By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What games have the most staying power?

Fun games. Wait, fun strategy games. That's better.

Around the Network

Arcade games. Pac-man and Galaga are just as fun today as they were 25 years ago. That's why people still pay to download them.

kirby007 said:
C&C , any RTS actually

That's because that genre hasn't changed in a decade.

There, I said it.

Any game that doesn't gain much from the transition to 3D ages well. Also, any game that doesn't gain much from new control schemes, such as strategy and puzzle games.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
kirby007 said:
C&C , any RTS actually

That's because that genre hasn't changed in a decade.

There, I said it.

Any game that doesn't gain much from the transition to 3D ages well. Also, any game that doesn't gain much from new control schemes, such as strategy and puzzle games.

but it's not bad that it hasn't changed=]

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

brute said:
i think racing games can

Agree. Look at that old classic GPL on PC, but any good racing game can provide almost the same fun as it was just bought for a long time.

Second come RPGs, if they are moddable and there is the possibility to add missions, expansions, whatever, prolonging their life. Obviously they must be good games to start with. (Although at least once I was going to ditch a game, Throne of Darkness, that looked to me too similar to Diablo II, that I didn't like, then, keeping on playing it, I started finding the differences, the better touches and I liked it). Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate series have a very good longevity. Thief series too, that I really don't know how to categorize, other than the peculiar subgenre "Sneak 'em up", is quite long-lived, despite the obvious flaws of its third episode.  Deus Ex series, OTOH, could have a great longevity, but it didn't because the developers betrayed its spirit oversimplifying the sequel.

Regarding FPS,  moddability and expandability and multiplayer are a must, but easy controls are also very important, especially for PC games, where the keyboard gives ample opportunities to realize either awful or awesome controls (and sometimes the possibility of customizing them doesn't help the worst of them). The Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike series, for example, have a much greater longevity, than the founders of the genre Doom and Quake series.

Mods and expansions also give some kind of PC games an edge for longevity, "same room multiplayer", OTOH, gives console games of other kinds the same or even greater edge, with the advantage of a greater power of easing socialization.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:
This is my first tread so please forgive me if i brake any rules.

What i mean by the title is what kind of games do you think can withstand the time the most (ex: RPGs, platformers, FPS, Racing games, etc.) and why.

1. The first rule you broke is spelling "brake" wrong, its spelt break.

2. Congrats on the first thread

3. Staying power is a Queen song I think...I like Queen.

4. I would have to pick Racing games. You can always play a racing game, Gran Turismo is the best racing series ever, or the entire Need For Speed Franchise. Look at the legs NFS: Pro Street has and it sucks!  I think you get tired of the same FPS after a while, as for platformers I think you get bored of Mario after a while, RPG's can get tiring.

coolestguyever said:
antfromtashkent said:

What i mean by the title is what kind of games do you think can withstand the time the most (ex: RPGs, platformers, FPS, Racing games, etc.) and why.

1. The first rule you broke is spelling "brake" wrong, its spelt break.

2. Congrats on the first thread

3. Staying power is a Queen song I think...I like Queen.

4. I would have to pick Racing games. You can always play a racing game, Gran Turismo is the best racing series ever, or the entire Need For Speed Franchise. Look at the legs NFS: Pro Street has and it sucks!  I think you get tired of the same FPS after a while, as for platformers I think you get bored of Mario after a while, RPG's can get tiring.

fixed :)

coolestguyever said:
antfromtashkent said:

4. I would have to pick Racing games. You can always play a racing game, Gran Turismo is the best racing series ever, or the entire Need For Speed Franchise. Look at the legs NFS: Pro Street has and it sucks! I think you get tired of the same FPS after a while, as for platformers I think you get bored of Mario after a while, RPG's can get tiring.

I think the OP is asking what games stand the test of time in quality, not in sales.  There's always a new and better racing game coming out; would you still go back and play Gran Turismo 1 today?  I sure wouldn't.

I think those that can last the longest are those that stand alone in terms of story, gameplay, structure, or simply by having a great, unique design.  Many RPGs and platformers will fit into this category; I still play through Super Mario World now and then and enjoy it as much as ever.  Good puzzle games, as previously mentioned, are also virtually time-proof.  Tetris has been released literally four million times and can still be just as great today as it was back in 1989.  I fully expect to go back to Shadow of the Colossus periodically and still be amazed.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

GooseGaws said:
coolestguyever said:
antfromtashkent said:

4. I would have to pick Racing games. You can always play a racing game, Gran Turismo is the best racing series ever, or the entire Need For Speed Franchise. Look at the legs NFS: Pro Street has and it sucks! I think you get tired of the same FPS after a while, as for platformers I think you get bored of Mario after a while, RPG's can get tiring.

I think the OP is asking what games stand the test of time in quality, not in sales.  There's always a new and better racing game coming out; would you still go back and play Gran Turismo 1 today?  I sure wouldn't.

I think those that can last the longest are those that stand alone in terms of story, gameplay, structure, or simply by having a great, unique design.  Many RPGs and platformers will fit into this category; I still play through Super Mario World now and then and enjoy it as much as ever.  Good puzzle games, as previously mentioned, are also virtually time-proof.  Tetris has been released literally four million times and can still be just as great today as it was back in 1989.  I fully expect to go back to Shadow of the Colossus periodically and still be amazed.

yes u r right. i mean games like SMB for example ppl still like to play today, also games like tetris etc. 

Which games stand the test of time the best?

Nintendo games.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!