By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom: PS3 harddrive install worth it!

Uncharted does have load times. The initial load of the level (spinning gold) and then the cut scenes between levels are used to mask load times.
Rabid Bunny
PS I don't like the thought of the install, but it most likely isn't a big deal.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Well, I guarntee you they learned their lesson from all the bitching. I doubt we'll see a game install to a hard-drive for a console, in the near future, when it's not absolutely necessary.

It's a shame, most of the bitching was from Xbox fanboys attempting to find some way to claim superiority on another multiplat.

It's gonna cost us quicker load times in the future.

Honestly, what ADHD non-functional retard can't leave their PS3 on for 20 minutes in exchange for even marginally quicker load times? That's about has honest as I can get.

Bitching about this is either: Pretend, or Retarded. Some people just look for excuses to bitch, I swear.

Oh yeah? Did it ever cross your mind a HDD has a limited capacity, especially the 20GB version? People need to delete their games if this nonsense continues.

I, for one, despise this "console turning into a PC" trend.

I'm with you!  If I want compulsory installs for any game I'll go to my pc.  I want to pop up a game in my console and play It inmediatelly.    

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

LordTheNightKnight said:
It's a shame Sony couldn't have designed the PS3 to just stream and load from the HDD, the way the Xbox apparently did, or better yet, used RAM, as the Wii, GC, and the new PSP do.

Then you wouldn't need to install for load times.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

The PS3 is far superior at streaming than any other console. It has a faster processor, faster RAM, and more available bandwidth. Streaming is exactly what the PS3 architecture was designed for.

@ MrMarc

Surely the Xbox and 360 are more responsible for bridging the gap between PC gaming and console gaming. For starters, they both use a directX variant and have processors (more) similar to those found in home computers. The similarity between Xbox and PC games is one of the reasons MS have had less success in Europe (where PC gaming is still popular).

Also, I don't understand your comment about RAM limiting the ability to stream in the background. The superior streaming capabilites of console CPUs and high system bandwidth are among the reasons consoles don't require as much RAM. If additional RAM is required, you should be able to use the HDD as a page file to act as (very slow) RAM.

That said, the install on DMC4 should definitely be optional. 

MrMarc said:
Katilian said:

I don't see why games which 'require' HDD installation don't just do it dynamically. Basically, if the data isn't available on the HDD, copy it over in the background. You might need a small amount of the game copied over initially, but after that you'd be set. If it was smart, you could set it up to stream as far into the game as possible in the background until the entire data was copied, so it would be done within the first hour of the game.

While that's certainly a good idea on paper I think in reality it would cripple the already minimal ammounts of RAM the consoles have to offer. 

Maybe for a high-end PC game which would be run on something with... I don't know a minimum of 4GB's of RAM this may work? Other than that though it doesn't sound too feasible with this generation's hardware, on consoles at least.

It really depends on how you buffer from the drive. Theroetically, if memory was a premium, you could copy from the drive a single byte at a time, but this obviously wouldn't be the most efficent either. At a meg a second (only requiring one meg of memory to transfer) you could copy around 3.5gig in an hour. Remembering that this would need to be a background operation, you wouldn't want to be saturating the busses either, so assumably there would be a sweet spot as a compromise.

Not knowing the technical details of the PS3, I can't really comment on how feasible this actually is, but given that dynamic loading is doable on significantly less powerful systems, the idea of dynamic caching isn't far fetched.

hardcore gamers are the ones who are more likely to be willing to 'install' a console game

casual gamers won't like it...they don't know how to, nor want to know how to, manage hard disk space to make room...they don't wanna bring home a blockbuster game and then have to wait 20 mins

so this likely isn't a very big issue on hardcore consoles for hardcore games...but it will be on casual consoles or for casual games

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network

Thank you so much capcom. That's all that I've been trying to say.

@ Fastrabbit.

Casuals can't manage hard drive space? However do they manage to download XBLA games like Uno? Or how can they download VC games, since you'll run out of the Wiis virtual memory fairly quickly? Hmm... there are a few flaws in your argument.

Maybe I'm the only one, buy I'm thrilled about this...I'll get home from work...pop in DMC4, start installing it, grab dinner while it's installing, drink a beer, & start playing the game with no more load times.

Then when I finish it, I'll delete the 5 GB (which DOES NOT DELETE YOUR SAVED GAMES, DUH!!! THEY ARE SEPARATE)

And if I ever want to play it again, I'll just reinstall it during dinner or when I'm taking a dump, etc. and I'll have all my old "saved" game files still.

No big deal, and it cuts out on load times when it matters...when I'm PLAYING the game.

Quit whining and trying to make a big deal out of a nice feature.

Note:  I'll give you something to complain about...my buddy bought Burnout Paradise for his Core 360 (no HD) and can't play it online....now that is a bummer. (I don't have the issue because my 360 has a 20GB hard drive).

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

TheRealMafoo said:
I have a choice if I want to DL it or not, as I have both consoles. I will be getting the PS3 version. How about you madskillz, what version will you get?

360. I am not budgeting 25 minutes of time to install it. LOL, Mr. Magoo. I will probably get a copy from Capcom anyhow ... 

DragonLord said:

Maybe I'm the only one, buy I'm thrilled about this...I'll get home from work...pop in DMC4, start installing it, grab dinner while it's installing, drink a beer, & start playing the game with no more load times.

Thats the thing though, you're NOT going to be playing it without loading times. The loading times will be there, they will not be significantly reduced, they won't be a case of a split second and in you're in the level.  I guarantee you that.  

I dislike what Capcom have done because it might tempt other companies into doing it.

Optional install = great, forced install = horrendous idea.

Imagine if a few more games do this. Suddenly you could own merely 4 games and be unable to just pop any of them in and start playing. Want to play DMC4? well you better delete one of the other games and reinstall it. The next week you want to play the game you deleted? Well delete DMC4 and install that!

It's just a bad idea. At 5GB a pop imagine how fast the hard drive would fill up. Especially people with the 20gb drive. I mean if Capcom do this with Bionic commando and lost planet too then suddenly Ps3 owners could already have 15GB full up.

So casual gamer unfriendly it's crazy.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.