say that the PS4 is way overpriced when you can get a "console" for only 150$...

Now if you are still comparing the Surface Pro with an iPad, yes the CPU does not matter and the price is irrelevant (but then the iPad is also overpriced as you can get some tablets under 99$). Now if you compare it to an ultrabook (which is what the Surface Pro is in term of technical specs) it is another story.