By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “Certain” AAA IP Needs 10 Million Copies to Break Even says

ijjawimisah said:
spurgeonryan said:
GTAV or The Last of US. Or Pikmin 3, it was in development for many years!

Not pikmin I assure you, probs GTA cause of da amount of graphics guys you need to make that huge open world. Pikmin's the sort of franchise where u can reuse the same model six bazillion times and it will still look different depending where you place it.

He said a new IP revealed at E3, Pikmin/GTA are not new IPs. And as I said above, Destiny is the only new IP that can break the mark of 200 million USD cost of The Old Republic, The DIvision could be a second option.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
I'm telling you. Its watch_dogs.

Multplatform to the n-th degree.
Whole new engine.
Extremely defined open-world where AI is unique to everything. Far more than GTA.

Destiny works a lot better

MMO trappings, cross gen, Whole new engine, biggest game Bungie has ever made, positioned to be Activision's next megafranchise, so expensive that MS passed on it.

“It’s a sizeable investment. It’s probably one of the biggest investments in a new IP that’s ever been made in this industry."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/destiny-is-a-sizeable-investment-for-activision

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I had no clue that so much money was put into Ryse: Son of Rome.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

20happyballs said:
My #1 guess would be Destiny. Activision has already stated that they've put a lot of money into the IP. They even went so far as to say that they've probably invested more money on Destiny than any other new IP has ever received.

I also think that Destiny, among all the other new IPs, has the best chance at actually selling 10 million copies. Destiny is going to be on many platforms, current and next gen. The studio behind it, Bungie, has one of the largest hardcore fan bases. And Activision is sure to spend ridiculous sums of money on advertising the game.

Really? Doesn't Halo have one of the largest Hardcore fanbases? There's no guarantee that Halo fans are going to follow Bungie into it's new IP.

But yeah I think Destiny is probably one of the games with a bigger than usual investment. Let's hope it's worth it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

its Destiny and this guy is ridiculous, attention seeking and tbh doesn't make amazing games always so his opinion is nothing.

Around the Network
F0X said:

We have a winner! Yes, it is Ryse, those quick-time-events cost a fortune. If they actually change when you press the wrong button, the game would cost 1 billion dollars.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

DucksUnlimited said:
spurgeonryan said:
GTAV or The Last of US. Or Pikmin 3, it was in development for many years!

GTAV is the only one out of those 3 that seems reasonable.

True, because GTA 5 is a new I.P.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

PlaystaionGamer said:
its Destiny and this guy is ridiculous, attention seeking and tbh doesn't make amazing games always so his opinion is nothing.

He is ridiculous, and I think i am going to buy Destiny them, if they put all this effort in it, they deserve my hard earned money =D

WagnerPaiva said:
F0X said:

We have a winner! Yes, it is Ryse, those quick-time-events cost a fortune. If they actually change when you press the wrong button, the game would cost 1 billion dollars.

Really? I thought it was mainly wasted on Kinect-based R&D.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Certain New IP needs to sell 10 million to break even

Could it be Destiny?
Could it be Titans?

I can't think of anything else they showed as a new IP that looked like it would have overly ambitious budget.