By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “Certain” AAA IP Needs 10 Million Copies to Break Even says

riderz13371 said:
Wagram said:
It's probably Call of Duty.

He said new IP

Oh, my bad. Probably Destiny then I would imagine.

Around the Network
pezus said:
DamnTastic said:
A question. It sais introduced.
So this means first time shown to the world right?

This can only be the division I guess

CliffyB didn't actually say that. No idea where the article writer got that from.

I think it's just Cliffy not knowing what he's talking about, as sometimes is the case

Alright, thx.

Because I don't think the division could sell that much.. But destiny can

pezus said:
oni-link said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
You guys actually think Destiny will sell 10 million? Do you know how hard it is for a game to sell 10 million copies? It is not like it happens on a monthly basis.

It will easily sell 10m. It will be on at least 4 platforms and it's made by Bungie and advertised by Activision (CoD says hello )

Wishful thinking...but miracles do happen!!!

2.5m per platform is really not wishful thinking. A Naughty Dog new IP can match their best selling titles, why can't Bungie's new IP match their best selling titles? It will, I'm sure of it. As long as there are no unexpected problems.

2.5 mil for each platform for it's maiden launch year!!! It's not going to happen!!! Maybe it will do 5-6mil but 10mil is lunacy for a new IP!!!

Destiny or Watch_Dogs

but there is no chance in hell they will sell over 10mil

Click HERE and be happy 

pezus said:
oni-link said:
pezus said:
oni-link said:
Boutros said:
Probably Destiny. It looks massive and it can definitely sell 10 million. But it can especially be the beginning of a new big franchise and so the investement is probably worth it.

You must be dreaming or must be something reallly good b/c I doubt that they could even sell that much two years into PS4/X1 lifetime.  Cliffy is saying it needs to sell 10 mil at launch price which is crazy for platforms that have just launched!!!  Maybe if they include PC, mobile/smart devices they could hit that number.  Otherwise they're SoL!!!

Destiny is for PS3/360 too

new IP which will be gimped on dated systems are not going to sell boatloads. 

According to...? This isn't a regular new IP...What did Halo sell, on a single...badly performing platform?

Halo is an established franchise...Destiny...well we have yet to find out that games destiny!!!

Around the Network
oni-link said:
Boutros said:
Probably Destiny. It looks massive and it can definitely sell 10 million. But it can especially be the beginning of a new big franchise and so the investement is probably worth it.

You must be dreaming or must be something reallly good b/c I doubt that they could even sell that much two years into PS4/X1 lifetime.  Cliffy is saying it needs to sell 10 mil at launch price which is crazy for platforms that have just launched!!!  Maybe if they include PC, mobile/smart devices they could hit that number.  Otherwise they're SoL!!!

Why can't Destiny sell 10 million copies? The game is coming out on PS3 and 360 as well and Activision is preparing a huge marketing push for the game.

And he didn't mention anything about full price sales. It's your assumption but it very well could be wrong. Companies do make lifetime expectations that take into consideration the devaluation of a game over time. So the 10 million could be that.

Assassin's Creed sold over 10 million and it was a new IP on a new generation of consoles.

oni-link said:
pezus said:
oni-link said:
pezus said:
spurgeonryan said:
You guys actually think Destiny will sell 10 million? Do you know how hard it is for a game to sell 10 million copies? It is not like it happens on a monthly basis.

It will easily sell 10m. It will be on at least 4 platforms and it's made by Bungie and advertised by Activision (CoD says hello )

Wishful thinking...but miracles do happen!!!

2.5m per platform is really not wishful thinking. A Naughty Dog new IP can match their best selling titles, why can't Bungie's new IP match their best selling titles? It will, I'm sure of it. As long as there are no unexpected problems.

2.5 mil for each platform for it's maiden launch year!!! It's not going to happen!!! Maybe it will do 5-6mil but 10mil is lunacy for a new IP!!!

red dead redemption even though technicially isnt a new IP but its still a completely new franchise to pretty much everybody. it sold 12.5Million. 

EricFabian said:
Destiny or Watch_Dogs

but there is no chance in hell they will sell over 10mil

Watch Dogs might seeing it's spread out over PS3, 360, Wii U, PC,  X1 and PS4.  If it doesn't it'll be at least close for that game.  I wasn't really impressed with Destiny...visually it wasn't as impressive as the other titles for the upcoming next-gen systems (and I don't think any next-gen systems were that visually impressive compared to the visuals of top tier games I have on my 360)

Watchdogs sales prediction:

360: ~ 2.5-3 mil

PS3: ~2.1-2.6 mil

X1:  ~1-1.5mil

PS4: ~1.5-2mil

Wii U: 300k-450K

Miguel_Zorro said:
It's Destiny, Division, or Titanfall I think.

Destiny will sell 10 million units, as will Titanfall if it goes multiplatform.

Titanfall won't go multi for at least 2 years!!!

Someone is trolling Cliffy B or he is trolling us. It doesn't much to troll after all. 

Think about it. $300 to $400 million development budget.