By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - New thread up soon!

Wright said:
crissindahouse said:

There is not only one JRPG on 360 except for Final Fantasy which XBO will also get which sold over 1m copies,

3 Dark Souls X360 2011 Role-Playing Namco Bandai Games 0.60 0.26 0.00 0.08 0.94

Add digital sales throughout its whole lifespawn and voila!

I'm obviously talking about VGC numbers and Dark Souls still comes to XBO, no reason to complain about  a game which comes to XBO that it doesn't come. Not to forget that Dark Souls is also interesting for many who don't really care about JRPGs. I said that yesterday already, it's almost like an own genre for many. 

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

I'm obviously talking about VGC numbers and Dark SOuls still comes to XBO, no reason to complain about  agame which comes to XBO that it doesn't come.

The point I'm trying to make is that people is interested in JRPGs. You don't have to make all JRPGs like they are Neptunia games; so there's a point in investing in those others.

Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, it's not really a JRPG. It's a WRPG made in Japan.

So a JRPG :P

Wright said:
crissindahouse said:

I'm obviously talking about VGC numbers and Dark SOuls still comes to XBO, no reason to complain about  agame which comes to XBO that it doesn't come.

The point I'm trying to make is that people is interested in JRPGs. You don't have to make all JRPGs like they are Neptunia games; so there's a point in investing in those others.

Yes, it's always the same few million people interested in JRPGs, that's my point. Like I said in my post, 227 games sold over one million units on 360 and FF is the only JRPG and this will still come to XBO, I absolutely don't see how JRPGs on 360 were so popular if the second best selling JRPG sold less as maybe 250 other games on 360.

Japanese devs can release theri games on XBO, if they are really profitable why not, right? But don't expect MS investing big in this genre, it just doesn't make sense for MS. 

Ka-pi96 said:

Nope. Since JRPG is a genre of game not just the place it was made. There's been a few western developed JRPGs on kickstarter recently as well, it's all about the style not the country of origin.

I don't agree. :P

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

I absolutely don't see how JRPGs on 360 were so popular if the second best selling JRPG sold less as maybe 250 other games on 360.

Because these kind of games don't need millions of audience. Deadly Premonition sold 250k units and that was enough for the developer to make an Xbox One exclusive game, and for MS to make a deal with him, just to name an example.

Persona 4 Arena sold like crap on 360, and it still was enough for Atlus to bother puting the sequel, Ultimax, on 360 as well.

SUDA51's games bombed like hell but he still bothered puting games on 360. Not anymore as Sony made a deal with him for Let it Die.

Depending on how much does it take to develop the JRPG in question, you evaluate the amount of consumers you need.

Alternatively, do you think MS should invest in Sunset Overdrive 2?

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

I don't agree. :P

If you think country of origin is the only difference then why even call them JRPGs since they are the exact same as any other RPGs just made in a different country?

Because RPGs made in Japan tend to be better than those made in the western countries.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

Because RPGs made in Japan tend to be better than those made in the western countries.

But why? Just because they are made in Japan? Or because you prefer that style of game more?

Because they are made in Japan.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

Because they are made in Japan.

I'll remember this for the next time a crappy JRPG is released

"Tend to be better" is the key of my statement, though. :P

But crappy JRPGs > crappy WRPGs. It's like Futurama and The Simpsoms, despite being made by the same guy.

Wright said:
crissindahouse said:

I absolutely don't see how JRPGs on 360 were so popular if the second best selling JRPG sold less as maybe 250 other games on 360.

Because these kind of games don't need millions of audience. Deadly Premonition sold 250k units and that was enough for the developer to make an Xbox One exclusive game, and for MS to make a deal with him, just to name an example.

Persona 4 Arena sold like crap on 360, and it still was enough for Atlus to bother puting the sequel, Ultimax, on 360 as well.

SUDA51's games bombed like hell but he still bothered puting games on 360. Not anymore as Sony made a deal with him for Let it Die.

Depending on how much does it take to develop the JRPG in question, you evaluate the amount of consumers you need.

Alternatively, do you think MS should invest in Sunset Overdrive 2?

Like I said, if these games are profitable with a few hundred k in sales then these japanese devs should simply release their games on XBO. Many don't seem to want it, whatever their reason is and who knows what you have to pay such a dev to work on an exclusive on XBO if they don't really seem to like to work for it. 

In which games MS should invest is always a question from their perspective, as gamer I would want them to invest 10 billion per year so that we get so many games we could never play. I can't tell you if MS should invest in SO2, I am not MS and don't have their numbers, I don't see if that investment was helpful or if it will only mean that even more investors and people at MS will say how useless investing in Xbox is.

What I can say about higher sales of games is that higher sales of a game means more people are interested in it which means more people are happy about the development of such a game as about a game which will sell less. There is no question that you can make at least one person happy with almost every game but that doesn't mean that you should invest in every game. 

Now my question, development of one game not a JRPG costs x, development of three JRPGs costs also x, the non-JRPG will sell 3m to 3m people and the three JRPGs would sell 600k each to 1.2 million different people. Where do we see more happy players? (don't take this too serious)