By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - New thread up soon!

TITANFALL PLAYER COUNT REVEALED

By: Julian Solonoski | January 7th, 2014

Earlier today Vince Zampella, founder of Respawn Entertainment, took to Twitter to answer a question about the player count for Titanfall. The fan asked Zampella to reveal what the player count would be to which he responded that Titanfall will support a maximum of six players on each team. He states this is to compensate for the AI soldiers featured in certain gamemodes. Players hoping for large Titan battles will have to settle for smaller matches.

Update: Respawn employee gives insight on 6v6 for Titanfall via NeoGAF

Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I’d suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right – we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we’re not the experience they’re after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you’ll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can’t take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode – meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we’ve got “bots” when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI – AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can’t wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.

Previously at events, Titanfall matches were played in a 6v6 setting, and this is the first confirmation that this will be the max player count come March. What do you think about this news? Discuss it on our forums!

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Titanfall will be 6 vs 6 max + AI:

Sounds perfect to me. After playing 32 and 64 player battles in the current and next-gen versions of Battlefield 4 I feel like that's too much. Looks like there'll probably be around 24 pilots on the map (12 player, 12 AI) plus a few Titans.

It is perfect to me as well as I prefer tactical cooridore shooters rather than open space like BF.  Ive had this conversation alot with my friends in the past but BF has a big problem when it comes to the scale.  While it is a positive to have the freedom you do in BF it also has issues like people sitting somewhere way int he back of the map with a sniper.  

They had to nerf the sniper because of this with the glared scope and weaker shots.  This makes the sniper realitively meh  because of this

Anyways both formats are pretty coold if you ask me with both having their pros and cons. I would go more into this but Id probably write a page about it lol  I love competitive shooters xD

Again the AI isnt what people are thinking though.  There is an item in TitanFall that allows you to hack into AI bots and get them to fight alongside with you.  When you kill them you get a fraction of the points as an actual kill.  I also dont believe it counts towards your kill count.

Im actually surprised this was even a question.  It is so similar to CoD and Halo with the cooridore shooting format that it surprises me that anybody could think it was going to be more players.  As I said in the other thread i wouldnt mind if they had a game mde for 12v12 but it isnt a big deal to me as long as it fits with the maps.

In this thread people have complained about how much of VGC acts. There is a Best user of the Year Tournament going on guys. It would be good time for you all to promote who you all think is good members on this site http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=175656&page=1#

This round is specially tough. I really like Pezus, PS3-Sales!, Seece, and Wright.

Anyways, have fun guys.

Pre-orders January 4th

PosGameWeeks to LaunchWeekly ChangeTotal
Destiny (PS4)
Activision, Action
N/A 2,452 207,563
Titanfall (XOne)
Electronic Arts, Shooter
10 11,622 188,439
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Ubisoft, Action
N/A 4,651 176,642
Destiny (XOne)
Activision, Action
N/A 10,207 176,034
inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Action
11 8,395 166,581
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
Square Enix, Role-Playing
6 9,150 148,078
Watch Dogs (XOne)
Ubisoft, Action
N/A 2,890 143,286
Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
11 3,851 135,276
Dark Souls II (PS3)
Namco Bandai Games, Action
10 4,924 128,653
South Park: The Stick of Truth (X360)
Ubisoft, Role-Playing
9 2,661 113,975
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3)
Namco Bandai Games, Role-Playing
8 3,949 110,248
South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
Ubisoft, Role-Playing
9 2,668 101,220
The Order (PS4)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Shooter
N/A 3,495 96,604
Watch Dogs (X360)
Ubisoft, Action
N/A 1,287 93,919
Watch Dogs (PS3)
Ubisoft, Action
N/A 2,010 88,897
Kinect Sports Rivals (XOne)
Microsoft Game Studios, Sports
N/A 2,299 88,891
Destiny (X360)
Activision, Action
N/A 3,095 88,884
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (3DS)
Nintendo, Role-Playing
5 14,523 87,445
Dark Souls II (X360)
Namco Bandai Games, Action
10 5,105 86,763
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
Nintendo, Platform
7 5,251 72,767
The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
Bethesda Softworks, Action
13 1,249 71,938
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (X360)
6 3,700 67,838
Driveclub (PS4)
Sony Computer Entertainment, Racing
13 2,229 67,651
The Sims 4 (PC)
Electronic Arts, Action
N/A 3,098 59,648
Dying Light (PS4)
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Action
N/A 4,597 58,358
Titanfall (PC)
Electronic Arts, Shooter
10 1,163 55,707
Titanfall (X360)
Electronic Arts, Shooter
10 2,148 48,883
Wii Fit U (WiiU)
Nintendo, Action
1 48,032 48,032
Halo 5 (XOne)
Microsoft Game Studios, Shooter
N/A 1,993 44,901
Watch Dogs (PC)
Ubisoft, Action
N/A 580 43,418

Respawn Talking about The Cloud and TitanFall. Little Old but if you all are curious to what theyre doing with it.

