By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom: PS3 harddrive install worth it!

"While the game is loading, you get to watch a really nifty series of screens that completely catch you up on the DMC4 backstory. Think of it as compressing the last three 'seasons' into a single info blast, accompanied by some fantastic DMC artwork." 

"the PS3 version of the game has near-Super Nintendo speed load times. You'll be amazed how fast levels load, the virtually instantaneous transition from cut scenes to action and that you’re continuously playing the game, as opposed to staring at loading screens of a door opening every time you move from one room to the next."

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/02/05/capcom-dont-worry-the-5gb-devil-may-cry-install-is-worth-it 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

of course they are going to say this, there not going to make you do something then say, yep its a waste

hopefully it is true

however, realize that they are obv gonna say this either way...they don't want people to not buy the game because of the d/l

so it's likely true, but 3rd party accounts or getting the game and seeing for yourself is much more accurate than what the maker says

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

Nice that it's from Ars Technica though :P, and hey, at least they gave you something to do while it installs xD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

now if mico were to come out and say they should have had the instal you would know its a one up on them

Around the Network
MikeB said:

"While the game is loading, you get to watch a really nifty series of screens that completely catch you up on the DMC4 backstory. Think of it as compressing the last three 'seasons' into a single info blast, accompanied by some fantastic DMC artwork."

"the PS3 version of the game has near-Super Nintendo speed load times. You'll be amazed how fast levels load, the virtually instantaneous transition from cut scenes to action and that you’re continuously playing the game, as opposed to staring at loading screens of a door opening every time you move from one room to the next."

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/02/05/capcom-dont-worry-the-5gb-devil-may-cry-install-is-worth-it

The SNES hasn't any noticiable load times, one advantage of cartridges, streaming from any media large amounts of data has a noticiable load time, even if is two or three seconds... this is just PR...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Well, I guarntee you they learned their lesson from all the bitching. I doubt we'll see a game install to a hard-drive for a console, in the near future, when it's not absolutely necessary.

It's a shame, most of the bitching was from Xbox fanboys attempting to find some way to claim superiority on another multiplat.

It's gonna cost us quicker load times in the future.

Honestly, what ADHD non-functional retard can't leave their PS3 on for 20 minutes in exchange for even marginally quicker load times? That's about has honest as I can get.

Bitching about this is either: Pretend, or Retarded. Some people just look for excuses to bitch, I swear.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Wow. I didn't know that - let me check to see if I have a pulse. Yepp ... gotta love the PR spin ...

MikeB said:

That's what they wrote but this is what I saw:

"We're showing you 20 minutes of concept art since it's better than looking at just a progress bar. Hey, most new PC games today do this already so why shouldn't we?"

"By sacrificing a mere 20 minutes you're going to see mere seconds taken off of load times that you won't notice anyways!"

My problem with this whole ordeal is the way the PS3 especially is making console gaming more like PC gaming. When you take into account what PC gamers have to go through to get their games installed, updated etc, this is NOT a good thing.

I guarantee you as well that there will be noticable loading on DMC4 for the PS3, PC gamers don't even have the luxury of seamless play.

Installing games should NOT be a part of the console experience, I said this before in the other thread, at the very most it should be entirely optional. Not everyone is going to like using a quarter of their 20GB's, and 5 GB's out of 40 or 60 is a hefty chunk as well. Oh and another thing, PC gamers don't even have to wait 20 minutes for a 5GB game to install!

If other game developers take this route of mandatory game caching, it's bad for console gaming. Really bad.