By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is so good about Turn-based battle system? (FF XV)

Tagged games:

So you're the biggest fan of FFXV? Sorry buddy, I watched the first trailer live and followed every (tiny) bit of news since. How far away did you see the rebranding coming? I saw it a continent away, when that first leaked video came out like a year ago now? (even if it is fake, allow me to refute that someone is a genius for being able to take the wind out of the sails of the re-pitch of one of the most anticipated games of recent time) Are you also aware of how shitty The Examiner is in reporting it? Get in line kid.

About turn-based combat, you are dead on in saying that it's the hardware limitations, that an action-RPG is just what the franchise needs right now. Turn based combat is becoming, if it hasn't already, a relic of days gone by. Even Ni No Kuni, which is more of a Final Fantasy game than FF13-anything could ever be, was in real time. So do RPG fans really need a splash screen, a loading time, and stagnant characters on a playing board to enjoy the combat? It's preposterous, but the one thing I do fear about XV is that it may play too similarly to Kingdom Hearts. That's not necessarily a bad thing for me, because I'm a fan of both series and I know I'll enjoy both, but I could just see Reddit now like "THIS GAME, AND THIS GAME.....-some dumb image macro-.....ARE THE SAME GAME," and it'll be super annoying.

Another thing I'm afraid of is that XV may play too similar to the Devil May Cry reboot, which I also liked, but it would be sad to play a game that I've been waiting 7+ years for twice. Let me explain. In DmC, you can pull yourself toward enemies and objects similar to the way Noctis does, only in DmC you can also pull them toward you. The similarities almost become glaring when you play the Vergil's Downfall DLC. Vergil uses his swords to teleport himself and enemies/objects, and it's instantaneous just like Noctis. There are also RPG elements as you also develop Dante's/Vergil's abilities. It could even be argued that DmC's RPG elements have more depth than Final Fantasy, as your performance in combat determines how fast you level up. In Final Fantasy, you get the same amount of EXP regardless of how well you do in battle.

I will end with this; though combat does not determine how good a game is, it does mainly comprise the "game" aspect of a "video game." Regardless of all that, I'm still really, really excited for this game, by all accounts. I'm excited to play the combat, meet the characters, get to know them and grow with them, explore the world Square has worked so long to create (provided it's a bit larger than FFXIII's world, they heavily presumed players to care about the world from the jump, and that's partly why it wasn't that great), god I hope there's really a World Map and airships and chocobos that are different colors with different abilities and omg I'm setting myself up for major disappointment aren't I?

Sources:

Versus XIII leaked video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMNywn0rCDw

DmC Vergil's Downfall Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aC5StUV9M4

Around the Network
DoubleyewTeaEph said:

So you're the biggest fan of FFXV? Sorry buddy, I watched the first trailer live and followed every (tiny) bit of news since. How far away did you see the rebranding coming? I saw it a continent away, when that first leaked video came out like a year ago now? (even if it is fake, allow me to refute that someone is a genius for being able to take the wind out of the sails of the re-pitch of one of the most anticipated games of recent time) Are you also aware of how shitty The Examiner is in reporting it? Get in line kid.

About turn-based combat, you are dead on in saying that it's the hardware limitations, that an action-RPG is just what the franchise needs right now. Turn based combat is becoming, if it hasn't already, a relic of days gone by. Even Ni No Kuni, which is more of a Final Fantasy game than FF13-anything could ever be, was in real time. So do RPG fans really need a splash screen, a loading time, and stagnant characters on a playing board to enjoy the combat? It's preposterous, but the one thing I do fear about XV is that it may play too similarly to Kingdom Hearts. That's not necessarily a bad thing for me, because I'm a fan of both series and I know I'll enjoy both, but I could just see Reddit now like "THIS GAME, AND THIS GAME.....-some dumb image macro-.....ARE THE SAME GAME," and it'll be super annoying.

Man, i wonder what would happen if me and thinkman were to fight, who loves final fantasy ix more :D

And prepare to be dissapointed, because final fantasy xv will play exactly like kingdomhearts

VXIII said:

Some good points.

Imo people are overestimating the strategic factore in turn-based battle systems. most of the time the player would just use the most powerful attack available. However, there is no reason not to merge that into an action RPG, you get a dynamic battle system in addition to the command list which cam be used to plan your next moves.

Seems you haven't played old cRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Planscape: Torment. Life is really cheap there if you don't know how to use your characters in proper fashion - and that in most cases really does not mean using most powerful attack available. Strategy is everything there.

My favorite Turn-Based game has to be the way it was done in.

Wild Arms 3

They put a good bit of effort into making you think it wasnt 100% turn-based. Great and highly underrated game!

DoubleyewTeaEph said:

You might not believe this,  but I actually had a dream about this game at some point, I swear it xD, and it played awesome. let's just agree to disagree. I do respect your passion though, you have created an account here for it after all :p

Around the Network

in before Noctis will be in FFXIV!

CPU: Ryzen 9950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Nem said:

Strategy.

In the turn based system you can strategise your actions in advance (you also have more of a grip on the damage each spell and attack does) and you can controls all characters.

On the action system you dont strategise and plan, you react. And usually you only control one character.

Its not like i dislike either one, both are enjoyable in their own way. If i had to choose one i would prefer the turn based though.

And easy way to compare it would be to compare chess to sports. One is the exercise of the mind and the other is an exercise of the muscles.

My very first thought after reading the OP was about Chess.  In my opinion, Chess is the most amazing game I've ever played.  Because it's turn-based, it becomes a tactical battle which requires and rewards thought over reflexes.  When a battle system is real-time, on the other hand, it has to be dumbed down to a certain degree or most people will be crushed.  A different skill-set is required.

Personally, I love difficult turn-based games to death.  I will always, always choose them over active battle systems.  I have enough games that test my reflexes, I want more that test my ability to reason.

Now, that being said, I still judge each game on its own merits.  I liked FFXIII just fine and I'll certainly not whine about FFXV because it's different.  However, yeah, I really want more turn-based RPGs.

I would love to see Final Fantasy return to the Active Time Battle system from IV-IX. Turn based but a little more faster paced. Or at least something like Xenoblade, which was close to the battle system from XII just done better.

WiiU Network ID:  the_Ultros

PSN: Anthaleigh

Xbxox Live:  campblood1980

HoloDust said:
VXIII said:

Some good points.

Imo people are overestimating the strategic factore in turn-based battle systems. most of the time the player would just use the most powerful attack available. However, there is no reason not to merge that into an action RPG, you get a dynamic battle system in addition to the command list which cam be used to plan your next moves.

Seems you haven't played old cRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Planscape: Torment. Life is really cheap there if you don't know how to use your characters in proper fashion - and that in most cases really does not mean using most powerful attack available. Strategy is everything there.

I actually have not. I understand turn base could be important is in a strategy focused RPGs. but I really meant general RPGs especially FF franchise.

What games are good action rpgs?

''Hadouken!''