By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 78.2 million Xbox 360 sold.

riderz13371 said:
Zappykins said:
riderz13371 said:

Y u say dis...

I don't know, I guess cause it's true.

Oh, the gloating, all the gloating that has been going on, the massive gloating, has all been faked!

But they should look at it this way, they will get to gloat all over again soon - maybe.  But it will be diminished because Xbox 360 is about to pass Wii in North America, and there will probably be a X360 price cut in the near future.  They will not like that one bit, but say some thing about 'gaming in North America' it isn't important or 'true gaming.'

You do realize the 77m units for PS3 this article talks about is VERY old right? It uses an article from January 10th lolz...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps3-overtakes-xbox-360-in-worldwide-shipments-report-6402214

Includes PS2 shipments.

Around the Network
Seece said:
riderz13371 said:
Zappykins said:
riderz13371 said:

Y u say dis...

Oh, the gloating, all the gloating that has been going on, the massive gloating, has all been faked!

But they should look at it this way, they will get to gloat all over again soon - maybe.  But it will be diminished because Xbox 360 is about to pass Wii in North America, and there will probably be a X360 price cut in the near future.  They will not like that one bit, but say some thing about 'gaming in North America' it isn't important or 'true gaming.'

You do realize the 77m units for PS3 this article talks about is VERY old right? It uses an article from January 10th lolz...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps3-overtakes-xbox-360-in-worldwide-shipments-report-6402214

Includes PS2 shipments.

January 10 2013.

brendude13 said:
Why has the Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million and the PS3 0 million in the same time frame?

Exactly my thought, whoever wrote this article, is completely stupid or looking for clicks.

riderz13371 said:
Seece said:
riderz13371 said:
Zappykins said:
riderz13371 said:

Y u say dis...

Includes PS2 shipments.

January 10 2013.

Yeah it's from IDC.

Unless you think PS2 went from selling 600k in one quater, to nothing for 3 consecutive quaters including a holiday one, then PS3 was not at 77m in January.

4k1x3r said:
brendude13 said:
Why has the Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million and the PS3 0 million in the same time frame?

Exactly my thought, whoever wrote this article, is completely stupid or looking for clicks.

Leave Eddie alone D: He already got too much bullying in Gamespot xD

Around the Network
pezus said:
Seece said:

Yeah it's from IDC.

Unless you think PS2 went from selling 600k in one quater, to nothing for 3 consecutive quaters including a holiday one, then PS3 was not at 77m in January.

To be fair, PS2 shipments do not increase in holiday quarters anymore. Still, we are talking two quarters of shipments here. One of which had PS3+PS2 shipments around 3m if memory serves me right...

We've had 4 q's now of PS3 + PS2 combined figures.

Mar 2012 - PS3 LTD 63.9m
June 2012 - PS3/PS2, 2.8m
Sep 2012 - PS3/PS2, 3.5m
Dec 2012 - PS3/PS2, 6.8m (77m)
Mar 2013 - PS3/PS2, 3.4m

You're right PS2 fluctuates through the year, the 4 q's before Sony started combining look like this.

June 2011 - 1.4m
Sep 2011 - 1.2m
Dec 2011 - 0.9m
Mar 2012 - 0.6m

So obviously it was on a downward trend, it was still selling hundreds of k each Q though. And Mar 2013 is obviously a big portion of PS2's, likely to do with PS2 being discontinued and Sony counting future? stock or some other metric.

That and you need to take into account what PS3 did the previous year when trying to figure out what PS2 has done.

pezus said:
Seece said:

We've had 4 q's now of PS3 + PS2 combined figures.

Mar 2012 - PS3 LTD 63.9m
June 2012 - PS3/PS2, 2.8m
Sep 2012 - PS3/PS2, 3.5m
Dec 2012 - PS3/PS2, 6.8m (77m)
Mar 2013 - PS3/PS2, 3.4m

You're right PS2 fluctuates through the year, the 4 q's before Sony started combining look like this.

June 2011 - 1.4m
Sep 2011 - 1.2m
Dec 2011 - 0.9m
Mar 2012 - 0.6m

So obviously it was on a downward trend, it was still selling hundreds of k each Q though. And Mar 2013 is obviously a big portion of PS2's, likely to do with PS2 being discontinued and Sony counting future? stock or some other metric.

Yes. Even if we assume 1m of the 3.4m were PS2s, that would leave 2.4m for PS3. This quarter could have another 1.5-2m (haven't studied the numbers enough). That is around 4m or more (most likely) this year alone, while MS only shipped 2.3m. That's a PS3 advantage of 1.6-2.1m this year. It's not hard to see that PS3 should be comfortably ahead by now.

PS3 has never done more than 2.2m in Q1, given sales were down across the globe (actually not sure for Europe) PS3 didn't ship 2.4m in Q1.

But yes it's obviously very close either way, Sony will either say something with these upcoming financials, or the ones ending September.

Good numbers.

NintendoPie said:
I wonder if this is actually shipped or sold. I'm leaning towards the shipped side of things, though.

I only wonder because, if these are sold numbers, then PS3 and 360 would be neck and neck according to VGC.

Its always "shipped" sir.... always. (unless its directly quoting regional bean counters like NPD, etc)

superchunk said:

Its always "shipped" sir.... always. (unless its directly quoting regional bean counters like NPD, etc)

Then I guess it doesn't matter anymore.