By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I import a PS3?

I live in the UK where there's no BC and they're extremely expensive. A friend is going to the US and has offered to bring stuff back so I'm thinking about a 60gb PS3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of importing? So far I have:

Advantages:

• Much cheaper
  • Games are region free

Disadvantages:

• Can only play US/Jap Blu-Ray discs
  • BC with US games only

Any others? What's the situation with using the store and home in a foreign country?

Around the Network

how much cheaper (minus shipping fees + custom fees)?

I don't know, I use my blu-ray function a lot, so I don't think it's worth it without that feature, Unless you buy blu-ray from US/Japan a lot

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

There are no shipping fees and customs because my friend would be bringing it back. There's no 60gb on release in the UK but the 40gb has an RRP of £299.99 and can easily be found for £279.99. Our prices include taxes rather than adding them on separately so that's what I'd pay. It's about $560.

Blu-Ray isn't currently a major issue as I don't have an HDTV but who knows, in the future I may want Blu-Ray discs.

I am not interested in the 40gb model as I want built in wireless, etc, basically all the features they took out. So it's a choice between importing or waiting for Sony to release a proper non-stripped-down version in the UK.

Just like to remind you that US 80GB PS3 won't support the PAL region PS1 and PS2 games because BC is not region free.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Thanks for that confirmation, I'll update my original post.

Around the Network

just hope they have PS3 software mod that can do region-free for both Blu-ray and PS2 games.

:), let us know if you end up importing one

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

If you get lucky try to find a 60 gig or the 80 gig is fine. If you want BC then get it.

ferret1603 said:
I am not interested in the 40gb model as I want built in wireless, etc, basically all the features they took out. So it's a choice between importing or waiting for Sony to release a proper non-stripped-down version in the UK.

40 GB has wifi. Anyways, a NTSC PS3 doesn't seem worth it. You'd have to import blu-ray movies, and PS2 games. But it's up to you.

arn't 60gb's discontinued in NA?

I would recommend you get the 80GB PS3. It plays most of the PS2 software and all PS1 software and it can be found anywhere.

It's sad that Sony got rid of the 60GB which had full BC with PS2 games. But get the 80GB, bro.