By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - HD Consoles just bouncing back from Christmas (Wii 50% of Market??)

GTA4 is a casual game , deny it all you want , but 10-15million (or more) copies sold per game clearly can only be achieved by a mass market title with much casual appeal - ofcourse hardcore gamers love it aswell

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Hahaha, wow people on this board are amazingly blind, do you really think that GTA 4 will do anything more than a temporary bump in sales, its a game that is split across two consoles purchased by the same gamers who own a 360 and PS3 right now.

Wii not crossing 50% is utterly moronic even now, even with severely restrained supply, Wii is selling more than 50% of the market, you really think that will suddenly stop because of one game?

PS3 and 360 won't even reach 45 Million combined by the end of 2008, Wii will have over 50% of the market

So, much like SSBB and SMG then? The hardware spikes upon "core" game launches give a pretty fair testament to a console's install base and their preference, and based on that it looks like very many Wii owners are in fact "core" gamers.

'waits for lol followed by some very obscure reason why my logic is flawed, as always'

Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Hahaha, wow people on this board are amazingly blind, do you really think that GTA 4 will do anything more than a temporary bump in sales, its a game that is split across two consoles purchased by the same gamers who own a 360 and PS3 right now.

Wii not crossing 50% is utterly moronic even now, even with severely restrained supply, Wii is selling more than 50% of the market, you really think that will suddenly stop because of one game?

PS3 and 360 won't even reach 45 Million combined by the end of 2008, Wii will have over 50% of the market

So, much like SSBB and SMG then? The hardware spikes upon "core" game launches give a pretty fair testament to a console's install base and their preference, and based on that it looks like very many Wii owners are in fact "core" gamers.

Actually Mummel, you may be right, I would wait a few weeks before saying one way or the other, but you may be right about Wii gamers being more core than believed, however a large portion are not core, so Wii actively taps from both markets

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Actually I would say that SSBB is a perfect and first fitting example of how much a Wii title could sell Wii consoles. I can't recall Wiis being in high enough supply to get much of a increase in sales in one shot - we just hope that there IS a supply when SSBB is released, at least in the US, to see how much it spikes Wii hardware sales.

If it's sold out too much, we won't have a really good measurement until..... maybe Mario Kart? But that's not nearly as big of a release.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Around the Network

Nope... Not going to happen. There will be a shift in gamers wants and needs when more great games come out on both the 360 and PS3 (especially the PS3, there are lots of PS2 owners waiting for that "killer" game to come out.)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

I would say going into the holiday '08 probably November.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

If PS3 are bumped by even 100k in one week due to GTAIV, it would, imo, be a considerable bump for PS3 in one week, or even one month... infact, 250k is unrealistic, but a HUGE bump... yet in the grand scheme of things, 250k out of the already all-three console base of nearly 50 million between them, .25 out of 50 is nothing overall.

Yeah, it could bump heavily, but as you state, temporary bump.  If you sold double time, PS3 would -still- take 2 years to catch up, if not way longer.

I think you're more correct than others give you. 

This week's estaimates are already at  almost 60% of the consoles sold for the week - 60% each week is a good way of making an overall 50% at some point.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

People are giving a bit too much credit to how much GTA 4 will move hardware, imo.. i mean.. lets say it moves an extra 2 million hardware on EACH of the consoles during its launch period (before being regulated back to normal sales) ... ok..so thats 4 million (most optimistic scenario for hardware moving, i'd say).. then what? wii will still be outselling them both together right after that dies down.. and although nintendos marketshare will take a fairly big hit, probably about 5%.. but then it'll just start building up again slowly.. then we'll be having the same discussion in 12 months when MGS4 or FFXIII come out

I agree, and believe, that Smash Bros isn't going to raise console sales that much.. perhaps it'll double usual weekly sales for one week (not optimistically).. since most (but not all, probably like halo 3 to xbox 360, but with a different sales trend) of the smash crowd already own wiis...

That said.. Mario Kart and Wii Fit.. those two are the software titles that are going to bring in the masses, and they won't push wii up to 50%, but they will be a big step in pretty much nullifying a lot of the effect GTA4s launch had

This post is purely speculative, but i feel i've made pretty fair calls

Never, the wii supply will eventually catch up to demand and price drops for the PS3 and 360 will steal more market share.