By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One To Release In Kinect-Less Bundle in 2014 - Rumor

Inside Gaming Daily

An anonymous source familiar with the matter has confirmed to Inside Gaming that the Xbox One will release in a bundle without a Kinect in Summer 2014.

In fact, there will be two such bundles. One “normal” Kinect-less bundle and another “budget” bundle with a smaller hard drive. The budget Xbox One will undercut the PlayStation 4′s price.

With the PlayStation 4 selling for $400, the budget Xbox One model may retail for $350 or $375.

This contradicts Microsoft’s repeated implication that the Xbox One won’t function without a Kinect attached, but it’s sounding more and more like that’s a bit of PR smoke just to get the Kinect in people’s homes. According this post on the Xbox Wire regarding the Kinect’s privacy, the Kinect’s functionality can be completely paused and “when the system is off, it’s only listening for the single voice command — ‘Xbox On,’ and you can even turn that feature off too.”

This approach to selling the Xbox One makes a lot of sense, primarily because early adopters will buy the system no matter what, with little regard for bundles or prices.

That being the case, why wouldn’t Microsoft release a Kinect bundle first? It will only get more Kinects in more homes, giving Microsoft more leverage to ask developers to make Kinect-centric games and features.

Once Microsoft has sold all the $500 bundles they can, they can then release a cheaper bundle. In this way, they sell as many units as possible at a higher price point before giving consumers the option to pay less.

This approach diverges from Microsoft’s strategy with the Xbox 360. That platform launched with “Premium” and “Core” skus at the same time in late 2005, with the first price cut coming in mid 2007.

By releasing additional skus at lower prices in mid 2014, Microsoft would ostensibly be spurring unit sales for a large exclusive title in late 2014. The easy guess there would be the platform’s emblematic series Halo.

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2013/07/23/xbox-one-to-release-in-kinect-less-bundle-in-2014/

Around the Network

No no no! This will ruin the Xbox One.

I hope it is not true.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

BasilZero said:
Damn, Kinect going back in time confirmed @ thread title.

Someone else did post Microsoft was working on a time machine.  Looks like they have succeded!

Is this nothing that company can't do!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

well this sucks now that some of us have accepted the extra cost of xbox one i wanted to see some good kinect games which the developers tried due to mandatory

But I already have an Xbox 1 sans Kinect from 2004...

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

replacing kniect with a time flux capacitor

More 180? This can happen if the sales are not good.

This rumor doesn't sound remotely trustworthy. It's counter productive in more ways than I can count.

Zappykins said:
BasilZero said:
Damn, Kinect going back in time confirmed @ thread title.

Someone else did post Microsoft was working on a time machine.  Looks like they have succeded!

Is this nothing that company can't do!

Kinect 2.0 now comes with included time machine, a must have.

snyps said:
replacing kniect with a time flux capacitor

This man has been seen at MS Head Quarters