By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Physical media is like "having a dead body handcuffed" to Xbox One

JEMC said:
Munkeh111 said:

Precisely, this is a man speaking in a very biased way as he seeks to justify his exit from the traditional boxed game market

Even with Steam on PC, there are still physical games, but they do rely on an activation code, giving you the best of both worlds. They do, however, avoid the massive downloads that are still problematic. They probably won't be an issue in 2-3 years in most places, but they are for 90% of people now and will still be an issue for a good percentage of people throughout this whole generation

Even more if they really go FullHD and start using massive textures to fill even bigger worlds.

Precisely. There are already some huge games, like the Total Wars that are over 35GB!

GTA IV is 15GB, so just imagine how large V is going to be with 4x the area. I don't want to be downloading games much larger than that!

I have downloaded them to my PC, but when I have the option, I get the physical copy AND I have the best internet money can buy in the UK as far as I know (Virgin Media 120Mb/s)

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
JEMC said:
Munkeh111 said:

Precisely, this is a man speaking in a very biased way as he seeks to justify his exit from the traditional boxed game market

Even with Steam on PC, there are still physical games, but they do rely on an activation code, giving you the best of both worlds. They do, however, avoid the massive downloads that are still problematic. They probably won't be an issue in 2-3 years in most places, but they are for 90% of people now and will still be an issue for a good percentage of people throughout this whole generation

Even more if they really go FullHD and start using massive textures to fill even bigger worlds.

Precisely. There are already some huge games, like the Total Wars that are over 35GB!

GTA IV is 15GB, so just imagine how large V is going to be with 4x the area. I don't want to be downloading games much larger than that!

I have downloaded them to my PC, but when I have the option, I get the physical copy AND I have the best internet money can buy in the UK as far as I know (Virgin Media 120Mb/s)

GTA IV + plus the EXP packs took me 9 hours to dl. I wish steam allowed you to install from discs. I have physical  and digital version of GTA IV. That's just 32GB. Imagine every game is 50GB for now on.

archer9234 said:

GTA IV + plus the EXP packs took me 9 hours to dl. I wish steam allowed you to install from discs. I have physical  and digital version of GTA IV. That's just 32GB. Imagine every game is 50GB for now on.

32GB would take weeks for me to download. :(

archer9234 said:
Munkeh111 said:

It does! But only some.... http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712878

That thread lists the games that "run with Steamworks" thus mean that when you buy the physical copy, you have to register it on Steam, giving you the steam copy but allowing you to install from the disc. The problem is that these are quite limited, but I'm not really sure how to fix it

Munkeh111 said:
archer9234 said:
Munkeh111 said:

It does! But only some.... http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712878

That thread lists the games that "run with Steamworks" thus mean that when you buy the physical copy, you have to register it on Steam, giving you the steam copy but allowing you to install from the disc. The problem is that these are quite limited, but I'm not really sure how to fix it

Yeah I know. Unless it was a system wide option, pointless. I had to rebuy GTA IV just because of this limitation. I didn't want to deal with the beyond horrible setup of installing games for windows live, then the soical club crap on top of that. Half the time the programs crapped out.

Around the Network

Actually physical media will be essential in the future.........I heard 500gig discs are being made for 2015.

Because with 4k movies, downloading those would be just ridiculous

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Actually physical media will be essential in the future.........I heard 500gig discs are being made for 2015.

Because with 4k movies, downloading those would be just ridiculous

Majority couldn't even get 2 movies before they reach their caps. I have an Austrilan friend. At 100+GB limit, 4k would kill his cap in one shot. Let alone the several day download. Streaming wouldn't be possible. He can't even stream at 1080p correctly.

VGPolyglot said:
If video games go digital exclusive, then I guess I will stick to the older consoles. I refuse to buy digital.

Amen. 

Is it so bad that I want a collection on my bookshelf, and not a collection on my  hard drive that may possibly crash at any moment?

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

You can't take your console and move it around on a plane or a train. It has to be played in front of a TV (save Wii U as the only exception) hooked up to a wall socket.

So what does it matter for consoles to have to buy a physical disc?

I don't see the problem at all. Consoles are not mobile.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.