By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Physical or Digital games? Which performs better.....

Tagged games:

Which performs better?

Physical 27 45.00%

Digital 10 16.67%

They are both the same. 23 38.33%

Total:60

Now Im wanting to buy Dynasty Warriors 8 I can either buy it digital on 16th July in America on PSN or Physical on 25th July from the local game shop.

I really want to get it early cause im a crazy DW fan but I've heard that Digital games can perform worse than physical ones, and when it comes to Dynasty Warriors games the frame rates are usually sh*t when lots of soldiers are on screen so I don't want to buy the digital version if its going to perform worse. 

Which should I get?

Around the Network

I don't see how this is even something to debate. Digital or retail its going to run the same regardless. HDD transfer rates are faster than The transfer rate of the BRD in PS3.

ListerOfSmeg said:
I don't see how this is even something to debate. Digital or retail its going to run the same regardless. HDD transfer rates are faster than The transfer rate of the BRD in PS3.

So what your saying is that they are the same but there not?

Here have a nice article on it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-disc-vs-digital-delivery

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Usually digital should perform better.

Around the Network

On next gen consoles every game will need to be installed completely to disc if I understood that correctly, though this can be done in background while playing the game.

That will make physical and digital versions perform the same when it comes to loading assets.

same. only way i see digital better is running on a SSD.

Some games performs better on HDD than discs... so digital version is better... SDD give a really nice jump in performance for these games.

But most of games perform the same.

They should both work the same but data transfer from HDD is faster, so if there was a benefit it would be digital but most of the time its because the processor cant process fast enough to keep up with everything on screen. It will really depend on the game

Physical.

Because everybody except Nintendo makes proprietary memory, digital actually comes with a hidden expense. You have to buy memory to fit the game onto, and usually at a hefty premium. Sony memory cards for the Vita, for example, are four times more expensive per gigabyte than the conventional SD cards the 3DS uses. Console hard drives are the same way, but not quite as expensive. By extension, installing from a disk takes less time than downloading on the internet. It's not even close unless you've got something like a T1 line.

Digitial is also just flat out more expensive, too. It doesn't directly compete with used games the way a physical disk would on a shelf. New physical games are usually within a few dollars of the used price at a retailer. Digital? Almost always more expensive.

Does digital keep your collection organized? Sort of not really. If you have anything beyond a basic collection you will spend as much time browsing through your digital shelf to get to a game as you would thumbing across a physical shelf and putting a disk in. You really have to be lazy to not be willing to get up off your couch for the two seconds it takes.

The only real advantage digital has is it reduces physical clutter. As someone who has moved recently, I appreciate reducing physical clutter, but if this is only relevant to people who are moving, it's reasonably special case. Sometimes people argue about scratching disks, but I haven't scratched a disk in ten years.

Digital's big weakness, though, is that I can't lend it out. Even single player gaming is a social activity you share with friends. You talk about goofy adventures, weird plot twists, and game-breaking glitches. Making it so I can't lend a friend my copy is a major value lost.