By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “Certain” AAA IP Needs 10 Million Copies to Break Even says

Well some movies need to make $400 million at the box office for the studio to break even (The Lone Ranger being the latest example that needs to but will totally fail to get there).

I hope he's not using that statement as some kind of segue to start banging on about how used games are killing the industry and DRM is its great saviour. A game that NEEDS to sell 10 million units NEEDS to be that good. If it fails to sell that much then it's the fault of the people who made it that they set such a rarely achieved benchmark.

Heck making a game that requires 5 million in sales is a high risk.

One thing's for sure it ain't an exclusive, only a multiplat has a genuine chance at those sorts of sales, except for certain Nintendo games. Not even the Halo name is good for 10 million sales now.

Let's hope it isn't FFXV, I hope it will be a great game but I don't think the FF name is good for 10 million.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

^ Even only one Halo game was good for 10 million to begin with, unfortunately.

binary solo said:

Let's hope it isn't FFXV, I hope it will be a great game but I don't think the FF name is good for 10 million.

It's not FF XV.

Even if Square-Enix says that they consider it a new IP, they don't. It has the "XV" for a reason.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

GTA5?

Maybe FF15. That game has been in development for 7 years, I very much doubt a 7 year development cycle is a lucrative business model.

Or maybe FF14? Its an MMO, the cost of development. maintaining servers, and constantly updating the game could mean very high costs. In the case of MMOs developers can be extravagant with the development costs, because the subscription service pays for the game year after year. An option unavailable to offline games.

My #1 guess would be Destiny. Activision has already stated that they've put a lot of money into the IP. They even went so far as to say that they've probably invested more money on Destiny than any other new IP has ever received.

I also think that Destiny, among all the other new IPs, has the best chance at actually selling 10 million copies. Destiny is going to be on many platforms, current and next gen. The studio behind it, Bungie, has one of the largest hardcore fan bases. And Activision is sure to spend ridiculous sums of money on advertising the game.

Around the Network

My bet is Destiny.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

and that's y jap devs will always be in business compared to there western counterparts if this is true!

It has to be Destiny or The Division. They're both next-gen shooter MMO games. Open world... what else? They look like they would cost the most to make out of everything shown at E3 considering what we know about the games.

Destiny?

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Destiny or Watch Dogs but I'm leaning on Destiny.