By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Muslim writes about Jesus - Is This The Most Embarrassing Interview Fox News Has Ever Done?

mrstickball said:
MDMAlliance said:
mrstickball said:

New Testament is a bit different, though. There are 20,000 manuscripts that have been found and utilized to make up what we read today. Between the 20,000 source manuscripts, there is almost no variance between them, aside from translation differences between the languages they are written in. They all say the same thing about Jesus, and the writings thereafter by Paul, Peter, and the writers of the Gospels.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any document from antiquity that is even close to that kind of relaibility - even the works of the historical scholars that make up our understanding of the ancient world. Even then, the 3rd party, non-religious accounts of Christianity agree with what the NT says, where the statements are available.

Having said that, a book writen by a Muslim on Christ is going to be heavily biased against Christ's claims. Much in the same way if a Christian wrote about Mohammed.

You speak as if you have anywhere near as much background as this guy in Religious History.  I have talked to someone who was studying Religion and he would disagree with you, just as Aslan would.  There are many bad translations in the Bible and there are also books that have been lost (New Testament).  

Also, your last part really shows how prejudiced you are.  Him being Muslim suddenly means he's going to be biased against Christ's claims?  I know how you make your arguments and I rarely ever agree with you, and you make really bad arguments all the time so I'm not even going to bother responding past this.

You do....Understand what Islam says about Jesus, right?

Muslims' belief in Jesus is vastly different than a Christian's belief in Jesus. One believes he is the messiah, and son of God. The other believes he is simply another prophet of God. Why would you believe that someone that has that faith will publish books that would attack his own religions' beliefs about that person?

Like I said, it'd make as much sense as a Christian proclaiming that Mohammed is Allah's prophet, and that Jesus isn't the Son of God. They're conflicting religious viewpoints.

A simple Wikipedia search on Jesus in Islam would agree with this statement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam

Just read a bit. You'll understand why both religions' beliefs of Jesus are heavily conflicting with one another.

I am not being prejudiced against Muslims by stating this simple fact. No Muslim believes the way I do about Jesus. If they did, they really couldn't be considered Muslim, because it would negate their own prophet's declaration about the nature of Allah. Likewise, taking a Muslims' account of the nature and lack of divinity of Christ would fully negate the core components of what a Christian believes. They are mutually exclusive. Yes, both believe that Jesus existed, but their belief on his nature are heavily divergent.

If you can't understand this, then I really have nothing else to say to you. These statements aren't an attack against Muslims. I respect their right to believe differently about Al-Isa than I do. But I'm not going to agree with their viewpoint, because I do believe its wrong as a Christian - because if I did take their viewpoint on the nature of Al-Isa, then I would no longer be a Christian.

Well said. Moreover, Islam doesn’t believe Christ died, while Christians do. Funny thing is that most people in here that are neither Muslim nor Christian wouldn’t even understand the earth shatteringly momentous difference between those two different points of view.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Adinnieken said:

This.

People read the bible believing it is a factual account.  It isn't.  The Great Flood, for example, didn't happen.  It's a story that is common in the middle-eastern region and has its origins in Mesopotamia long before even biblical scholars can attribute it to happening in the biblical time-line.

There are historical facts in the bible, but the bible isn't a true historical document.

The fact that you are lumping the bible in one big catch-phrase goes to show how much you know about it.

The book is written by various authors, in many different languages under various litterary types. The gospel accounts themselves are of varying degrees of historical method.

It just goes to show that, no matter what information you present, the bible will always be seen as material that must prove itself, when it really proves itself. I mean, even if the flood were untrue (which I seriously doubt), the gospels hold each other up together very well even historically speaking.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

An unfortunately for the christian's alot of theirs are broken.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:

[...]

1@bold. You can't say that. If I report you you're going to get banned, and I want to talk. Stop pegging me in a pigeonhole. What does it matter what religion I believe, I don't have an agenda, I simply trust more the bible than the naturalistic sources you trust. I'm not gonna report you this time but seriously stop.

2@No science backing intelligent design. Do you realize that creation.com is a site filled with a plethora of scientific articles using modern science to explain what they believe to be biblical phenomenon which can be explained by science? In other words, they try to hold the bible accountable to modern-day science. It's not pseudo-science I've gone over this with you a million times. Have you even read some of their articles?

3@Contradictions. I went through your list and there were not many NT ones. The contradictions of the NT I skimmed over were "Scarlet" rather than "Purple" for Christ's robe, or "Vinegar" versus "Wine with myrrh", stuff that makes the sources even MORE credible as these are eye-witness accounts.

And again, I asked for other historical texts that support each other as much. You still haven't provided any.