Let’s talk about the Xbox Live Cloud

Posted by Jon Shiring on Jun 24, 2013
Filed in News

Hi everyone! I’m Jon Shiring, and I’m an engineer working with the Cloud technology that you’ve heard about for Respawn’s game Titanfall. I have seen a lot of confusion online and I think it’s worth explaining more about what we’re doing on Titanfall and also more generally about Cloud computing and dedicated servers.

First, let’s take a step back and dive into the common multiplayer design and talk about why Dedicated Servers are better.

Player-Hosted Servers

The vast majority of games will pick a player and have them act as the server for the match. This means that all of the other players talk to them to decide what happens in a game. When you shoot your gun, the server decides if that is allowed and then tells everyone what you hit. Let’s agree to call this system “player-hosted” for simplicity.

What kinds of problems do you get with player-hosted servers?

What if one player has great bandwidth, but it’s laggy? Games are having to choose between different player hosts, and have to make hard decisions about which one should be the host, with two different measurements – bandwidth and latency. Sometimes it will pick a host who has good bandwidth, but whose latency isn’t ideal. But we don’t want the game to make compromises on lag and we really want the game to feel the same every time we play. We really don’t want to worry about this stuff – we just want to play and have the game feel good.

What about host advantage? The player-host has the game running locally on their machine, so they get super low latency access to the game world. You’ve probably seen this in action as some player seems to see you long before you get to see them or their bullets hit you before yours hit them. That sucks. Nobody should have an artificial advantage in a competitive multiplayer game.

What if the player-host is a cheater? Since the host gets to make decisions about kills, XP, and unlocks and such, it’s really bad if they abuse their power to wipe out your stats, or they cheat by flying around maps and insta-killing people. It’s infuriating, in fact.

What if the host disconnects? In the “best case” for this, you can do host migration if there’s another player who has enough bandwidth and everyone else can talk to them. If you hit that jackpot, you can migrate from the old host to the new one, which pauses the game and then unpauses when the new player-host is ready to start acting as the server. This isn’t a fun process, and it can fail.

What if the host’s bandwidth disappears? The game tested the host’s bandwidth at some point and decided that they had enough to host. But someone at their house is now torrenting files and their roommate is streaming Netflix. That “great” bandwidth the game detected earlier is now awful bandwidth, and the other players are lagging halfway through a match.

What if some players can’t talk to the host? You know all that “Open NAT” stuff? Your home internet router is generally trying really hard to keep bad people out, and games are sort of a weird case where the game is trying to get your router to cooperate and let other players create connections INTO your network. Games need to check if every player can talk to the host and if one can’t then that host won’t work. It makes matchmaking slower, and we hate that. Also, by telling you to open up your router, the game is asking you to reduce the security of your home network in order to make the game work. It would be great if you didn’t have to compromise your security in order to play games.

What if nobody has enough bandwidth? You got a great group of players together, but nobody has enough bandwidth to actually host a game. You can work around this by compromising your matchmaking a little to make sure that each lobby has a player in it that can be a host. But we don’t actually want compromised matchmaking, so this isn’t a good fix.

What about players who are paying for their bandwidth or have bandwidth caps? If you have a bandwidth cap on your home internet connection, or even worse, you’re paying for your bandwidth, what happens when you play a game and later find out that the game thought you were an awesome host? Your home internet connection is now slow or you have a huge bill waiting.

So if I’m hosting, my machine is doing all this extra work on behalf of everyone else? Yes! You are doing more work on your CPU than all of the other players are. This means the game isn’t as cool looking as it could be and everyone else has extra CPU just sitting there. Or worse, their game actually looks better than yours! We think the game should be consistent on every machine in a match. Don’t punish the host with a worse game or leave all of that extra CPU sitting empty on the other players machines.
Okay, so player-hosted servers have a lot of downsides. So why do so many games use them? They have one really big upside – it doesn’t cost money to run the servers! Running hundreds of thousands of servers can be extremely expensive. EXTREMELY expensive. Like “oh my god we can’t afford that” expensive. So your player experience gets compromised to save (large amounts of) money.

Dedicated Servers

Dedicated servers are when a computer sitting out on the internet handles all of the host duties, leaving every client free to just be a client.

• You can get even more CPU on your dedicated servers to do new things like dozens of AI and giant autopilot titans!
  • Suddenly you have no more host advantage!
  • Bandwidth for the servers is guaranteed from the hosting provider!
  • You can use all of the available CPU and memory on the player machines for awesome visuals and audio!
  • Hacked-host cheating isn’t an issue!
  • Matchmaking can be lightning fast since it’s guaranteed that everyone can connect to your servers.
  • And since the servers aren’t going to go disconnect to watch Netflix, you don’t need to migrate hosts anymore!

The player experience is so much better. This sounds awesome!

But it costs a LOT of money.

This is something I have worked on for years now, since coming to Respawn. A developer like Respawn doesn’t have the kind of weight to get a huge price cut from places like Amazon or Rackspace. And we don’t have the manpower to manage literally hundreds-of-thousands of servers ourselves. We want to focus on making awesome games, not on becoming giant worldwide server hosting providers. The more time I can spend on making our actual game better, the more our players benefit.

