By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If The Wii U was as powerful as PS4/XboxOne would it have gotten more 3rd party support?

would Nintendo have gotten more/as much support if they were as powerful?

Yes 74 41.57%

No 87 48.88%

see results 17 9.55%

Total:178
VGKing said:
EricFabian said:
VGKing said:
More? Yes. Equal? No.
There would still be the issue that 3rd party games have a hard time selling on Nintendo systems.

you are 

Ok..? I have no idea who that is.

:P

Phoenix Wright http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Phoenix_Wright

Around the Network

More ,sure why not. As much as the other two, doesn't seem likely.

Mr Khan said:
HoloDust said:

Yes, it would. This explains it best:

"If the Wii U was immensely popular we would probably put more focus into seeing how we could mitigate this, because it is a technical problem," Bach said. "It is a technical problem at its core because the Frostbite engine is not designed to run on that hardware, and the hardware is quite different from the next-gen consoles and the previous gen consoles."

But the Wii U is at least as powerful as current generation consoles and Frostbite 3 is designed to be scalable - we'll see current-gen versions of Battlefield 4, for example. With Frostbite 2 appearing to work on Wii U fine, does the argument about having technical difficulties really still stand up?

"From our perspective it's not as powerful as it should be to be able to run a Battlefield game," Bach responded. "Straight out of the box, as in Frostbite 3, it doesn't run that well on the Wii U, which means it takes a lot of time and energy from us that would then take from something else."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-ea-and-nintendo-the-collapse-of-the-unprecedented-relationship

It wouldn't even need to be as powerful as XOne, I think even half of that would be sufficient for much better support (4850/5750 level GPU), no matter the user base (and no, WiiU is not 1/2x XOne, no matter what some silly individuals here are blindly believing).

lol, taking anything EA says at face value.

Yeah, I know, why should I believe some DICE guy and his perfectly reasonable explanation on how tech and user base affect their business decisions?

In fact, it is much more plausible that all major 3rd parties (except for that treacherous Ubisoft) are in secret "I hate Nintendo" club, and that WiiU's being underpowered for 8th gen console, making ports difficult, has absolutely nothing to do with it.

/sarcasm

Absolutely not. Certain developers *Cough* EA *Cough* just put out lackluster attempts on Nintendo consoles in an effort to say they tried but it didnt sell well.

Nintendo consoles have always suffered a from developers not putting out full games, or leaving the Wii/WiiU version to a seperate studio from the main development, and they expect Nintendo fans to not notice.

But gamers dont buy crappy games

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

HoloDust said:
Mr Khan said:
HoloDust said:

Yes, it would. This explains it best:

"If the Wii U was immensely popular we would probably put more focus into seeing how we could mitigate this, because it is a technical problem," Bach said. "It is a technical problem at its core because the Frostbite engine is not designed to run on that hardware, and the hardware is quite different from the next-gen consoles and the previous gen consoles."

But the Wii U is at least as powerful as current generation consoles and Frostbite 3 is designed to be scalable - we'll see current-gen versions of Battlefield 4, for example. With Frostbite 2 appearing to work on Wii U fine, does the argument about having technical difficulties really still stand up?

"From our perspective it's not as powerful as it should be to be able to run a Battlefield game," Bach responded. "Straight out of the box, as in Frostbite 3, it doesn't run that well on the Wii U, which means it takes a lot of time and energy from us that would then take from something else."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-ea-and-nintendo-the-collapse-of-the-unprecedented-relationship

It wouldn't even need to be as powerful as XOne, I think even half of that would be sufficient for much better support (4850/5750 level GPU), no matter the user base (and no, WiiU is not 1/2x XOne, no matter what some silly individuals here are blindly believing).

lol, taking anything EA says at face value.

Yeah, I know, why should I believe some DICE guy and his perfectly reasonable explanation on how tech and user base affect their business decisions?

In fact, it is much more plausible that all major 3rd parties (except for that treacherous Ubisoft) are in secret "I hate Nintendo" club, and that WiiU's being underpowered for 8th gen console, making ports difficult, has absolutely nothing to do with it.

/sarcasm

It is a contributing factor, but given that Nintendo has tried multiple different approaches towards garnering third party support (short of outright subsidizing them) and constantly come up short, we have to assume something more basic and childish is at play.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Nope. See Gamecube/N64.

Many 3rd parties want to see Nintendo go away and it doesn't matter what they include in the hardware.

more power and supporting standard Blu-ray, yes it would but Nintendo keep pushing hardware made for their games first and for third party devs second

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

nope

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

chapset said:
more power and supporting standard Blu-ray, yes it would but Nintendo keep pushing hardware made for their games first and for third party devs second

It uses a BR drive. Just not BR licensed for movies and therefore "proprietary". Also why the edges are rounded off. Same tech though. Gurantee no one is bitching about its media use.

They are either true in their want for a machine closer in power to others or simply don't want to support Nintendo in general and it wouldn't matter what Nintendo did.

Better? Yes, the same support? Doubt it. It might have have made ports to the console easier and less costly if it had more horsepower, and we might not have seen so many "we could do it, but would be costly" excuses. Instead, we'd probably see the usual "but our games are no match for Nintendo's 1st party titles, there's no way we could fully support them, it'll be suicide!"