4@Evolution keeps changing its tune. Are you seriously saying that evolution got it right the first time and didn't change since Darwin?

2: Have you ever read an actual scientific article? Not, a summary of an article on FOX; not a report of an article from a second-hand non-scientific magazine or website; not something posted on a forum, but an actual scientific article? Do you even understand what peer-review is? (no, that 'article' on creation.com, which simply resorts to accusations is neither a correct representation of peer-review, nor is it an unbiased critique of it) 

To know 'pseudo'-science, you must be able to understand 'actual' science. Science does not tell you the truth. Science employs reason in order to present empirical facts, as we understand and interpret them right now. Science is in many circumstances an (informed) opinion, and quite often its findings are very precise and narrow, and open to re-examination. Science 'facts' can be re-established (or disproven) by conducting independent experiments or research, and these new tests/re-evaluations can be performed by anyone who has a firm grasp of both theory and methodology of the topic at hand. The methodology implemented has to be explained, verified and defended in each and every academic article published.

3: There are contradictions in nearly every historical book. History was not always a science, and in fact even today's historiography struggles to become a science (I would know, as I have studied the field at postgraduate level). There are attempts to implement scientific checks and rigorous peer-review but the fact remains that history is a difficult beast and verges on the point between being an elaborate art-form, and a true scientific topic with appropriate methodologies. What makes you think that 'history' of so many thousand years ago is able to stand rigorous review and analysis? We are barely able to 'argue' the history of Cold War from a scientific/historiographic perspective, let alone be able to verify the historicity of a book that is marginally 'historical' in the first place. Humans have always told stories of the past. The methodologies they used to pass them on have always been questionable, and even today there is huge debate among historians on what constitutes correct methodology in their field. Mythologies from everywhere tend to have historical information that we can extract. Yet, of all the mythological texts, it is the Bible that people most often try to prove or disprove its' historicity.

4: There is no right or wrong in science. Only new information and experiments that may amend or overturn the past. Science does not come from the same place. Not all scientists agree on everything. Science is a process, not a result. Science does not tell or try to tell you 'the truth'. Science is a rational procedure, it is not infallible and may indeed change over time. Freud was still speaking of 'female hysteria', and of course modern psychology completely rejects this concept and notion. This does not invalidate neither Freud nor modern psychology. The diference of science and religion is that science is actually made by thousands of people, with different agendas, different opinions, different backgrounds. Their research is published and is available for any other scientist to review, comment or dispute. If a scientific article is ground-breaking, it will be cited more often, leading to new edits, changes and improvements -- by the original author or team of authors, or by an altogether different team. A new team may even succesfully dispute and negate previous research. Nothing is set on stone.

Religion would instead try to defend the inclusion of 'female hysteria', and attempt to interpret the meaning behind the use of the term. The problem here being, of course, that 'old information' is always interpreted in light of 'new information', in such a way as to always maintain the validity of the old information. It is this forced interpretation that causes all the trouble. Religion is not a science, exactly because religion is infallible.

You can write a PhD on the historical mistakes of science and the philosophy of the scientific method, and it would still be a scientific piece of work, open to peer-review and discussion. Science is not infallible, and it is not a single, unified position on the cosmos. It is merely our current understanding of tiny, extremely particular aspects of it, as we have interpreted from experiment, rational thinking and observation. It is always a case of 'what we know now', based on all available information.

DaRev said:
Fifaguy360 said:
DaRev said:
Fifaguy360 said:
DaRev said:
Fifaguy360 said:
DaRev said:
happydolphin said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

This dude obviously didn't read the sourse he quoted. Just taking the first purported contradiction i.e. "1)How many generations were there between Abraham to David?  Matthew 1:17 lists fourteen generations.  Matthew 1:12-16 lists thirteen generations." If he had read the Bible he would see that while Mat 1:17 does say that there were 14 generations between Abraham and David, Mat 1:12-16 lists the generation after that time, i.e. after David, and clearly states in Mat 1:12 that "And after they were brought to Babylon,...", mean those (13? I didn't count) generations were after the Abraham to David generations.

I didn't read the rest of the "contradictions" because the author clearly stumbled out of the gate with his point. Try again...please

It says from Abraham to David are fourteen generations. There are only twelve from Abraham to David listed.

Also it says from "from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generation"...but it's thirteen ....then thirteen again for the last count.

The author(of the website) made a mistake in quotation there, but you will see the discrepancy if you just read it yourself.

you don't know what "generation" means, but as a tip, try not to miss Abraham and Davaid thenselves. Plus the bible quotes generations FROM not generations BETWEEN. In any event here they are: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and brothers, Perez (and Zerah), Hezron, Ram, Amminadob, Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz, Obed, Jesse, and David.

You're saying FROM Abraham to Isaac is two generations? FROM 1 to 2 is 2 numbers?

For arguments sake I'll roll with your answer. From David to the exile of Babylon would be 15 generations if we include David and Jeconiah.

Just a reminder. Counting generations as suggested by the text gives 12, 13, 13. Your way gives 14, 15, 15. We're trying to reconcile with 14, 14, 14.

Matthew 1:17 counts David in two generations. This is because Matthew 1 not only lists the geneology of Jesus but also list HISTORICAL periods in the jewish ancestry. As I said before, the book of Matthew was written for Jeewish sensibilities, so while the geneology of Jesus is important, it is also more imporrtant for JEWS to undertsand the geneology's historical context. You don't just read the words on the page of the Bible, you also need to understand their significance, i.e. the geneology of Jesus might also be a historical account of fact when Israel was taking into captivity. Plus I'm surre there is some prophesy being fullflied in there if you can take the time to study WHEN they went into captivity.

Anyways, here is how the geneology goes.

1. The history of Israel from Abraham to David: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and brothers, Perez (and Zerah), Hezron, Ram, Amminadob, Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz, Obed, Jesse, and David. That’s 14 generations from Abraham to David. We don’t count Zerah as he is the same generation as Perez.
  2. From David to deportation to Babylon: David, Solomon, Rehoboam, Abijah, Asa, Jehoshaphat, Joram, Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, Manasseh, Amon, Josiah. That’s 14 generations. Notice that the passage says: “from David to the deportation.” Therefore, David is considered the first generation in the deportation.
  3. From Babylon to the time of Jesus: Jeconiah, Shealtial, Zerubbabel, Abiud, Elikim, Azor, Zadok, Achim, Eljud, Eleazar, Matthan, Jacob, Joseph, Jesus. 14 generations.

In #2, why aren't you counting Jeconiah? He was definitely there at exile listed as Josiah's son.

Also from Abraham to Isaac is one generation. Not two. You can't include Abraham because he's point zero. Keyword is from. From 6 o'clock to 7 o'clock is only 1 hour.

What were talking about here are CONTRADICTIONS in the NT. What we are not talking about is whether the Bible can count properly. With that said, Matthew 1:17 CLEARLY states that it counts the generation of Daid twice:

17 Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah.

Whether you think that is silly or not is irrelivant, as there is no CONTRADICTION because the passage of scripture tells us how it is made up those 42 (not 41) historical (not necessarilly counting) generations. What you should now go and do, is to find out what is the SIGNIFICANCE of counting David's generation twice

It doesn't count David twice and it doesn't count Abraham and you're not counting Jeconiah twice based on your approach either. You're not understanding the from and to business here.

From 6 oclock to 7 oclock is 1 hour, but you're telling me that I must count 6 as an hour and 7 as an hour giving from 6 to 7 being two hours. We're not counting hours. We are counting FROM an hour to the nth hour (or generation to the nth generation).

So the person who wrote Mathew clearly counted wrong.

Tagged.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
Helloplite said:
happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:

[...]

1@bold. You can't say that. If I report you you're going to get banned, and I want to talk. Stop pegging me in a pigeonhole. What does it matter what religion I believe, I don't have an agenda, I simply trust more the bible than the naturalistic sources you trust. I'm not gonna report you this time but seriously stop.

2@No science backing intelligent design. Do you realize that creation.com is a site filled with a plethora of scientific articles using modern science to explain what they believe to be biblical phenomenon which can be explained by science? In other words, they try to hold the bible accountable to modern-day science. It's not pseudo-science I've gone over this with you a million times. Have you even read some of their articles?

3@Contradictions. I went through your list and there were not many NT ones. The contradictions of the NT I skimmed over were "Scarlet" rather than "Purple" for Christ's robe, or "Vinegar" versus "Wine with myrrh", stuff that makes the sources even MORE credible as these are eye-witness accounts.

And again, I asked for other historical texts that support each other as much. You still haven't provided any.

4@Evolution keeps changing its tune. Are you seriously saying that evolution got it right the first time and didn't change since Darwin?

2: Have you ever read an actual scientific article? Not, a summary of an article on FOX; not a report of an article from a second-hand non-scientific magazine or website; not something posted on a forum, but an actual scientific article? Do you even understand what peer-review is? (no, that 'article' on creation.com, which simply resorts to accusations is neither a correct representation of peer-review, nor is it an unbiased critique of it) 

To know 'pseudo'-science, you must be able to understand 'actual' science. Science does not tell you the truth. Science employs reason in order to present empirical facts, as we understand and interpret them right now. Science is in many circumstances an (informed) opinion, and quite often its findings are very precise and narrow, and open to re-examination. Science 'facts' can be re-established (or disproven) by conducting independent experiments or research, and these new tests/re-evaluations can be performed by anyone who has a firm grasp of both theory and methodology of the topic at hand. The methodology implemented has to be explained, verified and defended in each and every academic article published.

3: There are contradictions in nearly every historical book. History was not always a science, and in fact even today's historiography struggles to become a science (I would know, as I have studied the field at postgraduate level). There are attempts to implement scientific checks and rigorous peer-review but the fact remains that history is a difficult beast and verges on the point between being an elaborate art-form, and a true scientific topic with appropriate methodologies. What makes you think that 'history' of so many thousand years ago is able to stand rigorous review and analysis? We are barely able to 'argue' the history of Cold War from a scientific/historiographic perspective, let alone be able to verify the historicity of a book that is marginally 'historical' in the first place. Humans have always told stories of the past. The methodologies they used to pass them on have always been questionable, and even today there is huge debate among historians on what constitutes correct methodology in their field. Mythologies from everywhere tend to have historical information that we can extract. Yet, of all the mythological texts, it is the Bible that people most often try to prove or disprove its' historicity.

4: There is no right or wrong in science. Only new information and experiments that may amend or overturn the past. Science does not come from the same place. Not all scientists agree on everything. Science is a process, not a result. Science does not tell or try to tell you 'the truth'. Science is a rational procedure, it is not infallible and may indeed change over time. Freud was still speaking of 'female hysteria', and of course modern psychology completely rejects this concept and notion. This does not invalidate neither Freud nor modern psychology. The diference of science and religion is that science is actually made by thousands of people, with different agendas, different opinions, different backgrounds. Their research is published and is available for any other scientist to review, comment or dispute. If a scientific article is ground-breaking, it will be cited more often, leading to new edits, changes and improvements -- by the original author or team of authors, or by an altogether different team. A new team may even succesfully dispute and negate previous research. Nothing is set on stone.

Religion would instead try to defend the inclusion of 'female hysteria', and attempt to interpret the meaning behind the use of the term. The problem here being, of course, that 'old information' is always interpreted in light of 'new information', in such a way as to always maintain the validity of the old information. It is this forced interpretation that causes all the trouble. Religion is not a science, exactly because religion is infallible.

You can write a PhD on the historical mistakes of science and the philosophy of the scientific method, and it would still be a scientific piece of work, open to peer-review and discussion. Science is not infallible, and it is not a single, unified position on the cosmos. It is merely our current understanding of tiny, extremely particular aspects of it, as we have interpreted from experiment, rational thinking and observation. It is always a case of 'what we know now', based on all available information.

Excuse me, but all that stuff you just wrote I’m not sure I agree with any of it. I mean, how can you make a statement like “There is no right or wrong in science.” Really? So you trying to tell me that the law of gravitation or even Einstein's conversion of mass to energy is neither right nor wrong or what about the chemical formula for water?

Anyways, you said “There are contradictions in nearly every historical book”, well put your money where your mouth is. Maybe you want to take up the challenge laid down here in finding contradictions in the historical books called the New Testament of the bible. I’ve already said there are NO contradictions in the NT, and I have yet to see anyone here prove otherwise. Do you think you can find any significant contradictions in the NT since you claim that “There are contradictions in nearly every historical book”?

Fifaguy360 said:
DaRev said:
Fifaguy360 said:
DaRev said:
Fifaguy360 said:
DaRev said:
Fifaguy360 said:
DaRev said:
happydolphin said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

This dude obviously didn't read the sourse he quoted. Just taking the first purported contradiction i.e. "1)How many generations were there between Abraham to David?  Matthew 1:17 lists fourteen generations.  Matthew 1:12-16 lists thirteen generations." If he had read the Bible he would see that while Mat 1:17 does say that there were 14 generations between Abraham and David, Mat 1:12-16 lists the generation after that time, i.e. after David, and clearly states in Mat 1:12 that "And after they were brought to Babylon,...", mean those (13? I didn't count) generations were after the Abraham to David generations.

I didn't read the rest of the "contradictions" because the author clearly stumbled out of the gate with his point. Try again...please

It says from Abraham to David are fourteen generations. There are only twelve from Abraham to David listed.

Also it says from "from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generation"...but it's thirteen ....then thirteen again for the last count.

