By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "Sony cut the PS3 price twice" line is getting old... Read and find out why

the ps3 is public enemy number 1 around here. i love it!

hate it or love it people, playstation is here to stay.

Around the Network

Yes, I'm the devil mod! BOOYAH!

Sadly I agree... minus the sarcasm

This has gotten amusing.

A large portion of why people believe there has been 2 price reductions is because Sony (and the gaming press) sold the introduction of the 80GB (and reduction in price of the 60GB) and the introduction of the 40GB as price reductions.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Oy, I knew Sony fans were getting thin skinned but it's getting ridiculous. If this is the kind of thing that get them riled up, it's going to be a long ass year.

Man, if I could have the ability to defy logic as some fanbots - especially the ones who call me a Xbot even though I have all 3 consoles ... dang. I would rule the world. I would find myself in the electronic section of a Wal-Mart telling folks buying an HD DVD player and a 360 is in the same league as sacrificing a baby to the devil.

I can count on you for some really cool comments ... 

DKII said:
It doesn't really matter how many price cuts there were. In the end, the price has dropped $100 with a re-shuffling of the included features.

This is a good point.

The difference between this and what DMeisterJ is saying:

DKII is saying it doesn't matter if they cut the price $25 then $25 then $25 then $25 (4 price cuts; yes, this is a hypothetical situation) or if they cut the price $100 once, what matters is how much the price was cut in total.

And yes, DMeisterJ, I also agree with you that the total price cut was $100 (with features changed), not $200. This is really what your point is, and I agree with you. I admit that I somehow did not realize this before.

Systems owned: Nintendo 64, GameCube, Xbox 360, Atari 7800, Genesis, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS.

Year-end predictions (April 6, 2008):

• DS: 94 million (96.0)
  • Wii: 46 million (44.4)
  • PSP: 45 million (43.6)
  • X360: 27 million (27.3)
  • PS3: 24 million (19.4)
  • PS2: 124 million (123.7)
HappySqurriel said:
A large portion of why people believe there has been 2 price reductions is because Sony (and the gaming press) sold the introduction of the 80GB (and reduction in price of the 60GB) and the introduction of the 40GB as price reductions.

Ahhh but therein lies the difference between the average American consumer and fanboys. Besides $200 price drop is a lot easier to write than:

The PS3 launched with 2 levels at price points of $500 and $600 dollars, one of them either wasn't popular or vastly under produced and consequently sold poorly resulting in it's discontinuation. Then a new model was introduced and the current $600 model was reduced in cost $100. When this sold out the new model was dropped $100. Then a new new model at an even lower price point of $400 was introduced.

And it's a $200 price drop because people weren't really buying the 20gb either due to lack of stock, poor advertising of it or because it was deformed at birth. Basically it would be equivalent to MS selling a 10gb at the old core system price and claiming no price drop had occurred, true but total crap as far as customers are concerned.

I don't think anyone has said that they reduced price by $200 agabara, point me to a thread if I'm wrong.

What the common argument is, is that Sony had two price cuts to increase demand. The fact that both SKU's are now $100 cheaper has little to no relevance in my eyes. The argument is how many times the price was reduced, so you can't turn around and say what matters is the price, as that was not the argument put forth to begin with.

DOATS1 said:
the ps3 is public enemy number 1 around here. i love it!

hate it or love it people, playstation is here to stay.

I think you and several other sony fanboys are just a bit paranoid.  I've been saying for months that the PS3 has been improving.

Anyways, nobody credible on this site has said the PS3 is going away.   So not sure what you're trying to say.

Actually I think you (and to a lesser extent DMiesterJ) are doing a wonderful job of proving FishyJoe's point. 

To Each Man, Responsibility