I personally talked to both Microsoft and Sony and explained that we need to find a way to have potentially hundreds-of-thousands of dedicated servers at a price point that you can’t get right now. Microsoft realized that player-hosted servers are actually holding back online gaming and that this is something that they could help solve, and ran full-speed with this idea.

The Xbox group came back to us with a way for us to run all of these Titanfall dedicated servers and that lets us push games with more server CPU and higher bandwidth, which lets us have a bigger world, more physics, lots of AI, and potentially a lot more than that!

What is the Cloud?

Amazon has a cloud that powers websites. Sony has a cloud that streams game video so you can play a game that you don’t have on your machine. Now Xbox Live has a cloud that somehow powers games. Cloud doesn’t seem to actually mean anything anymore, or it has so many meanings that it’s useless as a marketing word.

Let me explain this simply: when companies talk about their cloud, all they are saying is that they have a huge amount of servers ready to run whatever you need them to run. That’s all.

So what is this Xbox Live Cloud stuff then?

Microsoft has a cloud service called Azure (it’s a real thing – you can go on their website right now and pay for servers and use them to run whatever you want). Microsoft realized that they could use that technology to solve our problem.

So they built this powerful system to let us create all sorts of tasks that they will run for us, and it can scale up and down automatically as players come and go. We can upload new programs for them to run and they handle the deployment for us. And they’ll host our game servers for other platforms, too! Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

But it’s not just for dedicated servers – Microsoft thought about our problem in a bigger way. Developers aren’t going to just want dedicated servers – they’ll have all kinds of features that need a server to do some kind of work to make games better. Look at Forza 5, which studies your driving style in order to create custom AI that behaves like you do. That’s totally different from what Titanfall uses it for, and it’s really cool! So it’s not accurate to say that the Xbox Live Cloud is simply a system for running dedicated servers – it can do a lot more than that.

How is this different from other dedicated servers?

With the Xbox Live Cloud, we don’t have to worry about estimating how many servers we’ll need on launch day. We don’t have to find ISPs all over the globe and rent servers from each one. We don’t have to maintain the servers or copy new builds to every server. That lets us focus on things that make our game more fun. And best yet, Microsoft has datacenters all over the world, so everyone playing our game should have a consistent, low latency connection to their local datacenter.

Most importantly to us, Microsoft priced it so that it’s far more affordable than other hosting options – their goal here is to get more awesome games, not to nickel-and-dime developers. So because of this, dedicated servers are much more of a realistic option for developers who don’t want to make compromises on their player experience, and it opens up a lot more things that we can do in an online game.

Wrapping up…

This is a really big deal, and it can make online games better. This is something that we are really excited about. The Xbox Live Cloud lets us to do things in Titanfall that no player-hosted multiplayer game can do. That has allowed us to push the boundaries in online multiplayer and that’s awesome. We want to try new ideas and let the player do things they’ve never been able to do before! Over time, I expect that we’ll be using these servers to do a lot more than just dedicated servers. This is something that’s going to let us drive all sorts of new ideas in online games for years to come.

I know this got pretty technical and long-winded, so I thank you for reading this far. Hopefully I’ve cleared some things up, and you can see why I’m so excited about what Microsoft has done here and how it is letting us do awesome new things for our game. I’ll see you online in the spring to play some Titanfall on our dedicated servers!

Around the Network

What happened to Destiny's PS4 numbers?

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-forbes-30-under-30

Grrr! So Mike Ybarra gave away a bunch of free games on Twitter just now and I tried going for one (I was all set up perfectly) and took about 3-4 seconds from the time the tweet was posted until Kinect recognized the code and I STILL didn't get it. What does it take?!

Ryuu96 said:
yo_john117 said:
Grrr! So Mike Ybarra gave away a bunch of free games on Twitter just now and I tried going for one (I was all set up perfectly) and took about 3-4 seconds from the time the tweet was posted until Kinect recognized the code and I STILL didn't get it. What does it take?!

Damn, I just checked, He gave out allot, They have been worried about bots taking them though, Maybe try the code ones instead on the scanning ones? You can enter codes on Xbox Smartglass aswell btw so it's faster than using the XB1 Controller, I saw about 3 or 4 Project Spark Beta codes been given away aswell yesterday 

How do you scan with smartglass? 

Still though someone grabbing the code in less than 3-4 seconds after it was posted is insane by any means.

Ryuu96 said:
yo_john117 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Damn, I just checked, He gave out allot, They have been worried about bots taking them though, Maybe try the code ones instead on the scanning ones? You can enter codes on Xbox Smartglass aswell btw so it's faster than using the XB1 Controller, I saw about 3 or 4 Project Spark Beta codes been given away aswell yesterday 

How do you scan with smartglass? 

Still though someone grabbing the code in less than 3-4 seconds after it was posted is insane by any means.

You can't scan with Smartglass, You can enter codes with Smartglass though, When he enters a code sometimes it has a missing letter or no missing ones at all so if you want you can just open Smartglass and quickly enter the code numbers/letters since sometimes he doesn't do the scan code ones

Ah OK, got it. I don't know though, I think I'm just going to give up since I'm not a crazy fast typer either lol.