The author(of the website) made a mistake in quotation there, but you will see the discrepancy if you just read it yourself.

you don't know what "generation" means, but as a tip, try not to miss Abraham and Davaid thenselves. Plus the bible quotes generations FROM not generations BETWEEN. In any event here they are: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and brothers, Perez (and Zerah), Hezron, Ram, Amminadob, Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz, Obed, Jesse, and David.

You're saying FROM Abraham to Isaac is two generations? FROM 1 to 2 is 2 numbers?

For arguments sake I'll roll with your answer. From David to the exile of Babylon would be 15 generations if we include David and Jeconiah.

Just a reminder. Counting generations as suggested by the text gives 12, 13, 13. Your way gives 14, 15, 15. We're trying to reconcile with 14, 14, 14.

Matthew 1:17 counts David in two generations. This is because Matthew 1 not only lists the geneology of Jesus but also list HISTORICAL periods in the jewish ancestry. As I said before, the book of Matthew was written for Jeewish sensibilities, so while the geneology of Jesus is important, it is also more imporrtant for JEWS to undertsand the geneology's historical context. You don't just read the words on the page of the Bible, you also need to understand their significance, i.e. the geneology of Jesus might also be a historical account of fact when Israel was taking into captivity. Plus I'm surre there is some prophesy being fullflied in there if you can take the time to study WHEN they went into captivity.

1. The history of Israel from Abraham to David: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and brothers, Perez (and Zerah), Hezron, Ram, Amminadob, Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz, Obed, Jesse, and David. That’s 14 generations from Abraham to David. We don’t count Zerah as he is the same generation as Perez.
  2. From David to deportation to Babylon: David, Solomon, Rehoboam, Abijah, Asa, Jehoshaphat, Joram, Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, Manasseh, Amon, Josiah. That’s 14 generations. Notice that the passage says: “from David to the deportation.” Therefore, David is considered the first generation in the deportation.
  3. From Babylon to the time of Jesus: Jeconiah, Shealtial, Zerubbabel, Abiud, Elikim, Azor, Zadok, Achim, Eljud, Eleazar, Matthan, Jacob, Joseph, Jesus. 14 generations.

In #2, why aren't you counting Jeconiah? He was definitely there at exile listed as Josiah's son.

Also from Abraham to Isaac is one generation. Not two. You can't include Abraham because he's point zero. Keyword is from. From 6 o'clock to 7 o'clock is only 1 hour.

What were talking about here are CONTRADICTIONS in the NT. What we are not talking about is whether the Bible can count properly. With that said, Matthew 1:17 CLEARLY states that it counts the generation of Daid twice:

17 Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah.

Whether you think that is silly or not is irrelivant, as there is no CONTRADICTION because the passage of scripture tells us how it is made up those 42 (not 41) historical (not necessarilly counting) generations. What you should now go and do, is to find out what is the SIGNIFICANCE of counting David's generation twice

It doesn't count David twice and it doesn't count Abraham and you're not counting Jeconiah twice based on your approach either. You're not understanding the from and to business here.

From 6 oclock to 7 oclock is 1 hour, but you're telling me that I must count 6 as an hour and 7 as an hour giving from 6 to 7 being two hours. We're not counting hours. We are counting FROM an hour to the nth hour (or generation to the nth generation).

So the person who wrote Mathew clearly counted wrong.

Dude, I’m not telling you how to count, I’m sure you can count very well. What I’m saying is the text in the bible that you claim is contradictory is not simply because it DOES mention David’s generation twice. – look it’s there in black and white, and bold. You can count fine, but your reading and comprehension appears to be really messed up.

Oh and @ bold,...well, yeah, maybe, but that doesn't make it a CONTRADICTION!

Can't watch it from my work.....from what I gather the interviewer was just flatout poor in her job.

But I am curious why a Muslim would be writing about Jesus. Perhaps its that "wacky" aspect that will make this one a standout from other Jesus related texts.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

DaRev said:

They all have an answer when you take the time to look at them. It's just that most hearts are rebellious so the first reaction is to say "It's FALSE!". Hopefully if there is a sensible ear and we put in the hard work, all this stuff can be cleared up. I'm pretty sure a response page with simple and outlined responses to these contradictions exists somewhere.

happydolphin said:
DaRev said:

They all have an answer when you take the time to look at them. It's just that most hearts are rebellious so the first reaction is to say "It's FALSE!". Hopefully if there is a sensible ear and we put in the hard work, all this stuff can be cleared up. I'm pretty sure a response page with simple and outlined responses to these contradictions exists somewhere.

Yep, keep fighting the good fight dude, as I'm sure one of these dudes must be listening to the truth.