By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jak 2 Is A Horrible Horrible Game

What's your favorite Jak?

Jak and Daxter 97 42.73%

Jak 2 36 15.86%

Jak 3 39 17.18%

Never played any. 55 24.23%

Total:227

I played Jak 2 when it first came out and I definitely didn't like it at first. The game seemed so different from the first iteration and so I was immediately turned off by it. However, still being a kid and only getting to handful of games in a year, I forced myself to keep playing. Thankfully I did because I definitely enjoyed the game a lot. But I don't remember how long it took me to like it. I don't remember if I still hated the game 5 hours in like you.

Around the Network

Jak 2 is tough as nails your first time through but after that it's fairly easy. It's my personal favorite in the series because I liked the enviroments and what the guns added to the gameplay. Jak 3 would probably be my favorite if it wasn't for all the vehicle missions, but all in all you should play through the entire trilogy and then judge the games. You never know, Jak 2 may just grow on you.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

hatmoza said:

Let me start by saying I only ever played the original Jak and Daxter until recently. I loved it a decade ago, and I enjoyed replaying it on my vita the last couple of weeks.

I never really got the chance to play the rest of the trilogy because I was stuck in a desert somewhere in the Middle East when Jak 2 and 3 came out. I always knew I would play them one day and the HD remake collection was my golden opportunity. Add to that, I've been hearing all these wonderful things on the forums over the years about how Jak 2 was the greatest in the trilogy for being dark, revenge game with an open world... so it goes without saying I was actually pretty excited to jump back in to the franchise.

I made a terrible mistake going into this game with high hopes. See, I was under the impression that this was going to be another platformer. You know with hidden collectible in an explorable, slightly bigger world. I thought I was going to search every nook and cranny in a variety of environments that were seamlessly connected.

Yeah I know I'm probably way late too the party to share my opinion on a 10 year old game, but I felt it necessary because of how flawed it is. First the distances you have to travel to progress in the game are just painful. I appreciate Naughty Dog trying to make an extremely large open world game but it just ended up being a  nuisance between you and your objective because the open world has nothing to offer. It works in Grand Theft Auto because you have the option to fool around, find collectables and do side missions, etc.

Second, and this would probably be the the number one rebuttal to my first criticism, the vehicles. "But hatmoza you haz teh vehicles!" Listen. I have played many games with terrible controls in my time. But the vehicles in Jak 2 take the fucking cake. Aside from the painful controls, you have the option to hover close to the ground or above the ground. When you travel close to the ground, you spend 90% of the time running over pedestrians with a high risk of hitting a patrol officer (another issue I'll get to later). When you hover above the ground there's absolutely no way you can drive your vehicle without slamming into oncoming traffic every 5 seconds, which adds more clunkiness to the already clunky driving controls.

Well crap I have to rush this now since I have to go.

Last patrols. The game is pretty much over once you alert security because the AI is mentally challenged. They respawn until you eventually die.

I'm only like five hours into the game and I'm bored to bits. The only time I have fun is when I'm outside the town in a platformy-ish type environment. I'm gonna try to give this game another chance.

Does the game get better?

But...there are collectibles. Lots of them. And different environments. Lots of them.

I don't know what you mean when you say the city has nothing to offer. There are plenty of side missions, and as I already said, collectibles.

As for the vehicles, I'm not really sure how the controls are clunky. You have a go button, a stop button, and an elevation change button. pretty straightforward. You've already acknowledged the problems with both levels of flight. That's why you need a combination of both. The trick is you need to learn how to avoid people and objects by switching back and forth from high to low, rather than from left to right. It takes some practice but you can get to the point where traversing through the city at a relatively fast pace without hitting anything is fairly easy.

You're supposed to escape the patrols, not fight an army of armed guards heads on lol

Jak 2 is by far, in my opinion, the best Jak game ever made.

A friend of my father first showed me Jak & Daxter when it was on the PS2, and I didn't really "enjoy" it, but it was a decent game for me at that time, a few months or years later he told me that he had Jak 2, and I didn't even finished Jak & Daxter, so I went to his place with very low expectatives, and when I played it, I have to say that, to date, it is one of the best games I have ever played, even better than any game of my beloved Ratchet & Clank franchise, and Jak 3 was a good one as well.

So it comes to which genre you like, Jak & Daxter is a decently-done platformer (not as good as Crash Bandicoot or Sly Cooper though) and Jak 2 and 3 are more like an open world weapon-based combat game (not as refined as Ratchet & Clank's combat play), but they all are great games in my opinion.

I can't say the same about The Lost Frontier.

i just got them and I'm not enjoying them at all.

Around the Network
lxhizy said:

Jak 2 is by far, in my opinion, the best Jak game ever made.

A friend of my father first showed me Jak & Daxter when it was on the PS2, and I didn't really "enjoy" it, but it was a decent game for me at that time, a few months or years later he told me that he had Jak 2, and I didn't even finished Jak & Daxter, so I went to his place with very low expectatives, and when I played it, I have to say that, to date, it is one of the best games I have ever played, even better than any game of my beloved Ratchet & Clank franchise, and Jak 3 was a good one as well.

So it comes to which genre you like, Jak & Daxter is a decently-done platformer (not as good as Crash Bandicoot or Sly Cooper though) and Jak 2 and 3 are more like an open world weapon-based combat game (not as refined as Ratchet & Clank's combat play), but they all are great games in my opinion.

I can't say the same about The Lost Frontier.

are they bringing out The ratchet & Clank HD collection on Vita? i guess you would know lol

I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it is definitely my least favourite game of the series, I only finished it because I wanted to see the story and refused to admit that I couldn't beat the game. But overall I agree with you, the vehicle handling is terrible, enemy patrols are a huge pain in the butt, if you accidentally hit them during a timed mission then you're pretty much fucked, and there are these long missions where if you die you'll have to start all the way from beginning.

Still, if you do have time I'd suggest you to give Jak 3 a try, it fixed almost all the problems that I had with Jak 2, the vehicle control is much better and the missions are quite interesting imo, it's actually my favourite game of the series even after the bad time I had with the second one.

Jak 2 was the best in the series

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

DucksUnlimited said:

You're supposed to escape the patrols, not fight an army of armed guards heads on lol

Is there a special way to get 'em off your ass because I've tried. They just keep finding me!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

iBlah said:

I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it is definitely my least favourite game of the series, I only finished it because I wanted to see the story and refused to admit that I couldn't beat the game. But overall I agree with you, the vehicle handling is terrible, enemy patrols are a huge pain in the butt, if you accidentally hit them during a timed mission then you're pretty much fucked, and there are these long missions where if you die you'll have to start all the way from beginning.

Still, if you do have time I'd suggest you to give Jak 3 a try, it fixed almost all the problems that I had with Jak 2, the vehicle control is much better and the missions are quite interesting imo, it's actually my favourite game of the series even after the bad time I had with the second one.

Is Jak 3 more like the first one or is it just a playable version of 2?

I really want to finish Jak 2 before I move on but it's just too painful.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson